Would you shell 600 ish on a computer case?

Specifically the Mountain Mods Extended Ascension case? Been looking at this for awhile now and it looks sooo sooo awesome but then i come back to reality and 600 could be used for other purchases lol. What would your reason be for making the move to this case? I would say mine would be water cooling heaven and looks but i think the same could be achieved with the 800D and others.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Specifically the Mountain Mods Extended Ascension case? Been looking at this for awhile now and it looks sooo sooo awesome but then i come back to reality and 600 could be used for other purchases lol. What would your reason be for making the move to this case? I would say mine would be water cooling heaven and looks but i think the same could be achieved with the 800D and others.

I would spend that much only if i was the one that had made it, so i would start with $150-200 shell and mod it and customise it for cooling, probably putting another $400 into some serious water-cooling. I wouldn't pay $600 outright its not as satisfying imo.

thats alot for a case that is going to invole alot more money to make it look, and feel right.

the size of that has got to take up some stupid space...

i can only justify spending more money on looks (cases,lights,shiny doodads) if HW upgrades aren't cheaper :)

after thinking.. i bet for half a grand you could easily construct something exactly to what you wanted, if not less.

for that much money i can have my friend weld my case under my hood of my car and spend the other $400 on getting a touchscreen in the dash lol.

id end up just making my own for that much in the end.

I wouldn't pay any amount of money for a MountainMods case. Their cases *look* nice but the materials they use are too thin and flimsy for the amount of money they ask for.

You know if a year ago you would have asked me about using a case that cost more than about $100 I would have laughed at you. Still today I think it is often a waste of money as there are some awesome cases at the $100 or so price point. However after our summer of cases here on the show I must admit I can see the appeal of the luxury level cases.

I still do not think they are appropriate for everyone and the cost is a huge factor detering such a prucahse but if you have the money and want it then I would say go for it. At the end of the daya a case is one of the few areas you can make your mark with your PC, make a statement as it where to what you want your PC and your computing hobby to say about you.

Now in direct answer to your question, no I would personally not put out that kind of money for a case. I would have a hard time justifying the cost of a Level 10 GT and I LOVE it.

However if you have the money and really want it, I would say go for it. This ismore a personal choice and so has little in the way of truly right and wrong answers.

Buying a mountain mods case is like buying in the upper end of homes. Do you need it? The MM cases are phenomenal builds when used with a massive water loop or multiple water loops for your build. If going with a straight air setup its a waste of money as you can do more with less. I have owned one and I never found the time to put together a build to do it justice.

Thanks for the replies guys, it does seem overkill. Im thinking about a new build for my first water cooling setup and this case seems like its for the more experienced user in water cooling anyway. I like the crazy amount of room you have to work and looks along with customization of the case but im coming back to reality here and going from my HAF 932 to the 800D.

I spent a good bit on my Mountain Mods Pinnacle 24, and while I regret spending that much, I also don't.

1. I know the next time not to spend so much, lol.

2. I now appreciate smaller cases because they don't take up much room, but I appreciate the space of such a large case to work around in constantly.

3. The airflow is spectacular, but I notice I find a lot of little gripes against it.

My gripes:

A. PSU mounting is in an odd place if you want to put a 120.4 radiator at the top. Which means you can't place a 120mm fan at the bottom of the radiator. You also can't place one at the front end of the radiator, either (unless you don't put in an optical drive in there). Because of the PSU placement, you also can't fit a 120.2 radiator at the rear of the case.

B. There are no pre-drilled holes if you wanted to put radiators on the outside of the case (but I bought it so I wouldn't put it outside the case, anyway).

C. The 120.4 radiator fans are placed outside the case, which means I have to have the fan cables go through the side by loosening the screws a bit.

D. It's not a tool-less design.

E. Material is easily scratched.

F. You have to order special additional parts they don't mention when you first buy it. When you're spending a large amount in the first place, you would think you'd get everything you'd need to start out, but that's not the case (pardon the pun)! Though their customer service is excellent.

I don't think I'd ever spend more than $200 for a case after this, but will typically say the $50 - $150 range is what I would normally spend.

Buying a mountain mods case is like buying in the upper end of homes. Do you need it? The MM cases are phenomenal builds when used with a massive water loop or multiple water loops for your build. If going with a straight air setup its a waste of money as you can do more with less. I have owned one and I never found the time to put together a build to do it justice.

I believe this case and the Thermochill rad you included with it was my 1st purchase here on OCC :biggrin: I am also not quite finished in doing it justice that she deserves :evilgrin: When I bought the U2-UFO my plan was for dual loops, cpu and xFired gpu's. While not quite there yet, I am going to finish her soon. But, I completely agree with ccokeman, if your plans are to buy a case like mine or get real crazy and go with the Ascension, then you better be decking it all out as well! Make no mistake about it though, I'm sure anyone who gets one will be just as happy as I am :cheers: I just got real lucky and found a great deal on the case cause it was collecting dust over at ccokeman's house :woot: or else I probably would have never been able to justify the cost.

I would spend that much only if i was the one that had made it, so i would start with $150-200 shell and mod it and customise it for cooling, probably putting another $400 into some serious water-cooling. I wouldn't pay $600 outright its not as satisfying imo.

I would have to agree. I have a U2-UFO case and while it's nice for the double rad setup I have in it, it's just too big. It takes up a ton of space. Find a big box about the size of the case you are looking at and set it where you plan to put the case and see how it feels.. and remember you need to leave room where the fans will be for ventalation.