neddamttocs

What is your next pc component purchase?

72 members have voted

1. 1. What is your next pc component purchase?

• Case
    • CPU
    • Video Card
    • Motherboard
    • HDD
    • SSD
    • PSU
    • RAM
    • CPU Cooler
    • Cooling Accessories
    • Other
    • All of the above

There are literally no benefits to not running a page file while there are several real drawbacks...

As for me.. I'm waiting on Bulldozer.

I've read that its not wise to run a page file on a SSD, and I need every last GB on my secondary. What are the drawbacks? I haven't noticed any yet.

I will be building an actual desktop around FEB. Ill be back in the USA in mid Jan. I'd Like to build one now, but a desktop is not practical where I'm at (Middle East deployment).

I've read that its not wise to run a page file on a SSD

An SSD is the *best* place to put your page file. Reads and writes are designed to be as large as possible to speed up HDD access which is exactly what you want to do when accessing an SSD as well. The number of writes is fairly small, nothing that will wear it out noticeably prematurely.

Not having a page file at all can cause problems whenever a program expect it to be there. Photoshop, for example, has issues with this.

Probably a Bulldozer or Ivy Bridge CPU if it seems worth it for an upgrade using the same motherboards that I have.

Don't turn off paging files, SSD's are barely affected by it, and you shouldn't ever be strapped for memory with DDR3 prices being so cheap these days, anyway.

Probably a second GTX 560 Ti for SLI, so I'll be ready when I get my new monitor. Though the finances sure don't allow any upgrades at the moment.

If i buy anything it will be another GTX570.

But other than that, it will likely be a whole system upgrade if i get anything, but that likely wont be for awhile. If got needs for a second computer so im thinking it might be more fun, if less practical, to just get a whole new system. Then use my current system for my 2nd machine.

Realistically, i dont have the money for anything right now, so nothing i guess, lol.