Ivy Bridge

What exactly is Ivy Bridge? Is it a totally new chipset or is it a new line of sand bridge?

Intel's 3rd generation i3/i5/i7 (new processor series). They are backwards compatability with current 1155 socket mobo, but there will be newer chipsets that support more ports and slots (native pci-e 3.0, usb 3.0, and etc).

Edited by Krazyxazn

It sure is nice to see them adding support for the current chipsets but I hope it wont be painful to update the BIOS of the current boards to be able to install the new CPU.

Edit : BTW when it will be released in 2012 ?! in which quarter !!?!

Edited by N.E.A

It sure is nice to see them adding support for the current chipsets but I hope it wont be painful to update the BIOS of the current boards to be able to install the new CPU.

Edit : BTW when it will be released in 2012 ?! in which quarter !!?!

Supposed to be 1st Quarter 2012. Im hoping the New Nvidia are out about that time too.

Supposed to be 1st Quarter 2012. Im hoping the New Nvidia are out about that time too.

Yeah XD this will definitely break the bank for me lol

edit : but i think i am gonna grab AMD this time since i will be using multiple monitors. and to be honest I wanted to go with them ever since the 5800 ..

Edited by N.E.A

From the Anandtech chart, it looks like the newer chipsets won't support Sandy bridge. Anyone have any ideas on why? Just because of limitations of the architecture not supporting what the chipset does?