neddamttocs

What are your thoughs about online privacy?

48 members have voted

1. 1. How much info do you put onine?

• All
    • Some
    • Just what i want others to know
    • As Little as possible
    • Nothing
    • Other

Well another week another poll. This week we want to know what your thoughts are about online privacy? Do you put everything online, or do you try too keep as much as possible offline?

Again we have many options here so I will for go the actual 'poll' again this week, but i will put a poll up relating to privacy!

just enuff to buy stuff most of the time

+1, i have some stuff on my facebook, but i also know the people Im friends with there so its not too much (privacy set at friends only)

If you're online there is no such thing as Privacy....so I am not sure how to answer the poll...

My life is pretty much and open book and I dont hide anything and share just about everything....but I dont put my personal financial info out there for the world to see but everything else...there's facebook LOL

I try to limit what I put out but like the good doctor says...that doesn't help that much in reality

I voted "Just what i want others to know"

I don't actually try too hard to keep things private online anymore, I used to when I was younger though. As far as personal info goes, my name, height, eye color, or some crap like that, I don't really see giving any of it out as dangerous. I don't really actively go around the internet looking for strangers to hand the information out to either though, you know, you probably wouldn't post your name and address on an anonymous image board or something like that. :lol:

I've probably given out more information about myself on OCC than I have anywhere else actually, except for maybe facebook, though I do feel safer giving out my address on OCC than I would on facebook, I don't put it either one though.

Yep, odds are almost anyone can find out whatever they want about someone online, no matter what kind of "measures" you take to prevent it. It's always really funny, to me, seeing some people who are super paranoid about everything on the Internet. Like I said, if someone really wanted to find something out about you, they would.

Now, there are some measures to take to be safe, like with passwords, that should be pretty obvious to most people but not everyone. I know we shouldn't have to tell people this, but it is never a good idea to use the exact same password for every single site you visit that requires one. Seems simple, but I guarantee you know at least three people who only use one password for every site. Your password should not be the same one to log into your bank's website as it is for our forum. If it is, well, change it. Change it now.

Btw, Scott, you're missing a "t" in "thoughts" up in the title. :P

I voted other since the "playing field" is being changed about personal information by FaceBook, Twitter, and these other new "social networking" sites. Especially with the newer ones trying to write in things into their EULA's like the wonderful hidden option that gives them the right to scan your hard drive without you knowing! Sorry folks but it is true.

The nice FaceBook hidden tricks like ANYTHING you post is theirs FOREVER with no ifs, ands or buts and the buried trick they are using to "search" for info on you to help them build a better profile of you!! Thanks but I would rather keep my profile setup my way and with the info I want in it; not what they decide to dredge up.

People never read the EULA and would be absolutely amazed by what these companies are tryng to get away with. Of course most of it is to get info on you that can be sold to others and make a profit off your "data". Hey that is what the new order of the information superhighway is all about right now, money. The heck with you trying to forget that one time you got arrested for being at a party that got out of control even though the charges were dropped. Let FaceBook dig it up and post it online for all to see (including any employers who might be considering you) since the information is out there. Oh they didn't post the part about the charges being dropped? Sorry but we just had the info at hand to post and are not responsible for errors!! Yea good luck fixing that.

The power to supress information about yourself is rapidly disappearing as more and more "sites" require you to fill in more info and/or "require" you to join FB, Twitter, or some other sites.

And our wonderful government and law enforcement agencies are more than happy having these sites as it helps them keep track of you and what you are doing and your financial "health" so we will know how much taxing you will be able to afford (or not).

Big Brother watching you was always a chuckle back in the 80's as things were starting out, but now days it is not a laughing matter. The power to access things about you, your family, your life, and all the little tidbits from your past is becoming reality faster than many like to think.

Hey didn't you get suspended for 3 days when you were in grade school for fighting? Well we see that on your on line info. Sorry, that means we won't be able to hire you because you will need a security clearance and this shows you to be untrustworthy since you failed to mention it during out interview.

Good luck keeping info personal anymore.

Edited by beeiilll

I voted other, online privacy is an illusion and trying to keep it is like tilting at windmills. Between online mail services looking at your mail, people posted that last time they crapped on twitter, using Facebook as a way to air family dirty laundry, creating embarrassing moments for friends on you tube and more it has become all but impossible.

However I will go further, this concept of the right to privacy is actually pretty new socially speaking. Only as far back as the 50's no one really was worried about it. I mean it was not like you where doing anything you cared if others knew about. The same goes with the internet, if you have nothing to be ashamed of then what is the concern.

One posted here commented on not using Facebook, I used to take the same approach, what I found was that if you use Facebook for just staying in touch, you know sharing a few pics and such then you really do not lose anything. In fact by NOT using Facebook you lose out on more than by using it wisely. I mean my show is giving away an SSD right now on Facebook, so by not being there you miss the chance to win. You do not need to post personal details, you just need a presence.

If you are worried about internet privacy my advice is get off the internet, that is the only way you can keep your life totally private.

If you are worried about internet privacy my advice is get off the internet, that is the only way you can keep your life totally private.

Agreed 100%

Voted : "Just what i want others to know " but I'm sure there's more stuff out there that I don't know about.. but what can you do, it's the internet. Accept the fact that there's virtually no privacy online and move on.

As little as possible, which I've actually accomplished somewhat. Just did a quick Google search for my name and I didn't see myself. Of course if you put in my username I am the first hit, and from there you can find my name. The best part about that is I can't even use this username everywhere, because of the non-alphanumeric characters and "GuestJim" does not lead to me.