Need advice on Possible SLI purchase

RazerM

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll also say that the added gpu horsepower helps, too, as not only is my vram close to maxed out in many games in surround w/ the 1.5gb 480s, but my gpu usage is very often pegged on both of them in the high 90s, especially in bf3. It's exciting to see a game push hardware like this. (check your cpu usage in this game too, as its impressively multi-threaded)

hoserx i agree with the bottleneck in the gpu department.. but ppl r saying the cpu will hold back the gpu when this is simply not true at that level.. if u call 150fps+ cpu bottleneck.. then ur on drugs.. lol

if i were say getting 40fps on a single screen on a game that isnt gpu intensive eg MW2.. then thats a CPU bottleneck.. and that game does limit the gpu coz its got too much happening on the cpu and i think its like a 2 core game?

but on most modern games u dont get that.. its all GPU and in my case, i need more GPU hp coz its just not enough.. going 3D will remove all cpu bottlenecks that ppl say u will encounter coz u just wont get any.. oh and i also agree on the 3gb versions..

mine r the 1536mb ones, and its just not enough to run max detail on some games.. like if the game loads the memory to just under maximum then i get excellent fps.. but as soon as it goes over its max, everything dies in the butt.. 2-3fps is not uncommon... need a bigger frame buffer.. go the 3gb version dude..

Exactly. thats why In the beginning of this thread, I suggested that he get 3gb 580s.

So with a straight face you are honestly recommending that he spend at minimum $1650 dollars to buy three GTX 580 3Gb cards to run one 27" 3D Monitor? Sorry - there isn't any way I can get on board with that recommendation. The OP would be better served buying two HD 6970 2Gb cards (or even three for that matter) and worst case spend right at $1000 dollars.

So with a straight face you are honestly recommending that he spend at minimum $1650 dollars to buy three GTX 580 3Gb cards to run one 27" 3D Monitor? Sorry - there isn't any way I can get on board with that recommendation. The OP would be better served buying two HD 6970 2Gb cards (or even three for that matter) and worst case spend right at $1000 dollars.

+1

two 580 3gb (scaling on 3 is horrible)

the amd route is not to recommend if you want 3d though...

Hose - let me give you a piece of advice.

First an observation - you've offered some really good input in this thread. And I'm sure the OP as well as the other respected forum members here appreciate it.

Now...... my advice. You need to tone it down a little bit. I think you'll find a much more welcoming community here if you don't constantly self promote or proclaim that you're responses are the only good responses, or as you so boldly proclaimed "Hi everyone. I am the entire thread. Read me."

Trust me, everyone here that has responded in this thread has probably "Read you". And to this point I haven't come away with the greatest impression. You can take my advice or leave it, but whatever, just consider it a friendly jesture.

Ok, so I'm looking to maybe buy the new Asus 27" 3D Monitor If/When it is released.......

My question is, would it be worth me buying a second GTX 580 if i'm going to buy the 27" screen (I know it will be 3D but the thing to remember is that it will still only be 1920x1080)

Exactly..................