Lone 120mm fan exhaust

here are my current temps at idle/stock speeds with 32+- deg C room ambient;

temps-1.jpg

and here's some pics how those fan going inside my case;

1.jpg

DSC00127-1.jpg

i have 2 x 120mm Cooler Master 2000+- RPM 90CFM intake @ push - pull config (one by the lower front, the other next to the HDD cage inside)

1 x 140mm Cooler Master 1000 RPM 60.9 CFM by the 5.25 bay as intake, and that lone 120mm rear exhaust (same make/model with my 120mm intake).

i thought that my temps might be better if i bump the airflow inside; adding 2 or 3 120mm more fans was my plan and the top side of my case is the only way to go. (will mod a hole for those proposed added fans)

now which is better do you think; top fans intake or exhaust? does my current lone 120mm exhaust fan not good enough?

thanks!

Edited by sword_fish

Bottom intake, side intake and top exhaust add three fans.

bottom intake; at the chassis floor next to the PSU? hmmm...seems a bit tight there but let me see....

and oops, i forgot to tell that i preferred my acrylic side panel window to stay clear ( fan free ).

so top fan/s would be best for exhaust configs?

and thanks btw stoner for that quick reply and i knew it would be you :happy:

bottom intake; at the chassis floor next to the PSU? hmmm...seems a bit tight there but let me see....

and oops, i forgot to tell that i preferred my acrylic side panel window to stay clear ( fan free ).

so top fan/s would be best for exhaust configs?

It certainly looks like you could get a 120 or even 140 in beside the psu which is good if you don't want to touch the window.

Also means you have an excuse to put your cables back in tubes.

You could go with two/three top 120/140mm exhausts, depends on room around the optical drive. A good way to neaten it is a rad shroud but it often represents a decent bit of money a grill double/triple is cheaper.

You have already painted this case so doing so again is no issue for you. so you can get things real neat.

Then play around with the rear exhaust and see if idle/load temps are better with it pulling air in or pushing it out.

and thanks btw stoner for that quick reply and i knew it would be you :happy:

No problem :happy: sword_fish

i guess i'll be going with the 3 x 120mm top exhaust route, and yeah you got it right with the ODD drive/bay issue if i opt with the 140mm x3.

and yet i cant find any of those 140mm fan grill anywhere here at our local sellers around.

currently eying with this 120mm grills;

grill.jpg

and i'm planning to mount those fans on top outside the case, the V8 might touch the fans if i mount those top inside..... and seems my case will have it's new attitude if stuck those fans right on top :teehee:

rad shrouds is agood idea, let me see if i can find any of those here.

okay, if i have the time i'll go with it then and i'll give you the news how it comes out. ;)

and yes, i want those tubes with my cables back lol, how did you know that btw?

i guess i'll be going with the 3 x 120mm top exhaust route, and yeah you got it right with the ODD drive/bay issue if i opt with the 140mm x3.

and yet i cant find any of those 140mm fan grill anywhere here at our local sellers around.

currently eying with this 120mm grills;

grill.jpg

and i'm planning to mount those fans on top outside the case, the V8 might touch the fans if i mount those top inside..... and seems my case will have it's new attitude if stuck those fans right on top :teehee:

rad shrouds is agood idea, let me see if i can find any of those here.

okay, if i have the time i'll go with it then and i'll give you the news how it comes out. ;)

and yes, i want those tubes with my cables back lol, how did you know that btw?

Different mod thread about the graphics card and psu covers by saul good, you shared your case with the black tubes :lol:

Something I have never considered in my modding but will probably be doing with my next build that I am already planning :happy:

I have a Koolance 3x120mm rad shroud on my case (430 elite) as a top exhaust. Will be eventually putting some high airflow (~80-90% open) mesh on top along with some plant quarantine grade filter mesh (nicked from dad's work :lol:) to stop dust and protect the fans (3x cm silent blue LED 210mm).

The rad shroud if you could get a 3x140 will possibly work because fans would be mounted outside case and thus wont interfere with CPU Cooler and optical drive.

hmmm... i remember! lol!

go get them stone, your auto parts/supplies might have those, they're easy to work with the cables ;)

darn missed those cheap tubes actually :biggrin:

I know they do when I was still working there about a month ago, I saw them all the time but it never clicked to use them. I had plenty of ideas involving different bits of exhaust pipes ect. for airflow tho. Even considered using thermostats/gauges and a car rad for water-cooling but thought too much hassle. Will probably use a series of thermostats at some point tho :happy:

I know they do when I was still working there about a month ago, I saw them all the time but it never clicked to use them. I had plenty of ideas involving different bits of exhaust pipes ect. for airflow tho. Even considered using thermostats/gauges and a car rad for water-cooling but thought too much hassle. Will probably use a series of thermostats at some point tho :happy:

same here "mcgyver" ;) , how i love challenges to make those ignored things and stuffs worked out.

sad thing is i'm lacked of those special tools to deal with them , actually i was hunting for that handy hacksaw which saul good suggested at the other thread. cant find it here still :dunno::(

same here "mcgyver" ;) , how i love challenges to make those ignored things and stuffs worked out.

sad thing is i'm lacked of those special tools to deal with them , actually i was hunting for that handy hacksaw which saul good suggested at the other thread. cant find it here still :dunno::(

Pretty sure that was a run-o-the mill cheap hacksaw you can pick up from hardware stores.

I am lucky because of my intrest in projects of all shapes/sizes/types I have been given all sorts of tools for my birthday since I was twelve not to mention the money I've spent on myself. I nearly bought a table saw on a whim last weekend before common sense kicked in.

Either way to open things up a jigsaw or hacksaw with a fin toothed metal cutting blade will work. Just remember tape up the surface so you don't scratch it, more important with a jigsaw than a hacksaw but still the tape (painters or masking, a broad roll is good) helps you mark the edges. Then a fine file will finish the edges nicely.

Good luck and look forward to some pics :thumbsup:

When I find my camera (god I am lazy haven't had it for a few months now :lol:) I will update my worklog with pics of what I have been doing

Edit: on my iPod atm but your from the philippines right?

So do you have an ace hardware near you?

That is because there are several handsaws relatively cheap available from there

http://www.acehardware.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2629156

I would consider that Stanley keyhole saw as it comes with one wood and one metal blade and is very cheap compared to it's hacksaw counterpart. Also the handle of the keyhole saw will make it easier to manover.

Edited by Stonerboy779

yeah from Philippines, and great that we have Ace hardware here! :woot: i will try to visit one of these days. how strange that was the last store i missed to check with aside from Handy Man and the rest which ended me up empty.

i hope they have those jigsaw/hacksaw/keyhole saw at Ace.

noted your tips same with saul good's regarding with the saw job and everything, hope that i wont screw up :lol:

i'll let you know, thanks!

hey stonerboy,

been at ace yesterday, leave empty handed grrrrr.... they have those keyhole/hacksaw in all shapes and sizes but none of those that will work with metals. no blades available for metals as what they said :dunno::wacko:

i'll try to contact that guy who did my side panel mod and leave him the cutting and i'll do the rest then.