how much would a sound card help me

swizzmaster

hello im going to get this set of Logitech Z623 200 w 2.1 Speaker System, THX-Certified and plug them into the the integrated audio on my BIOSTAR TA870U3+ motherboard. i was wondering if i would gain anything from buying a dedicated sound card to use instead or does that not really matter in a 2.1 speaker system?

• 2 weeks later...

swizzmaster ..That was a question I had a few years back. I bought a sound card (Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio) for one reason only, to free up my Cpu to get the max frame rate for Oblivion. With today's mother boards, the on board sound chip is all you will ever need. When I build my next box I will not include a sound card. I will use the money for more important things like video card, memory, SSD ...ect.

Nah dun lose too much sleep over sound card/DAC for boxed PC Speakers - save up and get hifi stuff in future :thumbsup:

:withstupid:

unless your spending a LOT of money on speakers, or over $100 on a set of cans, you dont need a discrete soundcard/dac.

Actually, it really depends on how sensitive your ears are to audio. I have a set of x-540s and have used them on both the Asus Xonar and the onboard on my MSI 890FX. There is a significant difference for me, especially in the case of the sheer clarity of sound. If it's within your budget and you have a good pair of speakers, I would say pick up a decent sound card.

swizzmaster ..That was a question I had a few years back. I bought a sound card (Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio) for one reason only, to free up my Cpu to get the max frame rate for Oblivion. With today's mother boards, the on board sound chip is all you will ever need. When I build my next box I will not include a sound card. I will use the money for more important things like video card, memory, SSD ...ect.

This is just flat out wrong.

I've never owned a motherboard with onboard sound (even some with factory add-in PCI/PCIe cards) that sounded anywhere near as good as a dedicated good > great aftermarket sound card. Ever. Volume, clarity, definition, separation has always been better with an aftermarket card. Always. And I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means. However, there are probably millions (especially those that swear by the quality of their onboard sound solutions) that will disagree with me.

I think in your situation you might want to compromise. Watch for a good sound card on sale, or even consider buying a used one that you might find around here or on eBay. Give it a try and decide for yourself whether it's worth it or not. I mean just last week Amazon had Creative xFI Titaniums on sale for $69 bucks. You can't hardly not buy one if you come across a deal like that again.

If u are thinking music hit proper bookshelf speakers with decent drivers/tweeters to handle the highs/mids Some decent ones could go down to say 45-55 hz so depending on your room you may not even need a sub and with music you are better off with good bookshelf/floor standers rather than a bad sub which would muddy up the SQ :rofl: I am not surprised that peeps who do not understand audio hardware assume throwing more $$ = better With $100 one could buy a pair of awful PC boxed speakers and they would sound crap but you can also hit a cool running/tiny TA2020 amplifier and a Polk M10 speaker and even with ALC66x sound chip that you prolly have they would be heaven compared to PC Speaker :P I have helped many friends/relatives get into the world of proper speakers in this way and even poor students can get a Wolfston based DAC for like $28-30 with the Fiio D3 that would further improve SQ. If u need more info i dun think this is the best place for advice and hit

AVS/Whathifi for speaker questions

Head-Fi for DAC/Soundcard questions

Hope i helped and happy weekends :no:

Edited by trog

• 1 month later...