Future of Graphics

tkrow21

I always wondered why they couldn't develop cameras that provide similar pictures...instead of using pixels, they could scan the environment with a laser or something to get detail beyond what the human eye can see. But this stuff will be incredible if it ever comes to market.

Part of the problem is probably the time involved in the scanning. It's fine if it's sitting there still and you have a tripod, but if it's something that moves, even slowly, it will cause problems.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you use multiple lasers with different colors, what you will get is distances from the camera to the environment, like the 3D scan systems mentioned in the video. Even then, I'm not sure if the laser detector would be able to discern color from currently. Definitely possible, I'm just unsure of present detector capability. Also, it would take a really long time to get a single image and for large distances the laser would be useless due the refraction and diffraction the air would cause.

If you mean just using a system that has much higher resolution, even surpassing the human eye, use film. Film can have a much larger area than the photoreceptors of your eye, though I'm unsure how grain size compares to them.

I know there would be complications, that's why I'm not a millionaire haha But for still-life photos, the sort of scanning-photography technology is not too far off. Since they are scanning 3D images into the computer now, who's to say they won't be able to do this with photography years down the road? I think it would be a cool innovation :popcorn:

Notice they talk about how much detail they have but they never mention the memory requirements or anything else even vaguely technical about it.

Lots of atoms == lots of memory == more memory with more models == limited detail.

See what I did there? :lol:

I know there would be complications, that's why I'm not a millionaire haha But for still-life photos, the sort of scanning-photography technology is not too far off. Since they are scanning 3D images into the computer now, who's to say they won't be able to do this with photography years down the road? I think it would be a cool innovation :popcorn:

All 3D cameras move around the target (usually pretty slowly) to get their scans. A 2D scan with depth does add information - but probably not the kind of information that'd be horribly useful.

I am sure this kind of platform would require a beast of a computer, but technology will catch up. Years ago, 12gb of ram was unheard of but now it's fairly commonplace. Although, if they can keep it programmed such that only the visible particles are being rendered, then the only issue would be speed and size of system ram, not vram.

I am sure this kind of platform would require a beast of a computer, but technology will catch up. Years ago, 12gb of ram was unheard of but now it's fairly commonplace. Although, if they can keep it programmed such that only the visible particles are being rendered, then the only issue would be speed and size of system ram, not vram.

Point clouds use a LOT more memory than polygons by nature. I'm not even sure why the company thinks that's a selling point...

hahaha nice...well we can safely assume this won't be out for a while

Yeah.

They don't even have any images larger than a thumbnail and they haven't shown a single model ever moving. I can't imagine, based on their description of how it works, that animation will ever be possible with this engine (if it even works at all).