lmfao... most android phones can't run flash?

potatochobit

Since the iphone 5 is taking so long to release, I decided why not get something temporary in the mean time

some other family members recently got android phones and they like them

so i was at the target looking at pre-paid phones and the salesman showed me a smart phone,Virgin mobile

45$ a month, no contract - unlimited text, internet, messaging, 3G+wifi, built in media player, android market and decent talk time

man, this is a steal! my iphone bill is almost 100$ a month

- and it is a great deal, but it can't play flash!

why didn't they put this on the box?

apparently, I have last years high end model phone; it updates to android 2.2 but adobe doesn't support the previous generation processor (for whatever reason)

samsung intercept/moment ARM6

not that I need flash, my crunchyroll works fine, which is what I care about

but it would be nice to 'have' flash since I do have an android phone

people say android phones are nice since they can be modded... Ok, where is a flash mod that works? I can't find one

I guess what they mean is, "we can pirate 'official' apps..." haha

putting that aside, I have found one app that works, Skyfire browser has built in flash support

does anyone know a better way to run flash on an older android phone?

I dont mind using it, but you have to pay for a license

and I dont mind paying, but I would like something that has time controls like any standard media player, the skyfire just has play and stop

and in case you are wondering,

now that I have used both phone systems at length, the iphone OS totally blows away the android

just searching for apps in the android market is a chore

• Like 1

Saying a Samsung intercept is a high end android phone is like saying the original iphone is a top of the line smartphone. In this case, you got what you paid for, which is a cheap, outdated phone.

If you want "mod" it, google android roms so you have an idea what your doing and google samsung intercept roms to find specific ones.

I looked at a rom forum but it seems even flashing it would not add current gen. flash support

technology does indeed move ahead quickly and the samsung intercept is lacking- but to claim a phone is outdated because it is a year old is silly

but then, this could be why sprint is last in the smartphone race, even with their unlimited data plans the phones are weak

btw, one of the top selling smart phones for 2011 - this year - is the iphone 3GS which is over two years old now

owning this intercept shows me how far behind the android OS was, but at least now they are on par or better - spec wise

anyway, someone said dolphin browser could do flash, but I downloaded dolphin HD and it doesnt seem to

I do have a custom flash 10.1 APK installed, but it was for android 2.1, doesnt seem to work in any of my web browsers on 2.2

I guess I will buy skyfire since I cannot find a similar media/browser

edit:

Haha you should of just got the iPhone then.. Lmao.

Yeah, I still have the 3GS active. But we need two phones, so this android one is temporary until the new model iphone is out.

that is why I am being cheap and getting a prepaid instead of the newest model contract android phone.

Edited by potatochobit
  • Like 1

Great, Your going to be one of the ppl that go around and tell everyone that android sucks because "insert reason here".

Thats whats so great about android. You can find it on a worthless $50 phone (stripped of features because the phone cant run it) wich isnt a whole lot worse than yours, to a $600+ modern, high end smart phone. Just because it is "newer", doesnt mean its highend.

You got an outdated, slower phone that might have issues running certain apps. My old original droid that I have owned for 2 years has no problems running flash, and it was one of the first android based phones. My new LG Revolution has no issues running flash. To say that "Most androids cant run flash" is an uneducated, opinionated assumption that you, yourself conjured up because yours might not support it.

You are sounding like someone who just bought a $400 laptop with win7 and are upset that it wont run crysis. 99% of these people that do this, did absolutely no research on the subject before they made their decision.

Edited by sYstEmATiC

To say that "Most androids cant run flash" is an uneducated, opinionated assumption that you, yourself conjured up because yours might not support it.

I can tell you love your phone, but I'm not sure how much you know about android phones.

in case you did not know, no android phone with an ARM6 processor can run flash, it is not just my model, it is ALL OF THEM

I did not make anything up. it is plastered all over the web.

you may have very well bought the most expensive android phone in the universe but most people choose android for the sole fact that is cheaper.

and androids biggest selling point over an iphone is that it can play flash - unless it doesnt! :teehee:

edit:

btw, if a phone has 4G it is arm7, and if it is 3G only, probably Arm6

just a rule of thumb

Edited by potatochobit

Can you bios flash and hack iPhones? Make them perform past what you bought them for? Can you upgrade everything o it and make an original iPhone act like an iPhone 4. A lot of android users prefer this freedom offered to them also angry birds is free :lol:

I can tell you love your phone, but I'm not sure how much you know about android phones.

in case you did not know, no android phone with an ARM6 processor can run flash, it is not just my model, it is ALL OF THEM

I did not make anything up. it is plastered all over the web.

you may have very well bought the most expensive android phone in the universe but most people choose android for the sole fact that is cheaper.

and androids biggest selling point over an iphone is that it can play flash - unless it doesnt! :teehee:

edit:

just a rule of thumb

To say all of them have Arm6 is just ignorant...

And i dont think any of the 4g phones on the market have Arm7's((**Edit** Turns out Arm7 is the generation that the Cortex A8's and A9's fall into, so yeah, they have Arm7's i guess??)... As far as i know(ill be honest, i only spend about 5 minutes looking up specs, and am basing it off my personal knowledge, which very well may make me as bad as you) But as far as i know, all the new 4G phones are A8's or A9's...

Saying an A6 cant play flash really is like being mad that your brand new Pentium 4 3.0GHz wont play video's in full screen... You bought a phone that, while the phone it's self isnt that old, has an old processor in it.

You've been had! But not by Android, by Samsung, who sold you a "Last years top of the line phone" with 3 year old tech in it. It's not up to Android to say that your device cant play Flash, as far as the OS is concerned, it has the ability to play flash. But its not Androids fault, that Samsung put a processor in your phone that doesnt support all the features of the OS.

If you wanna hate on someone, hate on Samsung.

I looked at a rom forum but it seems even flashing it would not add current gen. flash support

The problem is that Adobe was too lazy to make Flash run on the ARM6 architecture. There are some roms for certain phones that have tried to hack flash in, but they just barely work if at all. I know there was one for the Eris/Hero that could sometimes play flash video, but it was a 2.1 rom and I'd rather run CM 7 than a 2.1 rom with barely usable flash.

technology does indeed move ahead quickly and the samsung intercept is lacking- but to claim a phone is outdated because it is a year old is silly

but then, this could be why sprint is last in the smartphone race, even with their unlimited data plans the phones are weak

btw, one of the top selling smart phones for 2011 - this year - is the iphone 3GS which is over two years old now

owning this intercept shows me how far behind the android OS was, but at least now they are on par or better - spec wise

The samsung intercept is a lot more comparable to the iphone 3g than the 3gs. And Sprint may have not have had a lot of good Android phones, but they had the original EVO, which was one of the best android phones for a very long time, and they have the Nexus S 4g, which is still one of the best here in the states.

Android's biggest selling point over an iphone is that it's an OS where you don't have to do everything the way Steve Jobs tells you to.

edit:

just a rule of thumb

Sorry, but no. There are plenty of arm7 phones that are 3g only. Your precious iphone is an arm 7 phone.

Edited by TheHippi