PC gaming is not dead

Muchoman1

Supposedly by putting out a dedicated platform that can't have components changed around so that game developers know what to aim for. It's like a Mac, but running Windows and able to play games designed for a PC.

I guess I'm really missing the part where it saves PC gaming? Or perhaps I don't even understand in what way PC gaming is dying really.

To me saving PC gaming would mean converting console gamers into PC gamers. However this new laptop would work against that idea entirely because one of the biggest problems console gamers always mention about PC gaming is how expensive it is, and honestly, this just proves their point I think. I mean we're a bunch of computer enthusiasts and technology lovers on this forum, and none of us would probably want to shell out the cash for that laptop, I think they kind of missed big time when an entire computer enthusiast forum isn't very impressed. That's just me generalizing a little bit by the way, I know some on here did say they liked it but from what I've seen the majority wouldn't buy it.

I guess I just don't really even get who their audience is with this thing, or who they're aiming for, it doesn't seem to be the console or PC crowds from what I can tell, I don't see the Apple fans latching onto this thing either.

Honestly I think this is just Razer getting in over their heads. This certainly isn't the first time they've created something that probably wasn't well thought out. seems like a repeat of the Hydra gaming motion controllers to me, a cute idea but not really there in practicality.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm really missing the part where it saves PC gaming? Or perhaps I don't even understand in what way PC gaming is dying really.

To me saving PC gaming would mean converting console gamers into PC gamers. However this new laptop would work against that idea entirely because one of the biggest problems console gamers always mention about PC gaming is how expensive it is, and honestly, this just proves their point I think. I mean we're a bunch of computer enthusiasts and technology lovers on this forum, and none of us would probably want to shell out the cash for that laptop, I think they kind of missed big time when an entire computer enthusiast forum isn't very impressed. That's just me generalizing a little bit by the way, I know some on here did say they liked it but from what I've seen the majority wouldn't buy it.

I guess I just don't really even get who their audience is with this thing, or who they're aiming for, it doesn't seem to be the console or PC crowds from what I can tell, I don't see the Apple fans latching onto this thing either.

Honestly I think this is just Razer getting in over their heads. This certainly isn't the first time they've created something that probably wasn't well thought out. seems like a repeat of the Hydra gaming motion controllers to me, a cute idea but not really there in practicality.

Im a bit pissed at this. i was hoping for the switchblade, as that would move pc gaming into the realm of the DS and PSP, which has never been done before, but this is just another laptop

Im a bit pissed at this. i was hoping for the switchblade, as that would move pc gaming into the realm of the DS and PSP, which has never been done before, but this is just another laptop

:withstupid: I agree. I was really hoping Razer would work on that Switchblade concept and give us a little 7-8" device that can play PC games. It'd be perfect and be a great way for gaming on the go, but now we just get a big laptop.

:withstupid: I agree. I was really hoping Razer would work on that Switchblade concept and give us a little 7-8" device that can play PC games. It'd be perfect and be a great way for gaming on the go, but now we just get a big laptop.

:withstupid: We want Switchblade we want Switchblade! REAL PC gaming on the go. Though, The Switchblade is still supposed to come out, right?

:withstupid: We want Switchblade we want Switchblade! REAL PC gaming on the go. Though, The Switchblade is still supposed to come out, right?

Last I heard it is still technically a "concept" device. Maybe they are waiting on the new batch of Atom chips, which I heard are experiencing a bit of a delay.

I don't see why some people are disappointed in the specs of this machine. As a 'console', those specs MURDER any console alive today. It won't be upgradeable, but thats the whole point. You pick a certain hardware configuration that is high-end at the time of launch (and the 555m is high end for a laptop GPU) and you don't change it for 5 years.

At first, the hardware is relatively powerful and so new games run beautifully on it. As time goes on, the hardware is relatively less powerful but designers are able to spend each refresh cycle polishing and optimizing games for the specific hardware and platform. Games keep looking great even if the machine isn't upgraded.

It also saves PC gaming because the current model is not affordable or enviable for the mass market. Most people DON'T want to worry about upgrading their chipset next year, or having to install an SLI solution to keep up with the new Modern Warfare game, or worrying about their cooling. We are a community that enjoys these things, but we do not represent the vast majority of gamers who just want to know: "Can it play WoW good?!!?"

I think this machine is not the answer, but it represents how we get there (and the Switchblade, of course).

It also saves PC gaming because the current model is not affordable or enviable for the mass market. Most people DON'T want to worry about upgrading their chipset next year, or having to install an SLI solution to keep up with the new Modern Warfare game, or worrying about their cooling. We are a community that enjoys these things, but we do not represent the vast majority of gamers who just want to know: "Can it play WoW good?!!?"

What the mass market really wants is something cheap. That's why the 360 is so popular, it offers gamers decent performance and visuals at a very low price, from the start. No console could start at a price like $2800 and succeed, the PS3 started at only $600 and it didn't do to well because of that, even though it probably has the better hardware, the masses don't care about that, all they see is the price and what shows up on their screen when playing a game, that's all that matters to them and the PC market really can't cater to that.

Edited by Deathmineral