is going from 1600mhz ddr3 to 2133 worth it

i am currently running a 8 gig kit 4x2gb of kingston hyper x ddr3 1600mhz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104239

i am wondering if is worth it to upgrage to a 8 gig kit of gskill ripjaw ddr3 2133 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231476

or shold i look for something with a lower cas latency like 7

Edited by jdm_freek

Even going from 1066 to 2133 rarely shows an increase in speed for most applications. Going from 1600 to 2133 (or anything for that matter) won't net you any appreciable benefits.

ive done a upgrade like that , only to reap the stability of a higher OC.

not all things are worthless, some people waste massive money to LN2 cool a computer for less than 4 hours and never use it again.

at least with a upgrade as such, unless his Timings are awful at the higher speed, nothing says "im going to use you longer" than newer, faster hardware imo

my ram as we speak is hitting me in the gonads. with higher rated spd ram i can get my oc to almost 4.7 with twice as much ease.

otherwise im screwing with timings trying to keep the chips running so much higher than the rated specs

not all chips like to OC the same when it comes to ram. he has 2 sticks, but when you get to people like me using 6, id rather not have to rely on all six sticks to overclock with the same potential, id rather use them to the closest rated specs when im gettin high up the chart.

ive done a upgrade like that , only to reap the stability of a higher OC.

not all things are worthless, some people waste massive money to LN2 cool a computer for less than 4 hours and never use it again.

at least with a upgrade as such, unless his Timings are awful at the higher speed, nothing says "im going to use you longer" than newer, faster hardware imo

my ram as we speak is hitting me in the gonads. with higher rated spd ram i can get my oc to almost 4.7 with twice as much ease.

otherwise im screwing with timings trying to keep the chips running so much higher than the rated specs

not all chips like to OC the same when it comes to ram. he has 2 sticks, but when you get to people like me using 6, id rather not have to rely on all six sticks to overclock with the same potential, id rather use them to the closest rated specs when im gettin high up the chart.

:withstupid: The only reason to pay for higher rated RAM is for the overclocking headroom, and certain benchmarks benefit from higher speeds. The extra overhead is only really useful if you have at least a good watercooling setup.

Well since your running SB, the whole overclocking thing is a moot point, multiplier overclocking isn't going to be affected by your ram speed.

The only reason you would need 16gb's of ram would be if you ran VERY memory intensive programs, programs on a ram drive or virtual machine. Except for that it won't make a difference as already stated by Waco.

Im running 2133mhz and I'd suggest staying at 1600mhz . The tighter 1600mhz timings make more difference than higher mhz .

Rather add more ram IF you think you would use more - I have never noticed full 8Gb ram usage on my system because I am a gamer but if you do rendering , intense work applications , etc then you should maybe go to 16Gb if you are using up all 8Gb

True, currently running 8GB, I've yet see it go above 5GB in any application or multiple programs..

:withstupid:

I've never seen any more either, though I have a 16gb kit I don't understand how you can possibly use it all unless you're running a shitload of programs at the same time.