Do you prefer backlit keyboards

VaporX

67 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to use a backlit keyboard

I hate mediocre keyboards more than pretty much anyone... I took one of my Cherry keyboards to work when I was temporarily using a Dell PC at work because the crappy cheap Dell keyboard was just too horrendous to use continuously, it felt like trying to type on a bunch of croutons laid out on a pillow.

This is actually one of my reasons for why I'm afraid of mechanical keyboards, almost everyone I know that uses them honestly comes off a little bit snobby or pretentious about keyboards.

I'm not saying they're wrong though, I can't say that, and I assume they're correct about it but just the attitude about mechanical keyboards tends to really distance me from the idea of getting or even trying one out sometimes.

I like my keyboard, and I like the idea of backlit keyboards.

I don't see it as useful though, and therefore I would not miss it if my backlighting did not work.

Then again, when it's off I kind of feel depressed about it...

SO I guess it's a feature I like, but not one that is high on my list of things required by a good keyboard.

This is actually one of my reasons for why I'm afraid of mechanical keyboards, almost everyone I know that uses them honestly comes off a little bit snobby or pretentious about keyboards.

I guess I am a bit of a snob for some things, audio equipment, tools, keyboards... I just appreciate well-designed products, it's not that I'm pretentious, it's just like yesterday I was helping a friend put up a bathroom cabinet. It was from Ikea, and the hinge bases had 1/4 turn integrated expanding "screws" that fit perfectly into ~8mm shallow holes, they literally took 3 seconds to install each instead of the usual hinge bases you get that use 2 or 3 pathetic screws that you have to line up and try to hold straight while keeping the hinge base in the right position.

See, now THAT is awesome, I love that design, why aren't all cupboard hinges that easy? Why don't all keyboards all have awesome key action?

You must use something on a daily basis that is better than bog-standard, and appreciate and benefit from its design and quality...

A lot of my stuff is quite old because it is very well made, built to last, and I don't have a reason to replace them due to them lacking features of newer equipment (e.g. my main amp/speakers set-up was bought in 1997).

I don't think it's very hard for anyone to think of something they find annoying when it doesn't work properly. One of mine is keyboards.

I guess I am a bit of a snob for some things, audio equipment, tools, keyboards... I just appreciate well-designed products, it's not that I'm pretentious, it's just like yesterday I was helping a friend put up a bathroom cabinet. It was from Ikea, and the hinge bases had 1/4 turn integrated expanding "screws" that fit perfectly into ~8mm shallow holes, they literally took 3 seconds to install each instead of the usual hinge bases you get that use 2 or 3 pathetic screws that you have to line up and try to hold straight while keeping the hinge base in the right position.

See, now THAT is awesome, I love that design, why aren't all cupboard hinges that easy? Why don't all keyboards all have awesome key action?

You must use something on a daily basis that is better than bog-standard, and appreciate and benefit from its design and quality...

A lot of my stuff is quite old because it is very well made, built to last, and I don't have a reason to replace them due to them lacking features of newer equipment (e.g. my main amp/speakers set-up was bought in 1997).

I don't think it's very hard for anyone to think of something they find annoying when it doesn't work properly. One of mine is keyboards.

I can understand appreciation for high quality products, but I just meant that with keyboards in particular, that is the kind of attitude people seem to have about them and so it worries me that I might become that way if I were to get a mechanical keyboard. I think it actually makes more sense for me to say that I'm afraid or insecure about the idea rather than calling others snobs for it, mainly because I'm pretty certain I could end up feeling the same way if I gave it a try.

I'm definitely a fan of higher standard products though, however it does depend on the product in mind. For example I love my sennheiser 280 headphones, they're certainly the best sounding pair I've ever used and because they're such great quality I don't mind the pricetag on them. However I have found that some people who consider themselves audiophiles to, more or less, giggle at or imply that my headphones are mediocre compared to $500 pairs, this kind of goes back to my snob comment, I think it works as better example perhaps than the keyboards.

I like backlit keyboards, never used a mechanical one. They seem a little too expensive vs upgrading hardware performance.

I've been using a saitek eclipse for years... the ESDF keys are completely see-through now, no recognizable letters ;)

Ha! S, D, N, M, and Shift keys are faded on my Saitek Eclipse 2.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Never used one, dont want one.

2. I almost never look at the keyboard.
  3. I hate bright lights around my workstation(everything gets black sharpied)
  4. I cant afford a backlit mechanical keyboard.

I chose my last keyboard specifically because it was backlit. The erason beigh the entire build and where it is going to be situated for life is theamed with blue lights.

But in most cases I will go with good build quality and performance and go with something like lighting or looks if it costs no extra and sacrifices no features. Like I wouldn't mind getting an albino R.A.T.

Nope for all the reasons mentioned so far, it'd be nice on a laptop that has an untraditional key layout in the dark but no for a desktop...like ever :thumbsup:

I think that's a good reason, one of the things I'm most interested in for the Razer switchblade thingy.