case: cooler master HAF932

mainboard: msi 790fx-gd70

memory: 8GB (2x2x2x2) OCZ amd black edition ddr3 sdram 1600

proc: amd phenom II x4 965 3.4ghz

video: 2x XFX radeon HD 5850 in crossfire

psu: hec XP1080 800W continuous modular active pfc

---------

Hey everyone,

I need some help with my system and its PSU. I have a problem where my mother board died. I found out it could have been from either the power supply or the processor. I rma'd the processor and motherboard already and I want to make sure that the power supply really isn't the problem either. So I thought if the power supply is the problem it has to be something with the wattage and rails to different areas. I'm wondering if the power supply I have now is good enough or under powering my system which caused the problem. Also, should I need to replace it, what PSU should take its place? I appreciate any advice or tips as well!

Thanks!

Idk about HEC PSUs but the combined rails seem strong enough, I don't like that it doesn't have a 80Plus certification...

Idk about HEC PSUs but the combined rails seem strong enough, I don't like that it doesn't have a 80Plus certification...

Well apparently newegg boasts its super efficiency rating at 87%. It might not have a label certification but that's still better, right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339035

Well apparently newegg boasts its super efficiency rating at 87%. It might not have a label certification but that's still better, right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339035

I can boast my processor's OC is 400% efficent...but without verification, these are just bold false words.

Quad rails. :yucky:

I would say you fried your psu. each card will draw 325w, thats 27 amps. Your low rails only put out 22a, and your 2 bigger rails output 26a.

So gaming away your PSU is maxing it self out, even tho its a "1080w" psu.

Ditch that psu!! Hec are fairly well known for bad quality psus, I'm surprised it even managed to power your 5850s tbh.

Get yourself a corsair tx650/750 :thumbsup:

Ditch that psu!! Hec are fairly well known for bad quality psus, I'm surprised it even managed to power your 5850s tbh.

Get yourself a corsair tx650/750 :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's not even 80+ certified... so while they might claim it's SUPER EFFICIENT nothing is there to back those claims up.

Even if it wasn't the PSU, for any multi GPU build you should go for something of good quality. Don't trust high power builds with shady manufacturers.

HEC aren't the best power supplies out there but with the TDP of the 5850 being 151W and a total power consumption of maybe 500~550W at full tilt it really should be able to safely power your system.

I personally would still be looking at replacing the power supply with something around 650W but because you need 4 x 6 pin PCI-E connectors the Corsair TX650 isn't suitable so have a look at the XFX Core Edition PRO650W or step up to the Corsair TX750V2.

HEC aren't the best power supplies out there but with the TDP of the 5850 being 151W and a total power consumption of maybe 500~550W at full tilt it really should be able to safely power your system.

I personally would still be looking at replacing the power supply with something around 650W but because you need 4 x 6 pin PCI-E connectors the Corsair TX650 isn't suitable so have a look at the XFX Core Edition PRO650W or step up to the Corsair TX750V2.

The HEC psu does have 4x6 pin PCI-E connectors like the others you suggested. The HEC model also has 4 +12V rails where the XFX core and the Corsair enthusiast only have a single +12V rail. :-/