What would you do / should I

neko77025

As most on the fourms know, I have been tryn to get A 2nd 69XX for A crossfire setup. Right now I have A MSI T/F III 6950, I bought A 2nd about A month ago and its fan broke.. After RMAing it to newegg they were out of stock and refunded me. About that same time Sapphire started releaseing info on the Toxic 6950 So I waited for it. I ordered that , as my luck would have it .. it seemed to be DoA. RMAed it and got another it to had the same issues ( would not post solo / fan blew max With red led lit at all times ). That leads me too right now. I need (some ppl can say want) and 6950 / 6970. I really dont know witch I should go for. I was thinking about getting the MSI 6970 Lighting but it is 90.00 more then 6950 , also it does not come with any games. If I were too get some of the 6950s I could get another copy of Deus Ex / Drit 3 and sale them off too replace some of the cost ... I am sure the Lighting would have better resale. I can spend up too 400.00 on this video card.

First off , what is yalls experience with these companies.

HIS - I have never bought anything from them.

XFX- I have never bought anything from them.

VisionTek - I bought A Voodoo card from them YEARs ago ... and maybe an old geforce ( but that was when I worked at EB and got 1/2 off for employee discount )

What I would like from the card.

2gb - mostly want this for resale value when I go to upgrade, I know I dont need it.

Better cooling then stock - Preformance / resale value.

Custormer support - Good tech support & fourms.

What I dont want.

Sapphire - 2x cards in A row did not work.

Powercolor- Had A 6970 PCS+ it had some issuse but my main issue with them was their fourms / techsupport was 100% worthless.

6990 - dont need 3x GPUs ... yet.

3x slot card - (Asus

What I have to work with.

Win 7-U-64

AMD 965 @ 4.0Ghz

Asus m3a79-t deluxe

4x 2gb DDR2 @ 1033

MSI T/F III 6950

SB X-fi

Mushkin Chrons 120Gb SF-2281 W/ Sata III contorler card

Ultra x3 1000w

Lian-Li Armorsuit PC-P50R

Motherboard / CPU / Ram will be upgraded pending the outcome of Buldozer benches.

I have heard pros and cons of all those companies, but any of them should do the trick. I personally think XFX is bigger and a little bit better, but don't know if there are any numbers to support that. If I were in your shoes, I would go with the XFX because they have made some pretty decent products in the back.

Just throwing this thought out there, your second PCI slot isn't messed up is it? Having that much bad luck with video cards I'd give it a look.

Naw I have tested everything I can think of.

The Toxic 6950s will not work in any of the 4x PCI_E slots ( 2 - 16x and 2 - 8x )

The MSI T/F III 6950 Will work in any of them however it gets alot less fps in the 8x .. as it should.

I am really at A loss as why the Toxic would not work in my PC, and they both did not work the same way. I know it was not A driver issue base on the fact as soon as you power on the PC the fan on either of the Toxic-s fans would hit max in about 3sec .. I mean MAX .. that fan at max sounds like A delta fan. Also the red Led on the back would not go off. Now being the MSI-s card would work would lead me to believe both sapphires were DoA. The only thing that gave me A doubt was the Toxic-s used 6+8 pin and the MSI used 6+6 pin. With that being that I even tryed the adpaters that came with the card the 2x 4 molex = 8pin .. still usen that it would not work. Also I made sure too change around where the PCI_E cables to all cards were pluged in To/ and from, The toxic did the same thing no matter what 2 of the 6 cables I had and witch 2 of the 4 slots the PSU used. The MSI on the other hand would work with and of the 6pin cables & psu slots. Also I have ran A powercolor 6970 pcs+ and it would post and kind of work ( that was when they first came out and i think all the pcs+ had issues .. went to the msi t/f III after poor custormer support on PowerColors behalf )

Also wanted too test the Toxic in another PC however only person I know that could fit / run this card lives in austin (hours away) ... took it to 2x Mom and popshops too see if they had comps that could run it - The first one lol. when they saw the card they tryed too tell me that was Professional Graphics card for Graphics Editing and that why it was not working in my comp. I looked at the dude as he was the dumbest person I have ever seen and walked away. The 2nd place ask me alot about my compstats & said I should try these ( witch I had ) , in the end they wanted 40.00 to test the card , told them I would play 5- 10, cause it only took 3mins to install. but that was a no go .. so I just RMAed it

Edited by neko77025