Sign in to follow this  
olokul

budget system build

Hey guys figured I would come to you guys for some help. I know a few of you guys are really good at this, I for one am not as I just throw money at my main rig.

Im trying to build a computer that will play Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 on the cheap that I can take to lan partys. I’ve gone back and forth between amd and intel build and im leaning more to intel. Although I wouldn’t mind doing an amd build sice ive never owened on before. I just put one together for a friend over the weekend, doing cable management and putting everything in the case. He took it after that installing the OS and any overclocking on it. So this is what im looking at right now.

Motherboard asus maximus IV gene-z (i want to be able to do sli or crossfire)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131759

CPU I3-2100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078

Ram Mushkin Blackline 8GB 2x4gb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226184

Videocard evga gtx560 Ti

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604

the case is going to be a Lian Li test bench I have it sitting around so I figure why not use it

stuff I already have laying around

Powersupply Silverstone 750w

Harddrive WD 320gb 2.5”

keyboard mouse and monitor 1680x1050 res

OS I will be using at first will be xp 32bit cause I have a open license for it but will be upgrading to win 7 pro 64bit

Only problem I see is with xp 32 bit you will only be able to use about 3gb of your 8 gb memory,but when you upgrade to w7 64 bit you will be fine.

Was the i3-2100 cpu a budget constraint? I mean operating frequency is ok, but core multiplier is locked down, no turbo frequency and no overclocking if you wanted to push things a little bit. The other drawback (IMHO) is the relatively small L3 cache of 3MB.

Other than that, I like the fact that you're going to eventually get to Win7 64-bit and everything else on your hardware list looks ok for a budget build. No possible way to slip an i5-2300 into the budget somehow?

the i3 wasnt a constraint i was just trying to keep the budget under $600 before shiping, right now in at $580. i guess im at a give and take stage upgrade to the i5 and drop to a gtx460 or go with the i3 and gtx 560ti. one way other the other im sure down the road ill upgrade the cpu or go sli. so what will net me the most gain down the road the stronger i5 with 2 460's or the 560ti with an upgraded cpu. and althought i do enjoy overclocking i will not be overclocking this computer. Also im not set on this setup. if an ati card or amd build would be better and around the same price im all for it.

the only thing this computer is for is to go to lan parties and play starcraft 2 right now. i just took my main rig on a hour drive last weekend for a lan party and with the case weighing in just over 81 pounds it gets to be a b+tch to carry. So im going with something small and light but still powerfull.

To answer your question the better processor and two 460s in SLI would be better than an i3-2100 and 560ti

NON-SLI:

- Same motherboard but open box - $140

- or this EVGA board (note: both bad reviews are from the same guy) - $150 / $135 after MIR

- Keep your 560ti - $230

- Intel i5-2400 - $190

- Patriot Memory (1.5V instead of 1.35) - $47 ...if no deal on ram when u buy, or Corsair Vengeance (low profile) - $52

Why 2400? It is $10 more than the 2300 and it has enough of a gain in performance to warrant the price.

Benchmarks

With Open Box: $607

With EVGA MB: $617 with $15 MIR ...ya slightly above budget but I think this build would chump your build

SLI Build:

After looking up benchmarks for the Core i3, it looks like the 1 game it totally freaks out on and does better on than the i5 2300 is StarCraft 2 so go figure :lol:

- Same motherboards I mentioned above

- Intel Core i3 2120 - $140

- MSI Hawk GTX 460 - $170 (w/ $30 rebate) ...or $240 for two

- Same RAM I mentioned above

With Open Box: $567 minus $60 in MIRs

With EVGA MB: $577 minus $75 in MIRs

Add $20-30 if you want to keep your motherboard in new condition to any of the above builds. Honestly I would be tempted to go with Build 2 and your motherboard which would take you to $597 (not including MIRs) or $602 if you went with the Corsair memory. The first build would probably be a better build for more than just SC2 and would allow you to add a second 560ti later on when funds allow, but it would handle SC2 easily and all other current games.

So I guess, BUILD 3 :lol:

- asus maximus IV gene-z

- Intel Core i3 2120 - $140

- Corsair Vengeance (low profile) - $52

- MSI Hawk GTX 460 - $170 (w/ $30 rebate)

Total = $602 ...if you buy two of the 460s

I really like Fogel's Build #3 - that would be a really sweet budget gaming rig for sure.

Two GTX460's in SLi are a sweet sweet combo with excellent scaling in SLi. Certainly an option to consider.

ok so for now i have just ordered the motherboard. So the build might get better as i go, going to buy a little at a time so depending on the money i have at the time will determine what i buy, so i could end up with a i5 and a 560ti/2 for sli will see how the build will go and what im feeling at the time

for now this is what im going with

asus maximus IV gene board

i3 2120

mushkin blackline.... i love the mushkin that i have now in my main rig so ill stick with them till they do me wrong

dual 460's

wd scorpio blue 320gb 2.5" drive (already have)

silverstone 850w powersupply (already have)

I dont recommend getting the asus maximus IV. You really dont need it for what you want to do.

"Don't pay more for your motherboard than you do your processor."

I dont recommend getting the asus maximus IV. You really dont need it for what you want to do.

"Don't pay more for your motherboard than you do your processor."

well i wanted to try and stay with an Asus board if i could, the second thing i wanted was 16x and atleast a second 8x pci-e slot for sli/CF. it just so happend to be this board and a bonus was that it is a ROG board. i love the RoG board that i have and the only problem i've had with it was my own falt buy frying it trying to overclock. plus down the road i might upgrade the cpu to a 2500/2600 k and try my hand at overclocking a second gen i seires.

well i wanted to try and stay with an Asus board if i could, the second thing i wanted was 16x and atleast a second 8x pci-e slot for sli/CF. it just so happend to be this board and a bonus was that it is a ROG board. i love the RoG board that i have and the only problem i've had with it was my own falt buy frying it trying to overclock. plus down the road i might upgrade the cpu to a 2500/2600 k and try my hand at overclocking a second gen i seires.

I just picked up a maximus IV gene to replace the board in my 2600k system (sata ports failing). Will see how it goes :)

so i just picked up some mushkin ram

Picked these up

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226184

was also looking at these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226219

im going to throw the first pair in my main rig and see if i can drop the timings and see how high i can push them. if i dont like them i'll pick up the second pair and try them out.

Going to hold out for a week or two and see if ether the cpu or videocards drop in price. i know i said this was a budget build but i might pick up the i5 and a 560 ti, i kinda spoiled my self with my main rig and want to be able to run starcraft 2 on ultra settings without having to worry about anything. I know two 460's will beat the 560ti but will the 560ti run SC2, its cheaper then getting two 460's and i can sli the 560 down the road.

If I go with a 560ti it leaves $145 left for a cpu to keep me at $600. Now i have to make up my mind what i want to do, I can go $75 over budget and get a i5 2500k and try my hand at overclocking the second gen cpu's or stay on goal and go with a i3 2120 and be under budget. dangit so many opptions what to do what to do, i hate you computer companies.