PC gaming is not dead

Muchoman1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not what it is right now, but what its a sign of. Obviously, right now this machine is a niche gaming rig and will be beyond most people's budgets.

The concept is really awesome I think, and I really hope it can start catching on. The LCD buttons that change based on the game or task at hand via a customized UI is pretty sweet, and takes function/macro keys to a new level.

But imagine them putting more time into making this technology affordable and even more practical (a la the 7 inch prototype that was shown at CES this year http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/28929/ )...

Most people think between consoles and mobile/casual gaming, the PC gaming market will shrink (though not totally die off). I think consoles have to prove they can compete with PC features and performance before they steal PC market share.

But mobile gaming is another story, and this represents a hope that PC gaming can compete in the mobility market (maybe not handsets, but at least not always a full tower). At 7-10 inches, this would be like a netbook or tablet and finally bring real gaming out of my pocket and off my desk.

Right now, its a (svelte) 17" monster with a hefty price tag... but lots of potential. I'm happy to see it launch, and hope one has my name on it in the next couple of years.

Edited by LuckyDeath

This article puts it best:

http://kotaku.com/5834795/i-cant-believe-it-the-razer-blade-might-not-just-be-the-future-of-pc-gamingit-may-be-the-future-of-pcs

Razer, Intel and Nvidia have come together to do what no PC maker has been able to do so far and that is to "macitize" the PC space. One model, one set of drivers, it just works. This is why a lot of people buy Macbooks these days. They don't want to unwrap some software only to need to update two sets of drivers to make it work. I really hope they can bring the price down because I would replace my Macbook with this in a heartbeat.

Here's the spec's, pff for that much, I'd much rather buy a Sager.

The Blade

Price: US$2799.99

Availability: North America Q4 2011

Product Specifications:

· 2.8GHz Intel® Core™ i7 2640M Processor

· 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 Memory

· 17.3" LED Backlit Display (1920x1080)

· NVIDIA GeForce® GT 555M with NVIDIA® Optimus™ Technology

2GB Dedicated GDDR5 Video Memory

· Built-in HD Webcam

· Integrated 60Wh Battery

· 320GB 7200rpm SATA HDD

· Wireless Network 802.11 b/g/n Compatible

· Battery: 6 hours idle, 2 1/2 if playing "hardcore" game.

· 16.81" (Width) x 10.9" (Depth) x 0.88" (Height); 6.97lbs (Weight)

Edited by MJCRO

As has been said, this machine is not just about its hardware specs... it is more than just a Sager (and it's fine if you don't think it warrants the extra cost, but it is not the same thing).

As has been said, this machine is not just about its hardware specs... it is more than just a Sager (and it's fine if you don't think it warrants the extra cost, but it is not the same thing).

This.

The keyboard/screen/thickness are what make it special.