Realtek is craped! :(

perspex

hey guys, i just got a new pc and build it, and it turned out great and has been been working great for 2 weeks UNTIL NOW!!

I just got back from school turned on my pc and realized my headphones were not detecting, i unplugged it from the front panel and connected it to the motherboard directly, FAIL! I restarted my PC, FAIL! I checked if it was muted or not and it wasn't. I checked if it was set as default or not, and it was showing as NOT PLUGGED IN and for some reason my dell monitor was set as the default speaker.

On the realtek software, no mic and headphone input option is being shown, only Digital Output and Digital Output(optical). I went to device manager, uninstalled the realtek driver and resinstalled it, but still having the same problem. I am at a loss here and extremely dissapointed. Someone please just help me out here.....GOD! im so frustrated!

And my headphones are working fine i checked it on my ipad and i also connected some speakers, they failed to get detected also.

My motherboard is the GIgabyte Z68X UD4

If you are unable to manually set the option for the speakers either then I would say you are correct your realtek has died. The truth is though I had a less dramatic but bad experience as well with the same board and the audio. The front jack had a nasty crackle in it and the rear had it to a less extent. I finally had enough and caught a deal on Newegg and picked up a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series, was able to snag it for $109 with free shipping. Now in fairness I do a lot more with sound with most and I am pretty darn picky about it so I really wanted the shielded front mic inputs.

I would suggest picking up a solid sound card and not look back.

If you've already tried reinstalling the drivers, all I can really suggest is to go to Control Panel > Sound > Playback, and right click in the list of devices area and make sure both disabled and disconnected devices are ticked, and that the default device is set to the realtek device (if it's there)...

I went to the realtek settings and enabled DISABLE FRONT PANEL DETECTION, then it still wasn't working, i connected my headphones to the front panel and it started working. Like WTF MAN, but its not detecting as headphones its detecting as speakers :(

Sounds like you have tried just about everything, last resort you could reinstall Windows just to see if it fixes the problem (I don't think it will though)! I think you are right and your onboard audio has died. Whether you decide to take Ed's advice or not and get a sound card, I would be talking to Gigabyte about an RMA! Even if you do plan on gettting a dedicated sound card, if you ever want to sell the mobo down the road, you will want the onboard sound to work ;) I had an ASUS RIII that did the same thing. Tried and tried to get the sound working. But in the end it was just bad, and the board had to be replaced!

Open Device Manager.

See if Realtek Audio is showing in the devices list under Sound Controllers. If not report back here. If you see Realtek Audio in the list right click and select uninstall. You'll be asked if you want to uninstall drivers too. Select yes.

Reboot computer. New hardware wizard will start and reinstall the device and default sound drivers. Confirm that this has fixed your issue. If not, report back here.

Open Device Manager.

See if Realtek Audio is showing in the devices list under Sound Controllers. If not report back here. If you see Realtek Audio in the list right click and select uninstall. You'll be asked if you want to uninstall drivers too. Select yes.

Reboot computer. New hardware wizard will start and reinstall the device and default sound drivers. Confirm that this has fixed your issue. If not, report back here.

way ahead of you man, see what i wrote in the beginning, i tried everything! I have a bad feeling Speedway Native is right...my board is screwed up. I need to contact gigabyte....aww man, why does all this . happen on my first self assembled pc =.=

Sorry,

Miss-read your post - first time through I read that you uninstalled the driver, which isn't the same thing as uninstalling the device. My bad.

When you uninstalled the device and the driver did you manually clean out left over files / folders and clean out your registry? Sure, it's very possibly a problem with the board - but having to wait for a RMA sucks so I always make sure I've exhausted every other option first.