my 1st build

Pollak

Hi I'm building my 1st pc...

As you probably know there is a lot of stuff u´ll have to learn so the last week I tried to build a decent imaginary pc with a 550€ budget.

I need a nice CPU for 3D rendering I use Maxwell Render (uses multiple threads and needs lots of ram).

I kinda want a nice looking build too and a future proof one

Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z S1155 Z68 micro-ATX

160€

Intel Core i7 i7-2600K 3,40 GHz Prozessor Quad-core

240€

Thermaltake SpinQ VT

50€

ATX Midi Cooler Master Elite 430 Black

50€

8GB DDR3 RAM 1600MHz-CL9 RipjawsX 2x4GB G-SKILL(will update later to 16GB)

50€

I still have DVDRW/sata´s

and a....

1.GTS450 I dont know if I should go dual sli with 2 450`s or buy a 2gb GTX 560TI later this year....???

2.I have a "new" modul 82+ 425w will this be enough for this system ??? (OC)

3.Are there any compatibility issues I oversaw ?

4.Will all this fit into the case and onto MOBO?

5.Could I do better with my limited budget

6.will there be/are there 6core cpu´s for the 1155 socket? (updating in 2 years.....)

7.Dual sli gives me 8x PCIe on the MIVZ but there isn't much of a difference between 8x and 16x right?

8.What about the RAM what should I look for? Is the RAM I chose any good?

anyways thx 4 help in advance and sorry for my poor English skills++

srry If I destroyed your forums with this thread...

Edited by Pollak

1.GTS450 I dont know if I should go dual sli with 2 450`s or buy a 2gb GTX 560TI later this year....???

I would go with the 560Ti

If you want to SLI then no.

don't see any right now.

yes

Wait for a sale?

6.will there be/are there 6core cpu´s for the 1155 socket? (updating in 2 years.....)

Intel changes socket with every CPU so no.

7.Dual sli gives me 8x PCIe on the MIVZ but there isn't much of a difference between 8x and 16x right?

nope not noticeable at all

seems fine

Do you game at all? Or is this purely a rendering machine?

I would probably say the 2GB 560ti

If too much, 460s instead of 450s.

Should be but you can get much better PSUs for cheap, so there really isn't a good reason to skimp so much. If means breaking the budget then go with it and only one 450/460. I wouldn't do sli with that.

Outside of the PSU concern, I don't see any. How much is the Thermaltake SpinQ VT? The CM Hyper 212+ is only $25 USD. I like how you are going Z68 since rendering is your primary focus. :thumbsup:

I don't see any reason why it should not, your biggest concern will be the video card you select. Read some reviews and find out how long of a card people are able to fit inside. The 450 is about 7" long and 460 2GB is 8.25".

Well all can - it is just a matter of finding the right deals at the right time. If you don't rush it and wait for good deals as they come is the best way.

Possibly - Link

Supposedly there will be 8 cores on SB-e but only 6 will be active. See above link - though I cannot confirm the accuracy.

Shouldn't be but I wouldn't run SLI anyway off of a 425w power supply

I can't view the link but from the information you put into the post it sounds like it should work as it sounds like 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24 timings, CL9 DDR3 memory. If you render a lot and game little I would put a much higher priority on getting 16GB of ram then worrying about a high powered GPU solution as constant rendering/playing HD movies can suck up the ram.

That motherboard is overkill for what you need. You would be good with an ASUS z68 pro board for nearly half the price.

Read carefully - he is looking at the mATX Gene-Z board, which is actually less expensive that many ATX sized boards. At least here in the states, the Asus Z68 Pro board is about $40USD higher.

Other than that - I'd agree with everyone else that has pointed out concerns with your current power supply. I don't know a thing about the unit you're running, other than I've never heard of them before. And in most situations that's a bad sign.

DO NOT skimp on the power supply. It is the heart of your system....... and usually the first place inexperienced builders try to cut corners with. Look for a unit in the 550 - 650W range from a reputable brand. Corsair, Antec, Coolermaster, PC&C, OCZ,

Silverstone, Thermaltake etc. Give us the max amount you can possibly spend on a power supply and we will make a recommendation.

Fogel hits on an important point regarding the amount of memory you plan on installing so follow his recommendations based on memory / video card choice based on what you're going to do the most of.

I would definitely take the SLi twin GTS450's off the table regardless. There are better solutions, whether that's a single GTX460 or even a single GTX560Ti.

THX for the help

I do game a little but not much I have no time for it atm,I wont go with a sli setup I just didnt want my card go to waste.

will buy a 560ti instead, probably next month along with a power supply and some fans....(boght a be quite! dark fan 140mm)

speaking of fans the SpinQ VT CPU cooler seems like a bad choice

it probably would not fit in my case, It looks super nice tho.

corsair H50 seems nice

why do fans have a 3pin connector and the mobo has 4pin connectors for fans on it ? that's my biggest concern now

anyway I will post once I get my parts

Good morning Pollak. The fourth wire on the fan is the PWM wire (pulse width modulation). Here is a description of the pin outs on a 4 wire m/b header;

Pin 1 = Ground / Black on fan wire

Pin 2 = 12v / Yellow on fan wire

Pin 3 = Sense / Green on fan wire

Pin 4 = Control / Blue on fan wire

The header / fan wires are backwards compatible (i.e. meaning you can use a 3 wire fan on a 4 pin motherboard header or visa-versa). However, when using a 3 wire fan connected to a 4 pin m/b header, the fan is either on or off and you don't have any fan speed control via PWM.

I think you made a great choice on the 560Ti card. It will do anything you want/need to do and is perfect for a mid class build at nominal resolutions, medium quality settings and reasonable AA (x4 AA or so) in most gaming titles.

Again, let us know your locale and budget and we'll get you pointed in the right direction on a power supply.

Don't go with the h50. Huge waste of money. For ten USD more go with the noctua Nh-D14. Its quiet, better preforming, and its air so you don't have to worry about any leaks. However, if you want water cooling for bragging rights go with the h80 and find a good deal online. Believe it or not most of the reviews, even of the h100 all still say that the noctua beats it out. Just be prepared, the thing is the size of a small toaster but it still fits in practically any case due to its practically flawless design. Just make sure your ram doesn't have tall OCing heat spreaders and you are good to go. As for the rest of it, you seem to have a solid build. The only tweak I would suggest is a small 60gb SSD for either SRT caching or as a boot drive and maybe dig a bit deeper and get a better mobo such as a full ATX version of what you are getting. If noting else I would really recommend a nice PSU probably corsair 650w. I would just make sure it has a good power efficiency such as silver or even gold. With as much load you are putting on the CPU a efficient PSU will keep temps down and increase your ability to overclock.

Lastly I wish you luck in your first build, don't forget to buy some zip ties to hide all your cables. If anything goes wrong in your build, keeping the cables out of your way makes it a lot easier to find and fix a problem.

Good points on the cpu cooling solution :)

However, if you don't plan on doing any insane overclocking I don't see any reason to spend anywhere from $70 to $90 on a cpu cooler.

The COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO would work just fine and save you a significant amount of cash that you could put to use somewhere else.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Good points on the cpu cooling solution :)

However, if you don't plan on doing any insane overclocking I don't see any reason to spend anywhere from $70 to $90 on a cpu cooler.

The COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO would work just fine and save you a significant amount of cash that you could put to use somewhere else.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Very true, I was just going off the H50 vibe and actually this smaller noctua cooler would be a lot quieter. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608016. Still a bit on the expensive side, but its much higher quality and is twice as silent.

my case is here and my cpu too :D coparing the back of the 2600k to a p4 was funny :D

After removing the power supply I noticed It seems better then I initially thought.Its modular and has an 82% efficiency

enremax is the brand. It has a golden grill which looks cool an so far cable management looks clean.

Now my Disc drives are old but they do the job so I wont be replacing them but... they have IDE connectors.

Those cables are humongous and ugly.

So are there any limitations if I go with a converter Like this one (sry its german)

will I be able to connect both drives to it? The idea is to have 1 sata cables going to my mother board not one ide.

also another concern Is the air flow.I have a 140mm fan in the front (in) 120mm in the back (out)

120mm side (in) and the power supply right under it which takes air out of the case.

It seems like most of the air is channeling at the bottom of the case.

so I wont be able to controll the fan speed of the side fan since it has 3pin that kinda sucks

Its the cooler master fan witch came with the case Its an blue led fan. I guess I replace it the colour doesnt fit my build anyway.(guess I cant turn the leds off now can I...)

3 pin Molex connectors on my dark wings fans too omg I thought they are high end so they will be running at full speed all the time ?

oh and 1 more thing. Can I keep my gts 450 for gaming and buy a quadro 2000 put both cards in and switch between them in windows?

Edited by Pollak

my case is here and my cpu too :D coparing the back of the 2600k to a p4 was funny :D

After removing the power supply I noticed It seems better then I initially thought.Its modular and has an 82% efficiency

enremax is the brand. It has a golden grill which looks cool an so far cable management looks clean.

Now my Disc drives are old but they do the job so I wont be replacing them but... they have IDE connectors.

Those cables are humongous and ugly.

So are there any limitations if I go with a converter Like this one (sry its german)

will I be able to connect both drives to it? The idea is to have 1 sata cables going to my mother board not one ide.

also another concern Is the air flow.I have a 140mm fan in the front (in) 120mm in the back (out)

120mm side (in) and the power supply right under it which takes air out of the case.

It seems like most of the air is channeling at the bottom of the case.

so I wont be able to controll the fan speed of the side fan since it has 3pin that kinda sucks

Its the cooler master fan witch came with the case Its an blue led fan. I guess I replace it the colour doesnt fit my build anyway.(guess I cant turn the leds off now can I...)

3 pin Molex connectors on my dark wings fans too omg I thought they are high end so they will be running at full speed all the time ?

oh and 1 more thing. Can I keep my gts 450 for gaming and buy a quadro 2000 put both cards in and switch between them in windows?

Not sure about windows, if anything you could just unplug th gts 450's and reboot?