redturner15neo

New portable gaming rig idea

You want to be able to plug into the AC mains supply for the majority of the time and use battery power when this isn't available?

The problem here is two systems, a normal ATX power supply for mains use with the ability to run from battery and a minibox/pico psu when no mains are available which makes things a little complicated.

What you could do is fit a fairly powerful single 12V rail ATX power supply and use its 12V rail to power a minibox/pico psu and monitor whilst plugged into the wall that switches over to battery when AC mains isn't available.

...or you could just build a "normal" LAN box type set-up and have a separate battery/invertor unit available and charged when you need it? (This presumes you have transport and don't have to carry this lot around with you?).

<br>No not really,no thanks.I want something expandable,it doesn't have to be a gaming beast,but I want the option to upgrade the hardware as better technology becomes available.<br><br>As for the battery thing the reason why I am so resilient to doing the DC PSU thing is simply because most the time I want to be able to plug this into a wall socket at a friends house. The reason for having a battery is simply for the situations where I find myself waiting somewhere without access to power,as I often do. From what I understand I can't play while the battery is charging and I don't have the option to plug it into the wall. Given the priority of long term use in a lan party sort of circumstance should I just forget the idea of a battery in all?<br>
<br><br>Ok its just that a lappy with a HD 6650 would do ok...

<div><br></div><div>UPS?</div>

You want to be able to plug into the AC mains supply for the majority of the time and use battery power when this isn't available?

The problem here is two systems, a normal ATX power supply for mains use with the ability to run from battery and a minibox/pico psu when no mains are available which makes things a little complicated.

What you could do is fit a fairly powerful single 12V rail ATX power supply and use its 12V rail to power a minibox/pico psu and monitor whilst plugged into the wall that switches over to battery when AC mains isn't available.

...or you could just build a "normal" LAN box type set-up and have a separate battery/invertor unit available and charged when you need it? (This presumes you have transport and don't have to carry this lot around with you?).

Hence why I decided to say IF I do try to make it run on a battery power it will most likely be via inverter just for that reason. I believe this will start as a basic LAN box

Alright if you wish to go an inverter, then you should think about just doing a normal atx motherboard build.

Now if we went and assumed 80% efficencies (this assuems that you rate your inverters corrrectly because even if you get some deal on say a 3kw inverter it will be less efficent than a 1kw, which is being used closer to its max)

Alright if we go and say that you need 400watts for your rig, the psu will need to draw 500watts and the inverter then 625watts

So that is a further 18amp draw on a battery a difference of 33 and 51amps however as you would have needed to uses some sort of dc -dc ps for the mobo there would have been a loss anyway (these power supplies however boast 95+% efficienciees). So in reality in a rather normal situation, it is safe to assume that all of you extra stuff inverter and psu, on a standard 50ah battery would make the difference of gaming for 1.5hours (35amps) or 1hour (50amps).

I would suggest a battery like the Stinger SPP2250 made specifically fo car audio so it is designed with capacity and long term use in mind.

(insert the last thing you said here)

Ok,but I don't need 400W. at most 300W,and running on the least amount of power possible it could use as little as 150W. With a battery like that one I could probably get pretty good battery life if all I'm doing is browsing the interwebz right?

Anyhow,I've decided that until i'm done just building it for stationary use only I won't worry about battery power.