Andrewr05

What is the best way to get people into computer games?

MMOs are a great way to gateway people into gaming. They are usually easy to pick up and provide a good chance for cooler talks. Additionally the chance to play with others makes the gaming feel more social.

For kids I suggest Wizards 101. We started our youngest on it last year at age 6, he was forced to read to play and his reading skills really improved within just a few weeks. Now at age 7 he is a solid Wizards player and has taken up playing Age of Empire and is actrually quite good at it, good enough in fact to beat mom.

Honestly, there is no best way. :dunno:

People either have an interest in something or not.

Think about all the things your parents tried to get you interested in. All you can really do is introduce someone to something, make it easy for them so its not frustrating to learn. If they are truly interested in something they will take it from there. They will go out of their way to learn more and get better.

Sounds like they were introduced to easy puzzle games - possibly mobile phone games - but show no more interest. Hate to break it to you, but they aren't gamers ...and definitely not PC gamers.

I agree with this, I just would like to introduce them into the next level, if they don't like it then so be it.

You don't really have to force em some people just don't like games

Yeah, I'm not implying that they're in the wrong for NOT playing video games.

I just figured i would try to get them into some things other that browser based casual games.

Half Life series. If they don't like PC gaming after that then they are a lost cause. :D

Ya never know, they may jump right into it and enjoy it.

After all it has one of the best and most unobtrusive 'tutorial' levels of any game.

It weens you into the movement aspect and the crowbar aspect while making it seems natural.

Two words and a number:

Team Fortress 2

Every time I play it I get addicted to it for a few months. IMO it's a great game to get into gaming, plus beginners can always just spam the heavy, pyro, or medic!

Half Life series. If they don't like PC gaming after that then they are a lost cause. :D

SO TRUE.

P.S. Andrew, just give them Crysis, I'll mail you my 570 so you can show them the pretty trees you can cut down! lol2.gif

Edited by MJCRO

You could starve your family and only feed them under the condition that they play computer games while they eat. They'll magically start to enjoy computer gaming. It's simple conditioning really.

Let me know if you'd like a copy of HL2. Still got 6 copies I can gift away from that $20 for 10 deal so long ago.

Sure, what do you want for one?

:D

Two words and a number:

Team Fortress 2

Every time I play it I get addicted to it for a few months. IMO it's a great game to get into gaming, plus beginners can always just spam the heavy, pyro, or medic!

Yuck, I can't stand TF2.

:P

Doesn't mean they wont though.

:/

P.S. Andrew, just give them Crysis, I'll mail you my 570 so you can show them the pretty trees you can cut down! lol2.gif

Hahaha sure, all for that.

You could starve your family and only feed them under the condition that they play computer games while they eat. They'll magically start to enjoy computer gaming. It's simple conditioning really.

:lol:

Okay I'll start tomorrow.

Sure, what do you want for one?

:D

Either the profile name to send the item to or pick an item you don't care about to trade with me, either in TF2 or you can spend money to trade a gift game with me. Seriously, I'm fine with just giving it to them for nothing.

Most all the Lara Croft games are immersive without getting too complicated and extremely cheap too. They have puzzles, guns, acrobatics, adventuresome storylines, you could just have them start with GAME 1 and go through all of them or at least a few.

What... But... Why? :P

Just... too much stuff going on for an FPS.

Plus as I've sated in other threads I love playing games but I suck at them so it's a always losing mentality too.

Either the profile name to send the item to or pick an item you don't care about to trade with me, either in TF2 or you can spend money to trade a gift game with me. Seriously, I'm fine with just giving it to them for nothing.

I'll owe you something if you ever need it.

Most all the Lara Croft games are immersive without getting too complicated and extremely cheap too. They have puzzles, guns, acrobatics, adventuresome storylines, you could just have them start with GAME 1 and go through all of them or at least a few.

Yeah those types of action/adventure platformers types are good, maybe I'll find some of those.