BlaineBug

System freezes while gaming

Yes usually the manufacturer of your hd should have cloning software available on their site, but as waco said you are better off going with a clean install, but I would still load the os on your second drive and see if the problems are gone.Even if you have to partition it.

I will see if I can get my hands on one of my friend's smaller-capacity SATA drives to install Windows XP on to test. My secondary drive is absolutely packed with files and stuff, don't really want to format that to install Windows on it.

I was browsing around, I can get a Western Digital 500gb 16mb cache SATA 2.0 for about $100. Also the same price as the 320gb, as that is the capacity I have now.

A Western Digital 500gb 64mb cache SATA 2.0 is roughtly $130. Is the extra cache worth the price?

I will see if I can get my hands on one of my friend's smaller-capacity SATA drives to install Windows XP on to test. My secondary drive is absolutely packed with files and stuff, don't really want to format that to install Windows on it.

I was browsing around, I can get a Western Digital 500gb 16mb cache SATA 2.0 for about $100. Also the same price as the 320gb, as that is the capacity I have now.

A Western Digital 500gb 64mb cache SATA 2.0 is roughtly $130. Is the extra cache worth the price?

That's a LOT for a 500 GB drive!

EDIT: WOW prices have gone up. Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152238 1 TB for $99.99.

Hello everyone, I've been reading your post and it seems like your getting some where but if not try this. When the computer freezes you need to find out if its graphics or CPU/harddrive/mother/board/memory/PSU related. When it freezes what happens when you press the CAPS key? Does it still turn off and on? If it does then your issue is graphics card, graphics driver related. Test your card on another computer and if thats ok then reinstall your OS and drivers then recheck. If the CAPS light doesnt respond then you need to look at any overheating issue. If that is ok then you need to do independant tests. You need to test each part on a different computer because testing with the possiblility of a bad Motherboard or PSU can give you false readings when you test your ram/harddrive/and CPU. If you dont have a second computer or spare parts to swap out then you should have a tech look at it. The main thing is to determine whether its Graphics related by checking the TAB button as I said then move forward. (You have a second drive right? Test with it since your getting drive problem errors. swap the drive ports and retest.) Eliminate the possiblity of the MB. Do like someone said use the second drive for your OS and retest. Dont buy nothing yet until your confirmed. Hope this helps...

Edited by philanthropist

I have an interesting discovery. I believe the SATA-1 port on the motherboard is faulty.

Earlier, I disconnected my secondary harddrive and used that SATA cable to power my primary drive, hooked up to the SATA-2 port.

Upon booting in to windows, I ran HDTune, and sure enough, my harddrive was again getting roughly ~70-80 MB/sec transfer!

So, I turned off the system, switched the SATA cable to the SATA-1 port on the motherboard, and booted back up. The transfer was back down to about 4 MB/sec transfer.

So the SATA cable was not to blame.

I have both harddrives hooked up to the SATA-3 and SATA-4 ports on the motherboard and both drives are now getting ~70-80 MB/sec transfer.

SATA-2, SATA-3, and SATA-4 all seem to be OK, it is just SATA-1 that gives the ultra-low transfer rate!

I am not sure if this will fix my freezing issues or not....I still have to test the system with some gaming action, later on.

Edited by Officer_Dufus

I have an interesting discovery. I believe the SATA-1 port on the motherboard is faulty.

I have both harddrives hooked up to the SATA-3 and SATA-4 ports on the motherboard and both drives are now getting ~70-80 MB/sec transfer.

SATA-2, SATA-3, and SATA-4 all seem to be OK, it is just SATA-1 that gives the ultra-low transfer rate!

I am not sure if this will fix my freezing issues or not....I still have to test the system with some gaming action, later on.

I've had mb's with dead sata ports , as long as you don't use those ports they will run fine. So hopefully this one will also.

I gamed for about 20 minutes, no freeze. That must have been it. So strange....

So the SATA port still worked but at a bare minimum......that is odd in my opinion, how the system "mostly worked" but then it would have issues from time to time. 4 MB/second transfer is so slow I'm suprised it worked as well as it did for what I was using it for, music, internet, word processor, etc.

Damn! Glad you tried that. It's amazing that with all the brainpower here we all missed something so simple. :rofl:

No big deal, I'm just glad it's resolved. The system is as stable as ever, runs perfectly. Thanks for sticking with me til the end! Hopefully these threads may be able to help someone else with a similar problem in the future as well.

Damn! Glad you tried that. It's amazing that with all the brainpower here we all missed something so simple. :rofl:

Isn't that always the way, we are so used to solving serious issues (bad mb, cpu's , video cards and hd's ) we over look the simple fixes, back to computer repair 101.

Glad it's working good OD. :cheers: