Need advice on Possible SLI purchase

RazerM

Ok, so I'm looking to maybe buy the new Asus 27" 3D Monitor If/When it is released. At the moment i'm running the following specs:-

Asus Sabertooth X58 mobo,

i7 Extreme 980X Cpu @ Stock (yes i know i should prob o/c it but i'm still a bit of a noob with stuff like that),

Corsair Dominator GT 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-15000C9 1866MHz Triple Channel,

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SuperClocked 1536MB GDDR5,

Corsair 950W TX Series PSU - 78A 12V Rail

My question is, would it be worth me buying a second GTX 580 if i'm going to buy the 27" screen (I know it will be 3D but the thing to remember is that it will still only be 1920x1080)

Also, if i DO end up buying the second GFX card will my CPU be bottlenecking the system due to being left at stock?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than likely, it will not be worth it. As always, it depends on what you're doing exactly. I see that the new battlefield 3 game actually benefits from more than a single 580, but other than that, I haven't seen much personally. Keep in mind that more than about 70fps isn't going to be noticed, and depending on what you're doing the scaling of sli may not be so good.

Edited by Fight Game

These people are incorrect. The more gpu horsepower the better in 3d mode.....as most games have performance reduced by half while in 3d. I do nvidia 3d surround with two gtx 480s and I need more. With just one 3d display, one gtx 480 was not enough to max all games in 3d. Enabling max settings make 3d gaming even more immersive. Two 580s would be a fantastic purchase, and In case you ever move up to three of those 3d displays, you should buy the 3gb version of the 580s. I can not enable AA in most games due to lack of memory at 6040x1080. (1536mb on my 480s.)

The two cards have to be identical. With the way you want to use the system at the current specs I would get another video card And sli it to make sire the 3d vision experience is awesome.

You'd want to use two 3gb cards... you only get 3gb of video memory no matter what, even if you had 3-way SLI... (ie: you don't have 9gb of video memory with 3 3gb 580s). You need the GPU to be the same, and you want the memory to be the same or it will give you the amount on the lowest card. I really wish my 480s had even 2gb of ram rather than the 1536 for nvidia surround.

These people are incorrect. The more gpu horsepower the better in 3d mode.....as most games have performance reduced by half while in 3d. I do nvidia 3d surround with two gtx 480s and I need more. With just one 3d display, one gtx 480 was not enough to max all games in 3d. Enabling max settings make 3d gaming even more immersive. Two 580s would be a fantastic purchase, and In case you ever move up to three of those 3d displays, you should buy the 3gb version of the 580s. I can not enable AA in most games due to lack of memory at 6040x1080. (1536mb on my 480s.)

Well of course the more GPU horsepower the better but he is asking if its worth it... I'm guessing there still aren't passive 3D monitors?

Edited by Dan The Gamer