New Home Network Design

yiotta

So, here is my current dilemma, we are living in a building on our property that we call the "guest house".

We built it as part of our plan to move into it, tear down the original old house on the property and then build a new house.

When done we would have a "guest house" and a new "main house".

Well, we are at the point of the new home construction that I need to get my cables pulled. Everything else is done and we are ready to put up insulation and wallboard, so now is the time.

The current infrastructure on the property is: DISH network on the guest house, Cable high speed modem running underground to the guest house. Linksys e4200 running hardwire or wireless to the guest house computers. The signal from this top of the line modem is weak 1-2 bars (or nothing in distant rooms) in the new house which is only a few hundred feet away, and that is before insulation and wallboard go up to further block the signal.

So my options are to actually move the hardwire cable and the modem to the new house (the underground wire is currently exposed in one location near the source pole) and then just let that weak signal flow via wireless to the guest house as there will only be people living their occasionally.

So my questions are:

1) Should I just move the hardwire cable run to the new house and hook up the e4200 modem there?

2) Is there some sort of wireless power repeater that would be easier so I could leave the current setup alone?

3) I am going to pull RG6 coaxial cable to the bedrooms, media room, computer room, office, kitchen, great room... just in case. Is this still necessary with so much going wireless.

4) I am going to pull LAN wire to those same locations, is this still necessary?

5) I am not planning on pulling fiber optic through the house as we are in a bit of a rural area along a dead end community of 5 acre lots, so I strongly doubt fiber will ever get out here, am I making a mistake by not pulling fiber?

Any other thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

So, here is my current dilemma, we are living in a building on our property that we call the "guest house".

We built it as part of our plan to move into it, tear down the original old house on the property and then build a new house.

When done we would have a "guest house" and a new "main house".

Well, we are at the point of the new home construction that I need to get my cables pulled. Everything else is done and we are ready to put up insulation and wallboard, so now is the time.

The current infrastructure on the property is: DISH network on the guest house, Cable high speed modem running underground to the guest house. Linksys e4200 running hardwire or wireless to the guest house computers. The signal from this top of the line modem is weak 1-2 bars (or nothing in distant rooms) in the new house which is only a few hundred feet away, and that is before insulation and wallboard go up to further block the signal.

So my options are to actually move the hardwire cable and the modem to the new house (the underground wire is currently exposed in one location near the source pole) and then just let that weak signal flow via wireless to the guest house as there will only be people living their occasionally.

So my questions are:

1) Should I just move the hardwire cable run to the new house and hook up the e4200 modem there?

2) Is there some sort of wireless power repeater that would be easier so I could leave the current setup alone?

3) I am going to pull RG6 coaxial cable to the bedrooms, media room, computer room, office, kitchen, great room... just in case. Is this still necessary with so much going wireless.

4) I am going to pull LAN wire to those same locations, is this still necessary?

5) I am not planning on pulling fiber optic through the house as we are in a bit of a rural area along a dead end community of 5 acre lots, so I strongly doubt fiber will ever get out here, am I making a mistake by not pulling fiber?

Any other thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I know there have been no responses to your post yet, so I'll throw out some ideas here for your situation.

1) Is it worth the extra cost to run underground cable to your guest house? If you're only going to have guests on occasion, then consider the headache and/or need to pay the extra to run the cable from your house to the guest house.

2) Your house should be the main source of the internet. I would not wire backwards from your guest house to your main house. I believe the speeds would be atrocious in the long run and you won't be happy. Plus, you would run into the reverse of the situation with running internet to your guest house.

3) Choose a closet that is central in your new house. Set up your modem and router/network switch in this closet. Make it the hub for the networkt in your house. You may need to use WiFi extenders in a few places to get signal.

4) From the hub, choose places to hard-wire to in each room of the house. Doing this now while putting up your walls and finishing putting in your outlets will save time and money later. Hardwire connections will ALWAYS be faster than wifi connections. The hardwire outlets can be combination outlets, such as ones that have the Cat 6 outlet along with your coax outlet like this. This will allow you to hook up your internet to the TV (netflix and such) and/or computer in each room. You may need a short Cat6 cable in each room, but that should be it.

5) A lot of the wiring for doing this may take some time, and you may need to get some help from professionals when doing this type of job. There should be plenty of articles on the internet that may give you more ideas on what to do and how to do it. I'll list a few below. You should be able to do a majority of it on your own though, which will save you money as well.

Information:

Structured Wiring

Planning FAQ

And more from Microsoft

I hope this helps, and at the very least, gives you some more information to ponder and plan. :thumbsup:

Tools:

Home Network Advisor