Snow Beast

Fogel

Normally I am not one to do this sort of thing, but so many people helped me out on these forums with my build that I thought I would share the result. I know I like seeing how someone else's build came along and what it looks like, so... let's get to it!

I know by comparison standards to most PCs here, this PC is anything but beast and certainly isn't the coolest kid on the block. It's not sporting two 590s for Quad SLI or OCed so hard that veins are bulging out from the PCB through the heatspreaders while operating @ load temp of 22C. That would truly be worthy of the name Snow Beast, but this is the most powerful computer I've ever owned. The name really comes from the case - it is just so big ...and white! It just seems... to fit. :)

I like how its pure white on the outer shell with a black interior. I can think of a lot of symbolism with that.

PRE PC DESK REVAMP:

I figure this may not interest people as much. I needed to revamp my whole desk so I figured adding a new PC in would be the best time to do it. To show you what I mean, here is what it looked like before the Snow Beast.

PreSB_desk01.png

PreSB_desk02.png

So ya, pretty damn bad - poor functional use and horrible use of deskspace ...and well it just looks like ...CRAP!

SNOW BEAST:

- Intel 2500k

- ASUS P8P67 Pro (Rev 3.1)

- Corsair H80

- EVGA GTX 570

- G.Skill 8GB (9-9-9-24/CL9)

- Corsair HX750W

- Corsair 600T (Graphite)

- Patriot Wildfire 120GB

- Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

- Xigmatek 120mm

Not the best picture as it has the wrong tint, but that is because if I use the camera flash it over powers the LED. When I took this picture I realized if I move the DVD drive from Bay 3 to Bay 4 it will show more of the radiator fan LED and hide the ugly power cables you can see thru the mesh grill. Looks like blue LED but they look like a pure crystal white in person.

SB_01.png

SB_02.png

SB_05.png

View of my cable management without the side panel on. As you can see, I did a horrible job with the PSU area. Only way I can think to hide that would be to use the HDD cage I removed to shield them from view. Not sure what would do to temperatures though.

SB_08.png

Looking through the looking glass...

SB_07.png

Here is a close up view of the Xigmatek fan. I think it has a really cool look to it - crystal blue fan blades and white LEDs. You can also see my attempt to hide the fan cables which come super close to the 200mm. :lol:

SB_Fan_01.png

TEMPERATURES:

So I did some temperature readings to gauge how effective the case is with minmal variation from spec and well to see how good the H80 is.

If Room Temp = 26.7°

Top External Exhaust = 27.5°

Bot External Exhaust = 25.1°

Bot Internal Temp = 25.3° (case closed)

Top Internal Temp = 27.5° (case open)

Top Internal Temp = 27.1° (case closed)

CPU Idle: 34C

CPU Load: 50C

If Room Temp = 23.5°

Back of PC Exhaust = 27.1° ...so a delta of 3.6°

Top Internal Temp = 26.5° (case closed)

Reason I am only including two temps on the second readout is because a few/couple people mentioned that I should switch fan setup on my radiator so that it is pulling air in from outside the case instead of my current set up which is pulling air in from inside the case. I figure with the lower room temp it would favor everyone's suggestions, but my fear is my IPS panels are producing too much heat to do that.

Rad Setup from back wall of PC:

_____

|

|<=[rad]<=

|

If anyone has any suggestions/comments, don't be shy. :)

ADDITIONAL (not as good) PICTURES:

SB_06.png

SB_03.png

DESK REVAMP:

SB_desk01.png

STUFF TO DO:

• OC the CPU
  • OC the GPU
  • Possibly install a 2nd Spinpoint for RAID-0 on my storage drive ...not sure if I would need to reinstall windows tho
  • Put the DVD drive down 1 bay
  • Possibly install a 2nd GTX 570 for SLI (waaay down the line ...more than likely I won't do this)

To add raid-0 to your storage drive. You would not need to reformat windows because i assume its on that SSD you have listed.

But you would lose all the data currently on your storage drive.

Case and desk look great, im super jealous!

Kool man, thats a nice case. I like it. Enjoy your new Rig.

Looks nice! :) Really liking the Corsair cases, and will most definitely be picking one up some time next year.

What monitors are those? Look like 2x HP 24"?

Wow good eye! :cheers:

I have nothing but good things to say about this case. I am surprised Corsair can do such a good job seeing as how it is not their specialty. I was kinda hesitant to try it out for that reason.

Very nice Fogel. Congrats!

Looks sweet!

I expected to see some modding though...are those days behind you?

You know, with this case I really don't feel the need to mod it. It looks so nice and functions so well that I like it the way it is. I will of course OC this guy. Would like to do it this weekend but I have a friend in from out of town, train pretty much all day on Sunday and another friend is trying to get me into his Golf tourny on Saturday. Since I don't really play golf I am thinking he just wants my entry fee. :lol:

But ya, outside of OC I don't foresee any modding. Though a lot of my creativity is pouring out on the software side and learning how to make movies and such. I would love to get my hands on a newer edition of Photoshop but I am too cheap for that. I got my copy from when I was a website builder.

To add raid-0 to your storage drive. You would not need to reformat windows because i assume its on that SSD you have listed.

But you would lose all the data currently on your storage drive.

Case and desk look great, im super jealous!

Thanks much :)

Only reason I wasn't sure about re-installing windows is because I didn't install any raid drivers and I don't know if Windows 7 and current motherboards are more supportive of that now.

Very nice looking case and new desk area. Fairly clean interior too, much better than mine. :lol: How was the H80 to install?

ha ha hah Thanks :)

The H80 is a pretty darn easy install. It was a TON easier than my Zalman CN9500 on my previous build. No having to muscle anything. It just fits into place. Granted I switched out one of the Corsair fans with that Xigmatek for style, function and quiet. Attaching the fan to the radiator was a tad annoying as the plastic is too flexible so I had to make sure to make it steady but not over tighten. About the only thing I'd probably warn someone about is I typically install the CPU and HSF first so I installed the Radiator and two fans and realized I didn't have enough clearance for my hands to plug a fan and the power plug so I removed that stupid Xigmatek Fan like 2-3 times. :lol:

looks awesome dude...well done :)

In my opinion i would NOT raid 0 a storage drive....

Thanks dude :)

Is that simply because of the added risk of possibly losing data? I don't keep anything on my computer I would call important. The storage drive will be for Steam, most games really, art, additional software, raw movies, rendered movies. Right now 2TB drives really haven't caught up to 1TB in performance. I mostly thinking about it simply in case the movies start taking up too much space. I suppose I could just add additional drive down the line. I dunno I am still thinking stuff over. Currently I am too busy to fill up the space so no rush.

yes...mostly that.

9 times out of 10 it would be fine but there are times it isnt and all will be lost. I currently have 150 GB of games in Steam and I really prefer not to re-download them I back up that folder so after a fresh re-install I just re-install Steam then move the folder over the top....walla no re-downloading....

so in essence if you decided to Raid 0 the drives you would need an additional drive to keep it backed up just incase of failure....if you want to spend the money on 2 more drives to play with you might try it....

I dont think you would have to reload the OS....as the SSD is NOT part of the raid...

you can set RAID in the BIOS and select the ports you want RAID to control....then plug in the SSD into one of the Non-Raid'd ports after you build the raid of the 2 storage drives and then boot to the SSD...

I was able to do that with my X38 board so I dont know why you couldnt with a newer one....