Diablo 3 Requires Constant Internet Connection

edwardquilo

Bad news folks: we can't play Diablo 3 without an internet connection. You can still play the game solo, as long as you're logged in to Battle.net's servers. But if you're not connected to the 'net, there's virtually no way for you to play the game. I suppose this was inevitable.

I wonder if the game will automatically save my progress if my unreliable wi-fi signal suddenly disconnects me.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another reason (besides bugs/glitches and price) to wait awhile to get D3.

I will guarantee that within a few months of release there will be a hack that seamlessly integrates integrates into the game.

Don't get me wrong, they mean well with this, they just don't understand how many people they're going to alienate.

This isn't anything new... just gonna have to except the fact that more and more games these days are going to require a constant internet connection. Software piracy is as bad now as it ever has been. Now I'm not for or against the piracy software, nor will i say if i take part in any forms of piracy for obvious reasons. But I support the fact that developers ought to be allowed to protect their product and their business. Business's get patents for their products and those patents are enforced by the law, but what really protects software? Sure if you get caught you can get in trouble, and the law protects a video game. But lets be fair, people almost never get caught/held accountable for software piracy. And the people that do, and usually the ones that created/uploaded the hack, not the users. So the hacker might be caught, but thousands of people got the game for free because of them. If you cant caught them after its been pirated, why not just prevent it form being pirated in the first place??

If YOU(I'm not speaking to anyone in particular) worked for years and years to create something you'd do the same too, wouldn't you? Gotta make money somehow, unfortunately for us, this situation typically means they make money and we lose it. Oh well! biggrin.gif It will probably worth my money after i poor 100+ hours into the video game after just one sleepless week. woo.gif

Now I am disappointed that they are forcing you to use the internet for the game. In D2 your single players/Lan characters were separate from your battle.net characters. This way you could play/hack/noob it up, all day long offline, but when it came to playing online, you had to deal with the battle.net servers.

I could get mad and be all like: "Im not gonna buy this stupid game protected by some dumb DRM, online only... blah blah blah blah blah..." but I'll be honest, I've played every game blizzard ever made and every single game they make is one of the best games I've ever played. So I'll end up buying D3, and I'll love it. After 30 seconds I'll forget all about not being able to play offline and then that's that.

cheers.gif

Another reason (besides bugs/glitches and price)[/-] to wait awhile to get D3.

I will guarantee that within a few months of release there will be a hack that seamlessly integrates integrates into the game.

Don't get me wrong, they mean well with this, they just don't understand how many people they're going to alienate.

Honestly they aren't going to alienate anyone that matters. The only people who will be turned off are they diehard of the diehard. People are still going to buy it regardless. Blizzard doesn't officially support DRM, but they want to more create a system where the user wants to log into. A robust system with tons of features. Honestly I think this will be a non-issue, people play Starcraft II and it has the same model...

but they want to more create a system where the user wants to log into.

It's funny how Blizzard says that, while forcing people to log in to play.

Doesn't bother me, since I played Diablo online with friends or random strangers anyways, so I'll be online regardless. Players looking for that singleplayer, could create a private room and lock it. If you don't have internet or your connection is bad, you're in a very bad position if you want to play Diablo 3 :(

Edited by Krazyxazn

Honestly they aren't going to alienate anyone that matters. The only people who will be turned off are they diehard of the diehard. People are still going to buy it regardless. Blizzard doesn't officially support DRM, but they want to more create a system where the user wants to log into. A robust system with tons of features. Honestly I think this will be a non-issue, people play Starcraft II and it has the same model...

As much as I love SC2 and Blizzard I have to disagree. SC2 uses a slightly different model. You only have to activate online and then reactivate every 30 days or so but you can still play offline. Granted still not the best solution but its a different model then always online. There was a TON of backlash from that so I was very surprised to see this decision. The developers did such a fantastic job with SC2 that if it did three things differently - 1) no online requirement, 2) no region lock, and 3) LAN play - i have no doubt it would have gone down in history as one of the best PC games ever produced. It is just so polished and well developed but those 3 things clouded so many minds from seeing the good sides to the game that there was no way it would live up to the hype.

Blizzard is still my favorite gaming dev but this decision is kind of a slap to the fans. Fans complained big time over the online activation that SC2 uses so to move to online all the time for D3 is kind of like saying, "we really don't care what our fans think". Then implementing the sale of items for real money pretty much punctuates what all the negative people had been saying all along - they only care about $$ and not about the fans. This is not the trend I expected Blizzard to follow - I expected better from them.

I won't say they're a bad company or I won't buy any of their products but this is definitely one decision I don't agree with. And as much as I really hate to say it... purely on principle. Honestly I am mostly bitter that SC2 didn't receive the recognition it deserved for creating one of, if not the best sequels I've ever played. The developers deserve so much praise for their hard work, but it got over shadowed by those 3 decisions.

I'm not disagreeing that a company wants to keep their IP and not lose any money (I'm a shameful pirate, I pay for some games/movies/software and not for others) but I disagree with this method.

I could see something to the effect of once a month at YOUR leisure you have to make contact with their servers and validate, but to me the constant internet thing is beyond ignorant.

If you wade through the typical Reddit jokes there are quite a few good points made HERE.

I haven't read everyone's response, but just wanted to say that if it's handled anything like SC2 (which I'd be surprised if it's not), then you do NOT have to be online to play, you only have to log into your B.Net account once a month. My friend stationed overseas does that. Obviously he can't play online, but he has access to all the single player features.

If you cannot connect to the Internet once a month, then you probably have very little business buying PC games to begin with :P

I could see something to the effect of once a month at YOUR leisure you have to make contact with their servers and validate, but to me the constant internet thing is beyond ignorant.

I haven't read everyone's response

Noted.

If it's handled anything like SC2 (which I'd be surprised if it's not), then you do NOT have to be online to play, you only have to log into your B.Net account once a month.
See above, that would be awesome if that's how it was.

Like stated about, I don't think people will have to play online. It will have single-player, but you just have to be logged into B.Net to play. Much like how Steam has you log in to play any of your games. Yes, you can play offline, but it still has you log in. They just don't want people playing a game that is not linked to their account. I see/have no issue with that.