Hardrive prices set to increase do to flooding in Thailand

Andrewr05

Yeah I have a few external drives that I was ready to sell, but decided to hang on to, as they weren't worth much in a sale. Now at least, they will fetch some reasonable sums, comparatively.

I have to admit - I thought that this (hard disk issues) was common knowledge, but at least people now understand why the prices are insane.

SSD drives don't need the same level of precision particle free environments that mechanical disks need, so production would never be too detrimentally impacted (plus most are made elsewhere/stocks are sufficient).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully what all of us have will last until things return to normal............... hopefully

I don't disagree or blame anyone who just buys the most drive they can for the least expensive price. I just can't bring myself to do that for my personal and business backup drives. All of the business stuff is also backed up offsite, but for my personal stuff I've gotta go with something I trust. And that has been WD Blacks for many, many years now. In all of that time only one has ever failed before a planned decommission and proactive replacement.

It's really brutal for people that ask me for a build at a price range of under $700. I ask at this point if they're okay with 250GB or 320GB of hard drive space, because their budget can't really support more than that right now.

I can't even get any, my local decent price pc shop had only 2 hd's left Sat past. they were 500 gb seagates and $100 a piece,2 weeks ago they were $49.95 each. He told me his supplier put a limit on what he can order, only 5 at a time so it's killing him on shipping. He used to order 20 and the shipping price would be the same as the 5. Bad time for a flood this close to xmas.

I paid like $60 for this samsung 1TB a year ago and now it is $139, competition should be trying to hurt WD not gouge consumers.

Sheesh 2TB for $229, I paid one $105 when I bought it.

Shoot I paid 105 for a usb 3.0 verbatim external with a 7 year warranty in September, guess I got on the boat at the right time.

This needs to get under control quick!

Edited by spectrascope

I paid like $60 for this samsung 1TB a year ago and now it is $139, competition should be trying to hurt WD not gouge consumers.

Sheesh 2TB for $229, I paid one $105 when I bought it.

Shoot I paid 105 for a usb 3.0 verbatim external with a 7 year warranty in September, guess I got on the boat at the right time.

This needs to get under control quick!

Supply and demand. They can charge more because there are less on the market. Any company would do the same thing.