Kwok's New Computer- Second thoughts

HarryTaco

Hello Overclockers,

Back in May, I made a post asking for opinions and advice on a i5 Rig. I had quite the response, thanks to everyone.

I didnt proceed even though money isnt the issue. I just wanted to wait and see what was comming. What was comming still hasnt arrived, unfortunately, and time is now getting short. I will be playing SWTOR and I wont be playing it on my Sig Rig! That just isnt happening. So even though the timing may not be optimal for a new i5, it looks like thats just the way its going to be.

I changed up some items for more quality or performance items, and things I just liked, since the pricing has eased up a bit.

Here it is now. Please speak up and give your opinion. I have thick skin,,,, promise.

NEW BUILD

The Silverstone Raven and the X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional can be purchased from Amazon at a savings of over 80 bucks so I will order them from Amazon.

There is no Video Card listed because I found a Zotac AMP GTX=580 for $429 at my local Micro Center. Its a "pick-up" item only.

I'd say that's a pretty solid build overall. Should last you for a long time for any number of games, especially TOR. I'd suggest checking out the price of the 2500K at your local Micro Center, just to see if it's any lower than what Newegg currently is offering. If you need the CAS 7 RAM, that Mushkin is probably the better one to get. If not, a CAS 8 or 9 would save you some cash as well, but it's up to you.

I'd say that's a pretty solid build overall. Should last you for a long time for any number of games, especially TOR. I'd suggest checking out the price of the 2500K at your local Micro Center, just to see if it's any lower than what Newegg currently is offering. If you need the CAS 7 RAM, that Mushkin is probably the better one to get. If not, a CAS 8 or 9 would save you some cash as well, but it's up to you.

Thx ok BP. Yeah, I did shop the i5 around and found newegg to be within a couple bux on most sites.

I was thinking that the Mushkin would stand up well for what ever I wanted to do. I like Red to match the Mobo like the Ripjaws would do also.

Edit: Holey CPU Batman! I just checked Micro Center again BP, THX Man. I thought I had done that earlier.... looked up alot of parts around the web.

Micro Center i5 2500k = $179

Newegg i5 2500k = $219.

CHA-CHING!!!

Edited by Kwok

Doesn't Microcenter also offer a $80 $40 rebate on Z68 motherboards with a purchase of i5 2500k?

Maybe not.

http://l2.microcentermail.com/C2L/er.aspx?k=F0Pr9NNclolRearneRXqQQoNeuPXtOfjM1KnsDy92KLMMVkfcYgZeGEO_8t441l2

Hi,

Yeah they do but, I did check today.... the two top tier AsRock boards are not carried by Micro Center and Im getting, I think, $35 instant at Newegg.

So far Ive saved $40 bucks for posting today.... thx.

Edited by Kwok

Is a 1200W PSU really necessary when you are sticking a single GPU in there? Unless you are planning on adding a couple more cards at some point I'd knock that down to around 850W (which would still run two cards comfortably), and you could go lower if you are just sticking with a single card for the foreseeable future.

Edited by jammin

Thx Jammin. Yeah I could go with a PSU more in line with my needs. But Im all for the future. What ever it may hold. Thx for the advice.

Well I finally stepped off the curb this afternoon. I bought the i5-2500k and a Zotac AMP-GTX580 at Micro Center for $657 total, Tax included.

Also ordered a Silverstone Raven 02-EW and a X-Fi Fatality Pro from Amazon for for $295 delivered.

All the rest came from Newegg.

Im going from Win XP 32bit to Win 7 64bit. Will most likely have alot of questions about it and my Hardware interface.

Im on a Jury for a Court case that they say will last thru this comming week so everything should arrive by the time im done.

Thx for the help and suggestions Overclockers.