New cable for K701?

SMeeD

After years of use, the left driver of my K701s is starting to cut out. I think its the cable but I'm not sure because it seems to cut out when flexing the cup in and out. I know a couple others here own K701s, has anyone else ever heard of/run into this issue? What are the difference between a 4-wire and a balanced cable? Which is the easiest to install?

And thank you nvidia freak, Im copying your cable setup because I'm broke and yours looks good.

4-wire is probably pretty easy to do you just have to split the two pairs at your junction (probably a foot from the cups if they're individually wired, or internally if you have a single in / pass through over the to the other cup). The ground is just soldered to the same point at your 1/4" TRS or 3.5 mm jack.

hardnrg modded his I believe. There should be pictures around of his.

Whenever I get around to modding my normal headphones, I'm going to use a tiny set of cable pants to do the Y connection with full sleeving. This probably doesn't matter for the k701's unless you wire each cup identically.

Yeah it splits internally and passes through the top of the headphone. I guess 4-wire is the way to go. I saw hardnrg did the Y split but I assume thats tougher to install for K701s.

It's likely the one of the thin wires that connects to the driver. Take the earcup apart and clean it/apply new solder.

I checked these yesterday, but I just checked them again and as I was doing it the little white cable decided it wanted to live a free, independent life. Soldered it back on and all is well.

I'm glad I don't have to recable the whole thing but I should have noticed that yesterday, haha. I guess my thread subtitle was accurate. Thanks for the help and Ill keep the recable info in mind for the future.