Sign in to follow this  
neddamttocs

Are you getting Star Wars: The Old Republic?

43 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting Star Wars: The Old Republic?

• Yes, Collectors Edition
    • Yes, Regular Edition
    • No
    • Maybe, Havent Decided

no... i am probably the only one who has gotten sick of star wars after hearing about it for 20 years.. it was cool, i had a star wars birthday party once

Thinking about it. An MMO like that is more of a commitment it seems and requires a lot of time. That, and there's a pretty large cost associated with it over a couple of years. I'll wait until a few weeks into it to make my decision. Maybe after CES my brain and I will talk about it :P

Never, Guild Wars 2 all the way. I remember watching gameplay videos of SW:TOR and it just WoW with Jedi's.

I ask SW: TOR people, why should I play it. The only answer they ever give me is its SW. I can name many things that make GW2 good, give me a reason why I should even consider SW: TOR.

Watched this video and he says:

In SW: TOR you fight 10 evil rats as a Sith Lord for your first mission.

In Guild Wars 2 you fight this big #@3 boss for your first mission.

:withstupid: got to admid, for the CE of guildwars i paid 60 euros, and I can play the game without paying more every month. This is the way it should be

While I am unable to comment on my thoughts of the game directly I can say that I will NOT be buying the game and will likely only play it when it goes live once it goes F2P. And it will, they all will, F2P is the future of MMO gaming.

:withstupid: got to admid, for the CE of guildwars i paid 60 euros, and I can play the game without paying more every month. This is the way it should be

F2P is not the future and it is not how it "should be".

F2P is where dieing MMOs go to cling to life through micro-transactions.

Leaving WoW behind, Rift and Aion still both use the monthly subscription platform and still have a larger, more active playerbase than both AoC and warhammer which were both released at similiar times to Aion and are now both F2P.

There are 2 very different F2P models -

1. Micro-transactions (AoC, world of tanks etc): This is where an MMO doesn't have a monthly subscription fee but still has content updates semi-regularly, the content updates and servers are maintained by people who spend real money on in-game items and/or content through a micro-transaction store.

1a. The problem with this method is that it creates a wildly uneven and unbalancable game, those willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for items, abilities or even classes have an upperhand over those who spend nothing or very little.

1b. Most people actually end up spending MORE per month on a F2P MMO than a regular subscription based one, a micro-transaction model creates an impulse-buyer mindset, you might think at the time "$5 for this sweet sword, that's nothing" but you only need to do it 3 times per month and you've paid just as much as a subscription fee and in many cases more (most micro transactions aren't $5, atleast not for the good stuff) and what are you getting for your money? Less support, worse and less frequent content updates and no garuntee that you will ever be able to compete with any given person assuming the same level of skill (Money > skill in this model).

1c. Most of the games that use this model aren't really giving you the whole game for free, it's actually just an unlimited trial. If you install AoC right now and create a new account you can play for free but to what extent? Well for starters you are limited to only 4 classes out of the 12 in the game (You have to pay to play two-thirds of the classes in the game) and the 4 you are limited to are the cookie-cutter basic MMO roles (1 tank, 1 healer, 1 melee, 1 ranged dps). Lotr uses a similiar model, you can play the game for free and even use all the classes but you have to pay for content in micro-transactions (the ability to run certain dungeons, items, zones etc) and in lotrs case it is actually cheaper to pay the $15 a month subscription than it is to play for "free" and buy all the content with micro-transactions.

2. F2P (Guild wars): Guild wars is free to play, anyone that buys the game get's the same game and can play without a subscription BUT you don't get content updates outside of expansions, if you told any of the millions of WoW subscribers that they weren't going to get any major content updates (patches) until the next expansion (1 year+) they would start a riot.

2a. Guild wars expansion turn-around was about 6-8 months and the expansion would cost you $40-$60, a guild wars expansion was about the same size as a major content patch in WoW (new raid, new zone etc), $60 is 4 months worth of WoW subscription cost and in that 4 months you would've had atleast 1 major content patch (possibly even 2) and several minor ones, you are getting more content in a shorter time frame for the same amount of money.

2b. Guild wars is classified as F2P but really it is a B2P expansion model, you have to pay for content and the content turn-around is far too long for real MMO-gamers, Unless they plan on releasing a new expansion every 2-3 months for GW2 it will never have as much content (or content updates as frequent) as Swtor or WoW and if they do release expansions that fast, it will actually cost you more per month to play GW2 than the other 2 that use the successful, traditional subscription model.

A subscription model provides better, more frequent and larger content updates, it provides better support (10-24 hours to get a GM ticket answered in WoW, over a week in AoC and WoW has far, far more subscribers and tickets to get through), the subscription model assures all players are on an even playing field, imbalances and bugs are more readily dealt with (more frequent minor content updates/patches) and all-round a subscription based MMO is of better quality.

Bottom line is if swtor was F2P, I wouldn't play it and neither would most of it's eagerly awaiting fan base, would you seriously want to be greeted at the create-a-character screen with a $20 price-tag next to the Jedi knight or Sith inquisitor? Would you want to pay $10 to use a lightsaber? and pay an extra $5 if you wanted to change your saber's colour?

I could go on for the next 3 days about why F2P is an abolustely stupid idea, I haven't even touched on the type of playerbase a F2P model attracts (Tell me that team fortress 2 is better now that it is F2P, Aimbot fest FTL) but it can all be summed up nicely by a post I made on the swtor forums which was later picked up by a gaming blog.

TL;DR

http://gamingphanatic.com/2011/09/20/star-wars-the-old-republic-stop-with-all-the-xxxx-is-f2p-threads/

In response to the original question, I pre-ordered (and paid for) the CE :)

F2P is where dieing MMOs go to cling to life through micro-transactions.

Guess you have not seen the Asian market. PWI is a company that is growing fast and they are almost all F2P in their stable.

If I had tyo choose an F2P style then I would personally like to see a Hybrid of Guildwars with the game being paid for but the servers free. You have a game store to add new armors, weapons, purely costmetic of course as well as some special racial looks and then pay for each expansion.

If you want to debate the F2{P model I have no issue with doing that. If you want to tal;k about the players F2P has, you might want to trething that as the subscription side is no better as far as community quality.

While I am unable to comment on my thoughts of the game directly I can say that I will NOT be buying the game and will likely only play it when it goes live once it goes F2P. And it will, they all will, F2P is the future of MMO gaming.

Your typical F2P costs much much more then if you paid a subscription. Unless you like grinding twice as much and having inferior equipment then all the people that spend hundreds and even thousands on the game. Many games are going F2P because of the fact they cost more to the player in the end and makes the company more money. It's not a good thing. It's a disease to gaming.

It should be possible to make a game where the cash shop doesn't imbalance the game...but greed will almost always win so you get imbalanced games that require you to spend a lot more money if you want to be on the same level as the rest of the players.

I have to agree with Whatislove on his very descriptive post about F2P gaming. I think that with the promises of "making the game great before release - less bugs" aspect that EA/Bioware is taking with this game, will require them to keep on top of the game in a similar way that Blizzard has done with WoW. I believe their handle on the bugs, and other workings of the game will determine if/how the game succeeds and it's longevity.

I don't mind the monthly fees associated when I think about it. Netflix costs just as much a month as this game subscription. Direct TV/Cable costs more (base package where I live is $60 and that's for local channels), which is useless since I don't watch TV. Besides playing the game, I've used MMO's in the past as a social outlet to talk to friends/family all over the world.

All and all, considering it IS Star Wars, I have ordered the CE edition and can't wait to hop on and play a trooper.

Guess you have not seen the Asian market. PWI is a company that is growing fast and they are almost all F2P in their stable.

If I had tyo choose an F2P style then I would personally like to see a Hybrid of Guildwars with the game being paid for but the servers free. You have a game store to add new armors, weapons, purely costmetic of course as well as some special racial looks and then pay for each expansion.

If you want to debate the F2{P model I have no issue with doing that. If you want to tal;k about the players F2P has, you might want to trething that as the subscription side is no better as far as community quality.

First point, Asian market:

The asian market is just that, the asian market, and is almost entirely different to the rest of the world in terms of gaming and especially MMOs, it also doesn't do your side of the argument much justice because they back up subscription based MMOs with 2 quite impressive statistics:

1. The asian market comprised over 6 million of the 11 million active WoW subscribers WoW had at its peak and

2. The asian market is responsible for the most popular MMO of all time, lineage II (Subscription), which had over 20 million active subscribers at its peak, all of which were from the asian market (This was before lineage II got ported to the western market).

Aion, which started in the asian market over a year before it released in the west, had millions of subscribers and still has millions of asian subscribers.

You can't use numbers from the asian market to back up a future of gaming argument, there are SO many more people in this market compared to the west that all the numbers seem impressive but when in reality they aren't that impressive at all (when looking at the number of people playing/subscribing compared to their entire populous).

They are also a totally different breed of gamer (Generally), Aion had millions of asian subscribers before it was released in the west and when it was released the majority of the western market hated it's grindy nature which caused it to lose most of its inital subscribers (it only enjoys a small success now after many, many patches to reduce grinding and a new expansion).

Point 2, Your preferred F2P style:

The problem with this style was explained in my last post, content updates are provided solely through expansions and these expansions are not frequent or large enough to occupy and satisfy most serious MMO gamers - Even WoW casuals are completing new content at a decent rate which sees them without much to do before the new patch, and these patches are 2-3 times more frequent than guild wars expansions and are quite often larger.

Point 3, Type of player:

I wasn't trying to say that anyone who wants to play for free is going to be undesirable but the fact of the matter is F2P opens up an MMO (or any online game for that matter) to a wider audience of undesirables.

1. Botters, gold farmers and RMT - It is far easier for RMT (gold selling etc) to run rampant in a F2P environment, there is no penalty for getting banned because they simply open a new account.

2. Hackers - What have they got to lose? they didn't pay anything for the account so why not throw on a speed hack and ruin a BG, or spam the server so much that it crashes, I played on the same TF2 server for over 2 years and I never once saw a single aimbotter or hacker, since going F2P I've had to fraps 28 speed hackers and aimbotters on the very same server I have played on for years.

3. Spammers (Harrasment) - People who just want to ruin the game because they like another one better, people who just think its funny to spam, troll and clog up chat channels etc

They are the really bad ones but there are also plenty of other groups, people who don't belong in an MMO, people who don't really want to play the game etc etc.

Bottom line is a subscription based MMO is a far better environment for everyone who actually wants to play an MMO (In ALL respects).

Edited by Whatislove