About how much is the CPU/GPU split in games now adays

Ive been wondering what the average CPU/GPU split is now in modern games. I think i read somewhere a couple years back that it was 40/60 cpu/gpu respectively.( for example say you running a game at 30 FPS and with a 40/60 hypothetical split that 30FPs is getting achieved by 60% GPU to 40% CPU meaning GPU is more used then actually CPU performance if that makes sense) but now that more and more games and optimizing the usage of multiple cores im sure that split is changing. I know the type of game and it engine plays a large part in which component is used more then the other so as an example i will list what games are in question to this "split"

-Borderlands

-Need For Speed Hot Pursuit and Shift 2 Unleashed

- Mass Effect 2

-Call Of Duty Black Ops

-Star Trek Online

And Similar games.

The main reason for this post is ive upgraded the CPU on my project build for my step son and was wondering about how much FPS increase i would be expecting

The current system specs as of now are

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 (2.2GHz 1Mb L2 Cache 800Mhz FSB)

3Gb PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM

Sound Blaster Audigy SE Sound Card

PNY Geforce GT 430

80Gb Sata2 7200 RPM HDD

Im upgrading to the Intel Pentium Dual Core E6800 (3.33Ghz 2Mb L2 Cache 1066FSB). Now the Passmark rating for this CPU is 100 points shy of being double that of the current E2200 ( E2200 = 1246, E6800= 2307) Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit My Passmark Performance Test 7.0 CPU Score is actually 1558 with the E2200 and it was 1275 when i was running Vista Home Premium 32 bit so that score was practically spot on from what passmarks databases reported and jumping up 300 points when switched to a 64 bit OS so i would guesstimate the E6800 score to be around 2600? but thats not the question. Armed with what information i have provided along with games the system would be playing (all games listed allready run at average of 30 FPS with all settings maxxed with E2200) so about how much increase should i expect to see with the upgrade to the E6800? and also what would you gies to be the average current CPu/GPU split in games meaning what percentage of each componet Dictate the actual FPS you recieve

Edited by DnaAngel

I have wondered this to.

But new games are not what they used to be. Some games are 70/30 (supreme commander, guessing) and some are 30/70(Crysis, guessing)

What I do is keep my system balanced. And look for the best upgrades in the price to performance area first.

But remember to, that benchmarks are not the same in real world situations. I would recommend that you go to a Core 2 Duo(or quad) system over a same but higher clock speed CPU.

With a GPU that slow the CPU is unlikely to matter much. The ratio you're asking for changes based on what CPU, GPU, and game you're talking about.

Edited by Waco

With a GPU that slow the CPU is unlikely to matter much. The ratio you're asking for changes based on what CPU, GPU, and game you're talking about.

Actually the Gt 430 surprised me i mean its no GTX 460+ but every game ive thrown at it so far its been keeping atleast 30FPS with all settings at max. I did a little playthough thru the first part of Crysis Warhead and i had to lower some settings but i think that was a CPU issue not so much GPU. By what ive read and seen the Intel Pentium Dual Core E6800 outperforms all of the Core 2 Duo line minus the E8600 and E8700 which barely have any noticeable performance increase. Im going to eventually Upgrade GPU to the Sapphire Radeon Hd 5670 1Gb for this machine. with the 5670 i will gain right at 2x the gaming performance over the GT 430. THis isnt going to be any "High End" Gaming rig by any means. Hell im still keeping it in the original HP Case. but by what ive seen it do on the games ive played so far i think the E6800 and a future 5670 will be great additions to this build. And it goes to show with builds as this one that you dont nessacerily need 100$'s sometimes 1000's of dollars of top tier hardware to enjoy games with eye candy visuals and still get smooth Gameplay. i think alot of top tier hype has clouded peoples vision of what hardware can do and at what level.

One way to go about this would to be to get evga precision or Msi afterburner and use the in game monitors to check out what's loaded down the most out of the two. My two gtx480 gpus will load down my i7 920 processor roughly 20% and about 25 - 40% at most with three 480s in a crysis warhead mod. As Waco has said it depends on the combination between the two and how and where the game data comes from. If you have an ssd its going to help data pipe to everything and if you have the data off the southbridge it increases the bandwidth even further. The ssd will not help frames much but the load times will be much better. Focus on your CPU memory and gPU first. This will give you the most bang for Buck.