Thoughts on my HTPC

Prunes

I'm going to build a HTPC, so I can start to watch some movies on my TV (I have no DVD/bluray player :whistling: ) I've been browsing around and came up with something like this:

Case - The case is not changeable unless some serious flaw or something. I really like the look of it. (Couldn't find it on newegg.)

HDD - It's cheap.

PSU - I've always had good experience with Corsair.

I'm not completely sure as to what CPU, MOBO and GPU I should go with, but is this ASUS any good? It would keep the noise down since it has no fan, but is a chance I should take? As for the CPU I thought about a PII x2 or something like that.

The HTPC's main purpose will be to play movies in HD on my 37'' TV in 1080p. Other than that I might use it to browse the Internet and play some music from.

Also is a soundcard needed? I currently do not have other loudspeakers then the ones in the TV.

I'm going to build a HTPC, so I can start to watch some movies on my TV (I have no DVD/bluray player :whistling: ) I've been browsing around and came up with something like this:

Case - The case is not changeable unless some serious flaw or something. I really like the look of it. (Couldn't find it on newegg.)

HDD - It's cheap.

PSU - I've always had good experience with Corsair.

I'm not completely sure as to what CPU, MOBO and GPU I should go with, but is this ASUS any good? It would keep the noise down since it has no fan, but is a chance I should take? As for the CPU I thought about a PII x2 or something like that.

The HTPC's main purpose will be to play movies in HD on my 37'' TV in 1080p. Other than that I might use it to browse the Internet and play some music from.

Also is a soundcard needed? I currently do not have other loudspeakers then the ones in the TV.

I would consider going with aAMD Llano 3850 and a Socket FM1 Mobo instead. The CPU has an integrated GPU which is very capable.

No need for a sound card if you are just going to play through TV speakers. Personally I have never thought it worthwhile unless you had good speakers to hear the difference.