Sign in to follow this  
MoD_Box_CPU

MoD Box Gaming Center Builds

With plans for the shop being made I'd figure I'd show you guys the intended builds for the gaming center:

Case: CM HAF 912- $54

PSU: Corsair 750W- $89 (retail :( )

Mobo: ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX - $230

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition - $190

Mem: Corsair XMS3 1600 8GB - $118 for a pack of 16GB

Graphics: XFX 6970 2GB 256 bit $320

HDD: WD 1TB 7200 RPM $75

Cooling: Zalman all cooper - $47

and fans...LOTS OF FANS!!!

Total: $1123 (rough estimate with newegg, price will change when my suppliers send me their catalogs)

There will be a grand total of 22 of these machines built along with an admin server to host virtual disks.

Edited by MoD_Box_CPU

Why pay so much for the 990FX and 1100T? If it's for pure gaming with a single card I'd go with the:

Mobo: MSI Z68MA-G45 (B3) - $119.99

Processor: Intel i5 2500K - $219.99

You end up saving $90 and you can overclock to 4.6GHz easily, which will help FPS in games.

I would also limit to 8GB's memory, no need for 16GB's for gaming.

The PSU is fine, when the graphics cards get outdated, you can SLI/Crossfire cards and get new cards for half the machines. Though I highly recommend going Nvidia GTX 570's, best bang for the buck for single card solutions, especially when overclocked, and switching from single card to multiple cards are a pain in the butt with AMD.

I'd also go with Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB's at $50 a pop. More reliable, quieter, and faster than WD Caviar Black 1TB's and $25 cheaper.

• Like 1

With plans for the shop being made I'd figure I'd show you guys the intended builds for the gaming center:

Case: CM HAF 912- $54

PSU: Corsair 750W- $89 (retail :( )

Mem: Corsair XMS3 1600 8GB - $118 for a pack of 16GB

Graphics: XFX 6970 2GB 256 bit $320

HDD: WD 1TB 7200 RPM $75

Cooling: Zalman all cooper - $47

and fans...LOTS OF FANS!!!

Total: $1123 (rough estimate with newegg, price will change when my suppliers send me their catalogs)

There will be a grand total of 22 of these machines built along with an admin server to host virtual disks.

I worked for a gaming center years back that my buddy owned up here in Milwaukee, we ran pretty mid-range machines that didn't have the top of the market components in them. I think our unit cost was like $750 per machine...

Most of the gaming centers up here closed up years ago due to the economy and people playing more and more on consoles at home, we were one of the last to close.

We originally started out with about 16 machines, and worked our way up to about 35. Business was good with the 16 machines, most of the time we had customers on all of the machines. After the upgrade we had to start selling special promotions such as All day passes for $20, we sold out but were not making enough money to cover costs and payroll.

I don't want to sound to negative but I would approach this business conservatively when it comes to the machines and what not you have. I would also invest in some xbox's, consoles are where its at for the majority of gamers these days. MMO's are really the only thing people play on PC (general consumers), you need to approach this with aiming your business at the general consumer of video games, not the hardcore PC enthusiasts. Its a very tough business with most of them not succeeding. I have yet to see a gaming/lan center not going out of business... Just a little friendly advice.. Good luck with your business ventures.

I worked for a gaming center years back that my buddy owned up here in Milwaukee, we ran pretty mid-range machines that didn't have the top of the market components in them. I think our unit cost was like $750 per machine...

Most of the gaming centers up here closed up years ago due to the economy and people playing more and more on consoles at home, we were one of the last to close.

We originally started out with about 16 machines, and worked our way up to about 35. Business was good with the 16 machines, most of the time we had customers on all of the machines. After the upgrade we had to start selling special promotions such as All day passes for $20, we sold out but were not making enough money to cover costs and payroll.

I don't want to sound to negative but I would approach this business conservatively when it comes to the machines and what not you have. I would also invest in some xbox's, consoles are where its at for the majority of gamers these days. MMO's are really the only thing people play on PC (general consumers), you need to approach this with aiming your business at the general consumer of video games, not the hardcore PC enthusiasts. Its a very tough business with most of them not succeeding. I have yet to see a gaming/lan center not going out of business... Just a little friendly advice.. Good luck with your business ventures.

Thanks we in fact are going to have a console area to host wii, xbox, and playstation as well as a lounge area in front with wifi and comfy chairs. Only real thing left to do is find our location and submit for the business loan (which is the part I'm not looking forward to at all)

check the link in my sig for our facebook page also

Edited by MoD_Box_CPU

Interesting idea, I thought about doing this at one point after finding a similar area in AIT at Gordon. Though they offered a movie viewing area as well as gaming and a WiFi network, they profited huge. Especially with a pizza shop inside of the complex itself.

Though I think the builds can be had for a bit less by putting some components down, such as the processor (Seems like game utilize up to a quad core, no?), I think the build is pretty solid.

Can we have some pictures of the actual facility posted on the Facebook or something? Cannot get an idea of what is going on there.

Interesting idea, I thought about doing this at one point after finding a similar area in AIT at Gordon. Though they offered a movie viewing area as well as gaming and a WiFi network, they profited huge. Especially with a pizza shop inside of the complex itself.

Though I think the builds can be had for a bit less by putting some components down, such as the processor (Seems like game utilize up to a quad core, no?), I think the build is pretty solid.

Can we have some pictures of the actual facility posted on the Facebook or something? Cannot get an idea of what is going on there.

I actually dont have a facility yet as thats my next step, the scale and mockups are all we have so far, but we are looking to open in either Naperville or Weaton

Why pay so much for the 990FX and 1100T? If it's for pure gaming with a single card I'd go with the:

Mobo: MSI Z68MA-G45 (B3) - $119.99

Processor: Intel i5 2500K - $219.99

You end up saving $90 and you can overclock to 4.6GHz easily, which will help FPS in games.

I would also limit to 8GB's memory, no need for 16GB's for gaming.

The PSU is fine, when the graphics cards get outdated, you can SLI/Crossfire cards and get new cards for half the machines. Though I highly recommend going Nvidia GTX 570's, best bang for the buck for single card solutions, especially when overclocked, and switching from single card to multiple cards are a pain in the butt with AMD.

I'd also go with Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB's at $50 a pop. More reliable, quieter, and faster than WD Caviar Black 1TB's and $25 cheaper.

The pc's will be 8gb a piece but the memory is sold in 16gb packs which turns out to be and $20 cheaper than buying the 8gb packs, and I'll take the advice on the hard drive but I'm pretty stuck on the AMD/ATI solutions simply for power cost and I've yet to have a problem with multicard amd platforms but thanks for the advice.