[Build Log] Computer Desk finally DONE!

MJCRO

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW MJ, mind me asking why you have decided to not go with the sand down and stain option?

Well, the GAWD awful stripes picard1.png all around this thing had to go, but if you check out a couple of the first pics, there's a HUGE blue diamond on the top of the desk, I had to cover up all of the old before I could do anymore! smile.gif

jesus-facepalm.jpg

Sanding it down implies getting rid of the old finish/paint. What's hard to understand about that? An electric sander would make short work of any prior paint and allow you to stain the desk to make it beautiful.

Sanding it down implies getting rid of the old finish/paint. What's hard to understand about that? An electric sander would make short work of any prior paint and allow you to stain the desk to make it beautiful.

+1. It worked wonders on my desk.....

You know what, I've been a renovator for as long as your Dad, and if it was my desk I'd do it the exact same way you are, the paint was on the desk much too thick and the wood had too many imperfections to do it any other way.Good work by the way.

Oak is a grainy wood while it is a hardwood still it is not as easy to remove paint once it settles in. You would really need to rip it back to remove those god aweful diamonds.

If i was repairing this i would have put in inlays but that is more work and more time i guess in the end this is whaat will be best for the desk.

I have to agree, looking at the original condition that this might have been the best route to go. Personally I HATE seeing a nice wood anything painted. A good stain or varnish can bring out the wood and look amazing. However the way it was orginally done it look like this would be a seriously tough and longer term job. I understand the decision you made, a shame but I understand it.

3 coats of the black latex is now done, applied 2 coats of the finish mixed with some primer on the top. Now just waiting for that to dry, then I'm gonna sand the top and apply the finish with mahogany dark paint and then poly urethane to give it some protection and gloss! thumbsup3.gif

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

The old brass handle fittings were the ones on the right, the new ones I'm using will be on the left. teehee.gif

Edited by MJCRO