New Over clock

andywebb22

Hey everyone hows it going? I recently just built a new computer and I noticed yesterday that it my CPU was running at 98C when I was ripping DVDs to my HD. So I ordered a corsair hydro H80 yesterday and it should be here tomorrow. I have done a little research and found that this is CPU cooler is good for overclocking and now that I am going to have one I was trying to get into it. I also ordered a RAM cooler as well(not sure if I need one tho). Basically I was just wondering what else I would need to get a good over clock ( I'm aiming for 5ghz )also what is some good software or best way to overclock and to monitor your system like desktop gadgets?

Here are my specs:

CPU - Core i-7 2600k

MOBO - ASUS Sabertooth p67

RAM - 16gb g. skill ripjaws

GPU - HD Radeon 6970

CASE - Antec 1200

any help would be appreciated! thanks!

If you hit 98 C with your stock cooler you had it mounted improperly or your ambient temps are insane...I'd fix that before spending any money on a new cooler.

If you hit 98 C with your stock cooler you had it mounted improperly or your ambient temps are insane...I'd fix that before spending any money on a new cooler.

It seems mounted correctly as far as I can tell and I already got the cooler mainly bc I want to learn how to overclock.