neddamttocs

What are your thoughs about online privacy?

48 members have voted

1. 1. How much info do you put onine?

• All
    • Some
    • Just what i want others to know
    • As Little as possible
    • Nothing
    • Other

One posted here commented on not using Facebook, I used to take the same approach, what I found was that if you use Facebook for just staying in touch, you know sharing a few pics and such then you really do not lose anything. In fact by NOT using Facebook you lose out on more than by using it wisely. I mean my show is giving away an SSD right now on Facebook, so by not being there you miss the chance to win. You do not need to post personal details, you just need a presence.

If you are worried about internet privacy my advice is get off the internet, that is the only way you can keep your life totally private.

While I do agree with you that if you use facebook wisely, it can probably be more beneficial to you but the problem with facebook is that no matter how much you try to be safe, facebook pretty much gives others on there, friends, the ability to bypass any attempt you make with ease. For example tagging photos, personally I don't like the idea of uploading my real face to the internet, so to keep people from complaining about my not having images on facebook, I use an image of that guy that pwns everyone in the WoW episode of south park, this one for anyone that doesn't know what I mean. However if my sister takes a picture of me, uploads it on her account, and puts a square box on my head with my name, this is giving her 700 friends she probably doesn't know, access to what I look like and a direct link to my facebook account. Nothing I can do to stop it though, or at least I don't know how if there is, but really that just goes back to using it wisely, if I have to spend hours babysitting my information on facebook, I probably don't need to be on facebook, it's supposed to be fun, not a chore.

While I'd really like to agree with you on that last statement, it unfortunately isn't true. Some examples of how your information gets to the internet without you knowing.

1. Newspapers, they don't just use paper anymore, kind of defeats the name but they don't care. If you're in one of their articles, you can bet that article is also online and on their website.

2. Friends and Family, sure they seem harmless enough, but they certainly do have the ability to give the internet your name, face, address, phone number, all the goodies. An example of this would be my cousin, who is currently in prison and was imprisoned before facebook got popular, she doesn't have the ability to create a facebook account, but she does indeed have a facebook account, becasue her mom made one for her.

3. Your government, if they feel the need, they will give all of your information to the internet. For example, the registered . offenders list, sure the idea is to empower neighborhoods to keep kids safe and all that nonsense, and it would be fine if that didn't consist of silly things that really aren't even sexual, like urinating in public, you end up on that list for that sort of thing.

Staying off the internet doesn't keep your information safe sadly, so you might as well go ahead and use it.

Man you put in my real name and you get 6-9 pages of Google stuff all about somethings I did to get the attention of the media and boy did it work....the power of the pen is a mighty thing still to this very day....you just need a larger paper and pen though

See now I never got into the whole username thing, I have used my real name a lot.

What are your thoughs about online privacy?

I think it's a good idea.

Thoughts our privacy online needs to protect people as much as possible it has been thus far a haven for anonymous and should remain so.

Edited by spectrascope

There isn't much about me that I would care if you did or didn't know about me to be honest.

If you google my real name you will find stuff only pertaining to me -- go me and my "strange" last name.

Well.. The internet is public. There is no privacy.

If there is something about you that you don't know nobody knows you better dont put it online. Not even on your e-mail. That is on someone's server HD.

When the data is out of your computer .. you might have signed a privacy agreement but well.. the data is out.. that is a fact.

Man you put in my real name and you get 6-9 pages of Google stuff all about somethings I did to get the attention of the media and boy did it work....the power of the pen is a mighty thing still to this very day....you just need a larger paper and pen though

Doc is a media whore :)

I try not to store any info. I have a facbook but it is set to only friends. No other social networking. I try to use crappy email accounts like hotmail when signing up for things. I hate banking on the internet and paying bills but I hate paper and checks more.

As little as possible, which I've actually accomplished somewhat. Just did a quick Google search for my name and I didn't see myself. Of course if you put in my username I am the first hit, and from there you can find my name. The best part about that is I can't even use this username everywhere, because of the non-alphanumeric characters and "GuestJim" does not lead to me.

Well. If you put your real name you do not appear on google?

If I put my real name I perhaps It does appear on google. However I saw a guy with the same first and last name and is not me (and is not so common).

If I put my real nickname Fragsman I'm the first and second page of google :P

Well I googled my full name and only a couple links came up, my name is probably one of a kind though so it would pretty easily make it's way to the first page at least.

googling my Username just shows my various accounts around the net really, as well ask links to aliens and mountains. :D