which distro

bishop245

I think I am going to just say screw it and format the whole hdd and install linux on it. Is there a good distro for learning linux ,or are they about the same when it comes to a learning curve. I have used Ubuntu for a few years off and on never as my primary OS though, so my skills are lacking. I have heard Gentoo can be a pain if your not sure what your doing, and Fedora I haven't used in forever. I am trying to improve my software skills on some things, so maybe this is a good starting point.

Max

I would suggest playing around and installing a few live CDs just to see which one you like best....

For learning and ease of use I prefer PC LInux OS

http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=10

now on that page they had more than 2 distros offered....and each was tailored to your liking...some vanilla and plain and others with all the 3D eye candy....

the thing I like about this version over others is that the stuff is already installed and you can just add more.

of coarse there are others but this is the one I like and its extremely easy to use

There is 2 more that they didnt list Gnome and Phoenix-xfce....I have them if you want to try them though

I am used to Ubuntu and how easy it is. I guess I should have said maybe a good one for a business day to day comp and maybe a lil harder than Ubuntu. If I am going to push myself to learn then I know I need harder software. I am reading various sites too to help myself answer my own questions, but I know we got alot of good linux users here. I do value good info and with all the time I have spent as a member of this site we have always had really good people for noobs like me to ask questions. I wish I was still one of the more knowledgeable people but alas I aint no more. :cheers:

I think you should stick with Ubuntu since it's the most widely used one. It's very easy to find some help for it on the Internet. BTW, if you download the latest Ubuntu but don't like the new Unity desktop, you can turn it off at the login screen.

There's also Linux Mint which is based on Ubuntu, so everything is compatible. Basically, they added some more packages installed by default and the color theme is not the same either.

Finally, there's also Debian which is what Ubuntu is based off. It's lighter than the latter but still very easy to use. Linux Mint also has a Debian edition.

I know Ubuntu is the easiest, I'll probably have to install one when I start my Linux/UNIX class this upcoming fall semester.

I really liked Mandriva for coolness factor when i played around with a live cd a year or so ago :)

booting into unbuntu 11.04 as of right now no more windows on the work comp unless they make me change it back but since i am the tech I would love to see the boss make me hehe and if things dont change our server is going to go linux too since it is also vista business and not real server software

booting into unbuntu 11.04 as of right now no more windows on the work comp unless they make me change it back but since i am the tech I would love to see the boss make me hehe and if things dont change our server is going to go linux too since it is also vista business and not real server software

Yeah Linux is pretty good for servers and machines you restart only once or twice a year. I think it's much more valuable in this market segment than on desktops.

I was actually needing to do this as well, as I am in a Linux class now. At school they are using Fedora Though. So this thread now has me trying to figure out if I should go with Unbuntu over Fedora. Has anyone on here used Fedora, because so far it seems pretty user friendly and easy to use. But, if there are advantages with Unbuntu, then I don't have any problems going that direction instead. When it comes to the GUI version of Linux, it doesn't matter since my class is like 99.9% command line anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup: