l1o2l

Apple iPod touch Cable Charging Issues

My iPod touch 1g doesn't charge with my cable, but charges with my friend's iPod touch 4g cable. Also, I tried out my cable on his iPod and it charges his.

I looked at the cable's pin layouts, and they both have 5 pins but one pin is moved.

Anybody know what happened? And I thought all iPod cables are the same.

Just switch cables? Was this the cable you got when you originally got your iPod and it stopped working? Or maybe that was a 1st gen iPhone cable or something... weren't those a little different?

I know originally they had the iPods charge via firewire. Which on the cable still conntects via USB, but that's how it was designed. Then later on changed to USB charging vs firewire. Which I'm sure they changed pin layouts. Could be the other way around as well.

It's like the iPod plug on my car. It would charge my buddies 1st gen iPod but it would not charge mine. Come to find out I needed to get an adapter to allow it to charge. Probably the same issue.

If it's the cable that came with your iPod and just stopped working recently, well then you may have a problem internal to the iPod. In which case, either A) buy a new cable or B) send it into Apple and have it fixed for XXX money.

Okay, I just tried my friend's cable on my desktop. I immediately smelled a burning electronic smell, now the cable won't charge my iPod, but still charges his..

I think it's the ASUS AI installed on the computer. Zzz... Are Apple cables not rated to go above a certain amount of current?

Ordered a new cable off eBay, and hopefully my computer doesn't kill the new cable. .