need help with PSU/PSU wattages

The HEC psu does have 4x6 pin PCI-E connectors like the others you suggested. The HEC model also has 4 +12V rails where the XFX core and the Corsair enthusiast only have a single +12V rail. :-/

The HEC has everything you need as you say but it doesn't appear to be a particularly good brand. I'm not saying you have to replace it because it may very well give you years of trouble free service but you asked for advice and I guarantee the majority of members will say exactly the same.

Multi or single +12V rail it doesn't really matter. The vast majority of power supplies have a single +12V source anyway and it's simply split via current limiting to provide multiple +12V rails. No difference to the operation of a PC with either type when used correctly but it could be argued that multi +12V rail power supplies are safer because the +12V rail current limits are substantially lower than the single +12V rail power supplies.

A single rail isn't necessarily a disadvantage nor is multiple rails necessarily an advantage.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

I actually found that article after I posted my previous comment :P

The HEC has everything you need as you say but it doesn't appear to be a particularly good brand. I'm not saying you have to replace it because it may very well give you years of trouble free service but you asked for advice and I guarantee the majority of members will say exactly the same.

Multi or single +12V rail it doesn't really matter. The vast majority of power supplies have a single +12V source anyway and it's simply split via current limiting to provide multiple +12V rails. No difference to the operation of a PC with either type when used correctly but it could be argued that multi +12V rail power supplies are safer because the +12V rail current limits are substantially lower than the single +12V rail power supplies.

You're right, and I'm very appreciative of the answers I've received! Power supplies have always been a veiled subject for me. I was really just concerned I'd fry my system, or something terrible, because I don't understand everything. I think I'm going to take the advice and eventually swap my PSU for a better brand. Now it comes down to finding a new power supply. Based on my build, is there anything else I need to have besides the 4x6 PCI-E connectors?

A single rail isn't necessarily a disadvantage nor is multiple rails necessarily an advantage.

http://www.jonnyguru...read.php?t=3990

+1

Single rail psu's are "generally" better. One of the problems with using multi-rail psu's is that you need to balance the load over the rails for the psu to operate to it's potential, and some of the cheaper brands will even fail if you dont have all the rails loaded. On top of that most of them wont tell you which connector is on which rail, complacating the issue.