Muchoman1

PC gaming is not dead

Yeah I kinda get where you guys are coming from, laptops have never really been fully built all around to be for JUST gaming, this could be the start of something cool. teehee.gif

To be perfectly frank that article is utter BS. :lol:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was shaking his head.

While it made some interesting observations, I thought most of it was exaggerated or just wrong.

This article puts it best:

http://kotaku.com/58...e-future-of-pcs

I thought the article was excellent. Even if you don't agree 100% with the author's assessments, he does bring up a lot of good points.

As for the Razer Blade itself, it's certainly very nice, but unfortunately that price is just killer. They should have at least thrown an SSD in there if they're going to charge nearly $3k, not that it'd still be worth the price at this point.

I'm not getting why having a laptop for portability is sucha a great thing.. To do any serious gaming you'd need a wired connection anyway. For simply moving it around a small case would be as good since you'd get the advantages from a desktop. :dunno:

I'm confused, how does this save PC gaming?

Supposedly by putting out a dedicated platform that can't have components changed around so that game developers know what to aim for. It's like a Mac, but running Windows and able to play games designed for a PC.

While I like the idea of the Blade, I think the price will be a make or break point for well, everyone. $2800 is a lot to swallow for a laptop that will get around 2 hours of battery life during a game, and just 6 hours at idle. Sure, it is nice that there will be dedicated platform, but it's running all laptop parts. Desktop components are, frankly, a touch more powerful and won't catch articles of clothing on fire during a game. If this was a dedicated gaming desktop PC that Razer built, then I could see it being the "savior" of PC gaming. As it is, it is the "savior" of notebook gaming, which means people can now choose between a Sager, Alienware, or Razer laptop for some "portable" gaming.

I have a laptop that can handle some games, namely older ones, and really, that is all I want it to be able to play. I don't care if I can't play RAGE on it, because that is not what I got it for. I got a laptop to have something portable to take with to school or on trips, something that I can easily carry with me, that lasts quite a while on the battery, and won't break the budget. I have a desktop PC that pretty much plays games and doesn't do a whole lot else, because that is what is convenient for me. It may not convenient for the target audience Razer is aiming at, but give me $2,000 and I will give you a desktop PC that blows the pants off of that gaming laptop any day of the week. Oh, and the best part is, user-upgradeable components that don't require you to buy a whole new system every year!

all i get from the kotaku article is he thinks it will just become another console made by intel/nvidia/razor - but one that is updated every year and costs alot.

but that it will save pc gaming somehow...

It looks really cool, and is a great idea but...

For $2800 I really expected a better card than the 555M from nVidia. Just sucks because I can configure a better laptop for less money, BUT it won't have the portability as this one.

Supposedly by putting out a dedicated platform that can't have components changed around so that game developers know what to aim for. It's like a Mac, but running Windows and able to play games designed for a PC.

Console much?

Console much?

I agree it is basically just a console...

PC - is any general-purpose computer whose size, capabilities, and original sales price make it useful for individuals, and which is intended to be operated directly by an end-user with no intervening computer operator.

To me this doesn't fit this discription anymore...

It fits the discription of portable gaming console (expensive one at that).

I'm not getting why having a laptop for portability is sucha a great thing.. To do any serious gaming you'd need a wired connection anyway. For simply moving it around a small case would be as good since you'd get the advantages from a desktop. :dunno:

I've gamed on WiFi before and there's hardly a difference. Of course, that's using my own connection and not some hotspot.

Also, I never understand why people make that argument about portability to begin with. Just because you get a laptop, doesn't mean you're only going to use it while on a train or plane. I used my laptop at home and at work and often connected it to a cat5 cable, but I wouldn't have lugged my desktop back and forth. THUS, the laptop provided me PORTABILITY.