New sound card and head phones time

Mombo

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright im ordering the Refurbished Sennheiser HD380 Pro's tomorrow afternoon. If anyone has any suggestions on things to look out for to make sure I get a quality set please tell me. Also for those that own them are there any parts that seem weak or that might crack or break I want to make sure there isn't anything like that happening on my set.

......oooo I am excited to try these out. Plus I have to Asus Xonar DX in the mail already as well.

edit: Doh forgot there was 3 pages on this one already my bad on the double post. Oh and I am putting in a small order on the rest of my system as well over in the system builds forum I updated that.

Edited by Mombo

If possible ask what has been refurbished? There's not many components in a headphone.

If the driver units have been replaced, they take a few hours to loosen up, but you should get an idea of quality from first listen.

Please do post your opinion on how you experience the headphones.

Alright im ordering the Refurbished Sennheiser HD380 Pro's tomorrow afternoon. If anyone has any suggestions on things to look out for to make sure I get a quality set please tell me. Also for those that own them are there any parts that seem weak or that might crack or break I want to make sure there isn't anything like that happening on my set.

......oooo I am excited to try these out. Plus I have to Asus Xonar DX in the mail already as well.

edit: Doh forgot there was 3 pages on this one already my bad on the double post. Oh and I am putting in a small order on the rest of my system as well over in the system builds forum I updated that.

Will do I just called em and asked them about them and he said 90% of the time they are brand new just customer returns and the other 10% he is not sure because they buy them from sennheiser refurb'd they dont do it themselves. They also have different prices all over depending on where you look (main site, amazon site) and he said they are all the same so just choose whichever is the cheapest at the time.

I ended up getting my pair for 85 bucks shipped. Plus my 30 buck sound card I actually ended under what I was looking to spend at the beginning and got the nice headphones still :) Very stoked to get them and try them out.

Will do I just called em and asked them about them and he said 90% of the time they are brand new just customer returns and the other 10% he is not sure because they buy them from sennheiser refurb'd they dont do it themselves. They also have different prices all over depending on where you look (main site, amazon site) and he said they are all the same so just choose whichever is the cheapest at the time.

I ended up getting my pair for 85 bucks shipped. Plus my 30 buck sound card I actually ended under what I was looking to spend at the beginning and got the nice headphones still :) Very stoked to get them and try them out.

Any idea when you'll be receiving the goodies?

Ya I am getting a shipment each day of the week...its like christmas over here :) I think today I get the soundcard tomorrow the 3.5 extender cable so I dont get bother by the coiled cord and wednesday the headphones other two days parts for my new build.

I do have a new question though - Price wise it would appear the Creative labs is the better card but I am not sure I might be paying for the name there as well. Which of these two cards is best for gaming with headphones?

Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium HD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102033

Asus Xonar DX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006

I know a little more about the Asus I am definitely wanting virtual surround sound and I know the Xonar has Dolby Headphone what does the X-Fi offer and is it better? I hear a lot of talk about drivers for sound cards....whats yalls thought on that my main games I will want surround sound in will be BF3, Skyrim, SWTOR. I already own both of them so dont put any weight on cost. I have been reading that the Dolby Headphones in the Asus card might be better....idk....If so I will just resale the X-Fi at a profit if not I will sell the Xonar to my room mate that wants one and missed the deal I got.

Now that I am reading about do these sound cards have enough juice to run the 380 pro's? I cant figure out how much power they put out and the exact amount of ohm's needed for those headphones.

Edited by Mombo

Don't know much about which card is better, but they should be able to power the 380's, I'm currently running my 380's from onboard sound, waiting on stock though for a nice dac.

But so far from just listening using onboard, I'm getting a decent amount of bass and clarity from them, but the onboard has it's usual buzzzzz/noise which is audible when nothing is playing.

Now that I am reading about do these sound cards have enough juice to run the 380 pro's? I cant figure out how much power they put out and the exact amount of ohm's needed for those headphones.

You dont need ohms.

Ohms = resistance, your 380 pros have a nominal resistance value of 54 ohms and as such could even be run off an ipod ect.

You have more issues finding soundcards (cheaply) that can support high end, 600 ohm headphones. Because of insufficient power. Power is equal to current x voltage. Higher resistance will permit less current to flow so higher powered headphone amps are required

You will be happy with either of those cards but also could consider the Asus xonar dg with an inbuilt headphone amp. They are quite cheap and it should perform wemo with your 380s.

I got both the DX and the Tit HD on a good deal and own both of them already. So I just need to decide which one I am wanting to keep and which I should sell. I am wanting to keep the one that is going to give me the best performance of course at this point either of them are great bang for the bucks at the price I got them at.

I got both the DX and the Tit HD on a good deal and own both of them already. So I just need to decide which one I am wanting to keep and which I should sell. I am wanting to keep the one that is going to give me the best performance of course at this point either of them are great bang for the bucks at the price I got them at.

Try them out and decide for yourself if you have both. You can decide which sounds better to you.

Bleh not worth as much once I open it of course but maybe ill do that.... I should prob just make a VS thread on these two so I can get some people that have used both to comment on them. Prob get the answers I need that way then I wont lose out on money. Gotta save every penny so I can keep ordering other parts :)

Bleh not worth as much once I open it of course but maybe ill do that.... I should prob just make a VS thread on these two so I can get some people that have used both to comment on them. Prob get the answers I need that way then I wont lose out on money. Gotta save every penny so I can keep ordering other parts :)

Neither opened.... that is different.

Of the two I would lean towards keeping the titanium hd but you should look at the features of both and decide which has the most features you want. Selling closed box is good.