Virus, or botched registry...

Onion

So, this morning when I turned on my computer, I noticed that firefox and chrome would hang pretty often. I got fed up with it, and rebooted my computer. I get to the user selection screen, click my account, and it just sits there for 10 minutes. I force a restart, then it worked. I type my password to log in, and it sits there for another 10 minutes. Restart again, says something along the lines of File: \windows\system32\config\system is messed up and that the system registry file is corrupt or missing. I pop in my windows 7 install disc to repair it, restart, and my computer doesn't detect my disc drive anymore. I fiddle in the registry, have it somewhat working, and now it won't boot from the CD. Just a black screen with a blinking white _ for 30 minutes, with the sound of my install disc spinning away in my disc drive. What should I do?

I did the failsafe reset on my BIOS settings, now the CD drive is being detected. I've also tried swapping in different hard drives (blank, don't have any spares with windows installed), but I still can't boot from a CD. It just sits there for 2-3 minutes and then tries to boot from the hard drive.

I am able to boot from a flash drive. The only problem is that the flash drive has ubuntu on it, not windows 7. I have no way of getting a windows 7 iso mounted on the flash drive because I've only got one computer at the moment.

If windows didn't have a problem, do you think I'd be asking for help because I can't boot? :withstupid: The CD drive might be a secondary problem, but windows is messed up for sure.

Edited by l33t p1mp

I magically obtained a flash drive with windows 7 on it, I'm testing it as we speak. I really hope this works lol. And I know the CD drive works, I used it yesterday to install Modern Warfare 2.

Well it installed. For some reason, the repair option wasn't there, so I had to overwrite without formatting, thus having it create a Windows.old folder with all my stuff messily thrown in there. But hey, my rig is up (I think, we'll see when it's done installing).