Help! Windows Hangs!

SpeedCrazy

Posted from a centos liveCd

Hey Guys, im in a hole.

This morning i was working on some programming ideas and decide to hook my second monitor back up, having switched it to my other machine last night, and so i unplugged it from the other box and plugged it into my workstation. First thing that happens is my music starts doing erratic static for about 2 seconds then the machine freezes. I rebooted; windows loaded as far as the logo then hung. I unplugged the monitor and rebooted; no change. Unplugged the speakers in case they were messed up; machine booted normally. So i switched off and plugged the monitor back in; hangs again. Unplugged it; hangs. Unplugged everything but main monitor and moue/keyboardl; hangs........

So i booted into a livecd. Ran disk utility and get told my drive has a bad sector......

How did plugging my monitor in cause a bad sector? I Ran a system diagnostic yesterday with no errors, i defreagged....

What do i do now? I need those files, i last backed up last monday, and i have several important fies that i need.

Also, is this reperable or did my 9 month old wd caviar blue just blow up in my face?

Thanks,

Speed

Hopefully none of the bad sectors contained mission critical data.

IMHO the easiest / safest thing to do here is to put your WD Blue into an external enclosure or otherwise and connect it to another working PC. Manually retrieve and save the files you need to a backup source. Put the WD Blue back into your original machine, format it and then run a disk check. If it still errors out then the drive should be retired and replaced.

There are other work arounds, such as a Win 7 repair attempt, or even attempting to rebuild the MBR - but neither of those is guaranteed to fix the problem or protect your possibly priceless work/data.

Hopefully none of the bad sectors contained mission critical data.

IMHO the easiest / safest thing to do here is to put your WD Blue into an external enclosure or otherwise and connect it to another working PC. Manually retrieve and save the files you need to a backup source. Put the WD Blue back into your original machine, format it and then run a disk check. If it still errors out then the drive should be retired and replaced.

There are other work arounds, such as a Win 7 repair attempt, or even attempting to rebuild the MBR - but neither of those is guaranteed to fix the problem or protect your possibly priceless work/data.

What he said. You can attempt to install over Win 7 with another install not an upgrade but it might not work especially if you have bad sectors on the drive. I would definitely get it into an external enclosure and backup you important data. After that I'd go what wevsspot said and format the drive and attempt to reinstall. If you are able to reinstall I'd see what smart errors come up run a utility like HD Tune or some equivalent. Its sounding to me like this is a bad drive though but you should definitely be covered with in the warranty. Best of luck to you.

I am working on the backup.

The drive is under warranty according to WD but they said it may take up to 30 days to replace my drive after they recieve it.... anyone know how much their priority rma costs? I got as far as it wanting my cc and decided i wanted to know th price first. Not that im certain it needs replacing yet just exploring my options.

Side note: this livecd is awesome, gonna put one on my usb thumb drive so its always handy, sooo much easier than navigating someone elses bloatware clogged install.

Are you in the US Speed? If so you can expect the WD warranty replacement to be much faster than 30 days. They are just CTA with that statement. Assuming that you're in the US you should have a replacement drive in your hands within 7 days of them receiving the defective one. That's my experience any way and I'm out in the boonies :)

And here we go again, less than 24 hours on a fresh install and it freezes crashes and hangs...... i will be contacting WD shortly.

A note on the testing utilities:

Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics(WDLD) reports no errors.

Windows itself reports bad sectors.

Both linux distributions that i have live booted to and scanned the drive with report 1 bad sector.

Soo.... who is right? According to western digital WDLD is the best indicator of a failing drive..............