Sign in to follow this  
Savan

Get a Vertex 3 or wait for next gen?

I'm seriously considering getting a vertex 3 120gb, seeing as its currently under $200 on newegg, but I'm also thinking of waiting for the next gen of SSD's. they are currently maxing out the throughput of SATA III so the next gen is going to have to increase storage/dollar instead of speed/dollar as there is no way to increase performance (other that pci-e which are very expensive as it is).

So my question is should I pull the trigger now, or wait for the next gen of drives?

I am waiting. I think the prices and performance need to get better before I buy. IMO

price is not the problem

the issue is more series 3 SSDs have compatibility issues with various motherboard drivers, intel and amd included.

right now it is hit or miss on compatibility across most all SSD brands.

most users won't have a problem, but if you are one of the unlucky few it may cause you to pull your hair out.

if you plan to upgrade to bulldozer I would wait

if not, research your motherboard and see what everyone else is using and check for people with issues on the brand you want.

I'm not planing on bulldozer, and I did a search and didnt find anyone with my chip set having problems with this drive, so I went ahead and ordered it. Should be here in the next day or so. Super excited about how fast its going to be now.

Thats why I bought a Crucial M4 SSD. The Controller isnt quite as fast but its loads more reliable and compatable. At least according to the Newegg posts. Ive had no trouble at all and get a 7.9 rating on everyting in Windows accept my CPU which is 7.7.

I got the new revised hardware driver with mine, from Newegg, so I wouldl imagine that is what is shipping now.

Just an alternative.

Crucial M4 CT128g

Ahh fark, I see now where you said you just ordered. Oh well. :cheers:

Edited by Kwok

I'd look into a Samsung 830 SSD, I don't think they've hitting the distribution chain as of yet - but Anandtech reviewed one a week or two back. The Samsung drives don't seem to have the reliability issues that the OCZ (and the others that use the SandForce controller) drives have had.

they are currently maxing out the throughput of SATA III

Really? I thought they were close but not quite enough. I'd go ahead and get the vertex 3 now. With it this close to saturating the bus, it's gonna be awhile before a new sata is out, along with even faster drives...unless, as you said, you want to use a pci slot.

Edited by Fight Game

Really? I thought they were close but not quite enough. I'd go ahead and get the vertex 3 now. With it this close to saturating the bus, it's gonna be awhile before a new sata is out, along with even faster drives...unless, as you said, you want to use a pci slot.

you are right, they are just under the max throughput of SATA III but its so close that it may as well count as maxed out

Thanks for the suggestions, but I did order it already, so I hope I dont run into any of the problems.

they more than max out the marvell and other non-intel sata 3 chips out now, so unless your running sandybridge you will lose heaps of the performance. i think on marvell you can only get 150 mb/s write instead of the full 500. but there isnt too much of a hit on read

they more than max out the marvell and other non-intel sata 3 chips out now, so unless your running sandybridge you will lose heaps of the performance. i think on marvell you can only get 150 mb/s write instead of the full 500. but there isnt too much of a hit on read

The Marvell with the driver update is hitting 200 mb/s now and better numbers on read too with a 128g SSD. If you look further into actual real time performance, the Crucial is right there with all of them.

Thats why I bought a Crucial M4 SSD. The Controller isnt quite as fast but its loads more reliable and compatable. At least according to the Newegg posts. Ive had no trouble at all and get a 7.9 rating on everyting in Windows accept my CPU which is 7.7.

I got the new revised hardware driver with mine, from Newegg, so I wouldl imagine that is what is shipping now.

Just an alternative.

Crucial M4 CT128g

Ahh fark, I see now where you said you just ordered. Oh well. :cheers:

"IF" I ever decide to "upgrade" my Crucial C300 that is the same drive I'm looking at. I agree with Kwok, I'll take the stability/reliability over maximum read/write speeds any day of the week. I can't speak for the onboard Marvell controller on some of the P/Z chipset boards, but my MSI x58 board has the Marvell 9128 controller and my C300 consistently hits 350+ Mbs write speeds (and that is with OS installed, updates, a few apps etc. eg. not an empty drive for benchmarking purposes).

I would do half and half. I would get a SATA 3 60gb or so boot drive, and wait. I would actually sell your system at around christmas time, and then buy a Z68 PCE 3.0 ready motherboard. It will be compatible with ivy bridge coming out in the early months of next year not to mention that with pci 3.0 with come faster pci ssd's. OCZ has a revodrive hybrid, there hasn't been much response from consumers to see if it is any good, but it boasts a 900 something mb/s read speed and a 1 TB capacity for about 500 dollars. There are however problems with the concept. It uses a 100GB SSD cache and a 900GB laptop hard drive at 5400 rpm. See the problem??? Why on earth did they use a 5400rpm drive? I feel like we should send the drive to the million dollar man team and have them say "we can rebuild it, we have the technology" and use a 7200 rpm rive with a bit more SSD cache for the price. If you are looking for speed speed speed than the revodrive 3 x2 has a 1.5 GB/s read speed and a 1.25 GB/s write. Pci 3.0 is going to give us twice the bandwidth, so there is no reason not to think we could see a drive with 3GB/s read and 2.5 write by Christmas of next year. Now I know that is a bit of a wait and I am sure people will respond to that idea with yeah well if you wait forever and buy in when you are dead you can have jesus in the form of a computer. This is true. But considering you will have new processors DDR4 ram, PCI 3.0, Ivy Bridge all speculated to come out all next year not to mention what computex 2012 has to offer, there is just too much new stuff not to upgrade to. So save your money and wait and upgrade not only the ssd but everything. At least that is what I would do. Now, the other thing you could do to tie you over is get two 60GB sata 3 drives and put them in raid 0 for a boot drive. You don't get the same performance as you would with a pci ssd or the same safe environment with your data due to the hazards of raid 0, but its a lot better than basic sata3 configuration. However, I would truly recommend you get something cheap to tie you over, save your money, and give a massive overhaul to your computer in 2012.