Looking for a distro

Psywar

I still to this day swear by gentoo. Portage is probably the best package management system next to debian/ubuntu's apt get system since it not only fetches most dependencies but it compiles each one from source. Though I must say each to his own. Source compilation does increase performance a little bit but its only noticeable on much older systems eg. K6-II.

I still to this day swear by gentoo. Portage is probably the best package management system next to debian/ubuntu's apt get system since it not only fetches most dependencies but it compiles each one from source. Though I must say each to his own. Source compilation does increase performance a little bit but its only noticeable on much older systems eg. K6-II.

Gentoo is great, but it is *insert phrase* hard to install.

I am using a USB install right now.

I have not had much time to play with it though. Hopefully this Friday I will be able to take it for a spin.

I already really like it though. The UI is quite nice.

If you have a memory card reader slot on your laptop, you can put BackTrack on an SD card, and then press the appropriate Fn key (e.g. F2, F8 to get the boot device loader menu after POST, and boot from SD card when you want to load BT)... otherwise it just loads the default OS/bootloader.

That's how I have it set up on my netbook, that way I can leave the SD card in all the time, and don't have to dual boot or mess about ejecting/inserting the SD card.

no... i am probably the only one who has gotten sick of star wars after hearing about it for 20 years.. it was cool, i had a star wars birthday party once

If you have a memory card reader slot on your laptop, you can put BackTrack on an SD card, and then press the appropriate Fn key (e.g. F2, F8 to get the boot device loader menu after POST, and boot from SD card when you want to load BT)... otherwise it just loads the default OS/bootloader.

That's how I have it set up on my netbook, that way I can leave the SD card in all the time, and don't have to dual boot or mess about ejecting/inserting the SD card.

d00d! That is so sexy!

I love it! Thank you for the tip! If all goes well tonight should be my last night of work for the weekend.

I am gonna get my homework done real quick and then spend the rest of the day working on BackTrack. I got like 3 routers setup in the house I want to try and crack into lol.

• 3 months later...