Dr_Frankenstein

Upgrade from Core2Quad Recommendations

Hi all

I have been running the system below for around 2 years or so and just upgraded the graphics card a couple of times, I am now a few generations behind and looking to do some catching up.

Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz

Gigabyte P35-S3

2x1gb OCZ Platinum

2x1gb OCZ Gold

GTX460 (This is staying)

I am on a budget and looking for to do the upgrade for £300 ($490ish) this includes the money made from selling my old parts.

I would like to overclock but also keep the system nice and quiet.

I have been doing some looking around and some initial picking out, but would like some comments or recommendations.

[CPU] Intel Core i5 2500k

[Cooler] Looking for recommendations

[Memory] Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel

[Motherboard] Looking for recommendations

Thanks

Edited by Dr_Frankenstein

:withstupid:

Agree agree and agree.

However because IVY has gone and done a marvellous job saving money consider the Antec Kuhler 620 to cool the cpu. That mother board and cpu cooler is tight with the ram slots. As well as most cases, what case do you have op?

:withstupid:

Agree agree and agree.

However because IVY has gone and done a marvellous job saving money consider the Antec Kuhler 620 to cool the cpu. That mother board and cpu cooler is tight with the ram slots. As well as most cases, what case do you have op?

The 2500K doesn't need the best cooler to overclock very high, I still vote for the 212+ but thanks for the agreements lol

My friend has the G45 version of the board and the 212+ fit just fine on his

Edited by IVIYTH0S

The 2500K doesn't need the best cooler to overclock very high, I still vote for the 212+ but thanks for the agreements lol

My friend has the G45 version of the board and the 212+ fit just fine on his

I have the z68-gd55 same layout as the p67-gd 53 and 55. The hyper212+ if you use it, works best mounted sideways only one fan using the rear exhaust as an intake so fresh air is pulled straight into the cooler. A second fan sits over the RAM and if it is turned 90degrees the fins sit over the first RAM slot which is slot one on the mobo and one of the two slots the op should be using.

However this setup I have runnning (with sub to 20C idel temps at 16-20C ambient, with 40C load) is only viable if there is an exhaust above the ram slots.

Also the other thing is being high profile the 212+ doesn't fit some cases.

If the op like me has a wide enough case and top exhausts I couldn't recomend the 212+ more, in the same config as me, as an excellent cpu cooler. Otherwise if space is an issue in the case the 620 is a great alternitive although unfortunately twice the price still cheaper than the H60 it performs better than.

I have the z68-gd55 same layout as the p67-gd 53 and 55. The hyper212+ if you use it, works best mounted sideways only one fan using the rear exhaust as an intake so fresh air is pulled straight into the cooler. A second fan sits over the RAM and if it is turned 90degrees the fins sit over the first RAM slot which is slot one on the mobo and one of the two slots the op should be using.

However this setup I have runnning (with sub to 20C idel temps at 16-20C ambient, with 40C load) is only viable if there is an exhaust above the ram slots.

Also the other thing is being high profile the 212+ doesn't fit some cases.

If the op like me has a wide enough case and top exhausts I couldn't recomend the 212+ more, in the same config as me, as an excellent cpu cooler. Otherwise if space is an issue in the case the 620 is a great alternitive although unfortunately twice the price still cheaper than the H60 it performs better than.

OP could get low profile memory like this then :popcorn:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-%282x4gb%29-corsair-ddr3-xms3-pc3-12800-%281600%29-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-27-165v

Ram should perform equally as well as the vengeance and marginally better (doesn't make a difference) than the low profile.

The low profile should fit under the cooler hyper 212+

Based off the size of the ram beside my 212+

now the other cooler no idea never heard much about it although just by looking at it the design of the 212+ will provide better cooling. For the sake of two pounds I would go the 212+

Now what case do you have? I need to know if it will fit before I can strongly recommend or not...

I have a Xigmatek UTGard its the version with the two side fan mounts.

I currently use Vapochill Micro Stealth (not the extreme version its a quiet fan) Here

Looking at the sizes I shouldn't have an issue installing the coolermaster

Sorry also, I have never spent so much on a motherboard before, I have been reading good things about the Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 which is £40 cheaper and has very similar features

Just looking for some final comments before I place the orders

[CPU] - £146.98 - new OEM from eBay

[Memory] - £39.56 - Ebuyer.com

[Motherboard] - £75.84 - Scan.co.uk (I get free delivery)

[Cooler] - £23.99 - Play.com

£286.37 total

looking at about £200 from my old parts

Edited by Dr_Frankenstein

I have a Xigmatek UTGard its the version with the two side fan mounts.

I currently use Vapochill Micro Stealth (not the extreme version its a quiet fan) Here

Looking at the sizes I shouldn't have an issue installing the coolermaster

Sorry also, I have never spent so much on a motherboard before, I have been reading good things about the Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 which is £40 cheaper and has very similar features

Just looking for some final comments before I place the orders

[CPU] - £146.98 - new OEM from eBay

[Memory] - £39.56 - Ebuyer.com

[Motherboard] - £75.84 - Scan.co.uk (I get free delivery)

[Cooler] - £23.99 - Play.com

£286.37 total

looking at about £200 from my old parts

Not that it should matter much with most cards, but the Gigabyte runs 16x/4x bandwidth for dual card configurations... The MSI runs 8x/8x and has SLI which are what I look for in a 1155 board.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Not that it should matter much with most cards, but the Gigabyte runs 16x/4x bandwidth for dual card configurations... The MSI runs 8x/8x and has SLI which are what I look for in a 1155 board.

Ok, I will never run a dual card set up so I am not concerned over this issue, I always stick to a single fast card