Hardrive prices set to increase do to flooding in Thailand

Andrewr05

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I was going insane. I forgot about the flood but didn't realize that all the companies would try and rip us consumers off. I was checking the price for a build I have planned for in December and was astounded at the price of the drives. the cheapest 1TB drive on Newegg is over $120, that same drive was less than 60 last time i check about 3 weeks ago. I've never had Best Buy beat the prices on Newegg or Tiger Direct. At least now I know.

Why does everyone think that they are "being ripped off"?

You're not; it's the basic economics of supply and demand.

There is a demand for $200 1TB hard drives?

Call me crazy, but I get the impression that there is a serious decline in demand for hard drives as of late, that's the vibe I get from most people when discussing this situation.

That's how I understand supply and demand anyway, you have a high demand and low supply, you can raise prices, but here we have both a decrease in supply and decrease in demand.

Yeah so they ripping us off... But also at the same time being stupid, because if you sell at lower prices your going to sell more.

I'm holding out until prices drop again, cause it's just not worth it at this time.

but here we have both a decrease in supply and decrease in demand.

Demand for HDDs is higher than it has ever been...and it's near the Christmas season. SSDs aren't going into 99.9% of the machines being built today.

Why is that? Are they just not mainstream-ready yet?

They're too small and too expensive for OEMs to include them on every machine. The cost per GB is massive compared to even "expensive" HDDs.

Because some people look at the value of a product by the amount of money it takes to make it+ some profit for the maker. The cost of manufacturing the HDD has not gone up but the price to buy one has, so where is the extra cost coming from? Well you tell me. So in effect you are being ripped off.