redturner15neo

New portable gaming rig idea

You definitely need it because 110wh is 9ah over those 17 hours giving him 153ah. Now If it is a real battery with a 150ah capacity then I want this battery now if it exists......

A 150ah lead acid car battery of this capacity 25kg plus probably even 30kg if you are not paying absolute premium

Now a lith ion battery can have up to 4x the capacity for it's density making it still about 6-8 kg now my whole laptop is only 5kg all up....

:withstupid:

:withstupid:

ok,ignoring the argument over a laptop battery capacity (which I find slightly believable because my friends ASUS I5 lasts 14 hours on a standard battery while web-browsing), I wanted to share a little more info on my progress solving the power constraints of batteries. First of all I HAVE decided that I want to go with an inverter,for several reasons.

1: When not using battery power it's MUCH easier to plug in the power supply and monitor into a plug than have to haul around a car battery charger.

2: while it may not be entirely accurate, a few different people I've asked have told me that 2 5000MaH batteries that output voltage in the proper range of said inverter (invert functions on 12-15 volts, batteries together put out around 14.4) should have a battery life ranging from 2-3 hours,which about suits my needs atm.

3: I REALLY don't want to mess with wiring all the components into DC, I've heard it's a horrible pain. Even though I have the great support of OCC at my disposal, electrical things have never been exactly my cup of tea, I'd rather not turn my mobo into a bomb on accident. :ouch:

Now if someone can tell me directly why the inverter is a BAD idea,I'm just going to consider that part of this solved for the time being.

ok,ignoring the argument over a laptop battery capacity (which I find slightly believable because my friends ASUS I5 lasts 14 hours on a standard battery while web-browsing), I wanted to share a little more info on my progress solving the power constraints of batteries. First of all I HAVE decided that I want to go with an inverter,for several reasons.

1: When not using battery power it's MUCH easier to plug in the power supply and monitor into a plug than have to haul around a car battery charger.

2: while it may not be entirely accurate, a few different people I've asked have told me that 2 5000MaH batteries that output voltage in the proper range of said inverter (invert functions on 12-15 volts, batteries together put out around 14.4) should have a battery life ranging from 2-3 hours,which about suits my needs atm.

3: I REALLY don't want to mess with wiring all the components into DC, I've heard it's a horrible pain. Even though I have the great support of OCC at my disposal, electrical things have never been exactly my cup of tea, I'd rather not turn my mobo into a bomb on accident. :ouch:

Now if someone can tell me directly why the inverter is a BAD idea,I'm just going to consider that part of this solved for the time being.

5000Mah is not a unit, i think you mean 5000mAh(milli ampere hours)=5Ah, which at 14.4V would yeild 5*14.4=72Wh, so one hour battery if you computer draws 72W, i.e NOT 2-3 hours for 300W

Inverters are bad because you lose efficiency. There are 12V ATX powersupplys and 12V computer monitors (thanks for link paul). Car batteries are 12V problem solved.

Edit:

get a car battery (55AH=264Wh ~ 50min battery time maxed out, more is obviusly better) and:

Motherboard power:

http://www.mini-box.com/M4-ATX?sc=8&category=981

Screen:

Insert Pauls link here

GPU power (if needed):

Cut a PCIe power cable from an old PSU and add it to the battery (yellow to +, black to -)

Edited by medbor

Also do not run the computer while plugged into a battery charger very dangerous for you and the battery/computer

Everything medbor said about the units and life is correct and web browsing is not as draining as gaming on a battery. I can browse for hours on my laptop but if I try and game I am lucky to get an hour

Do you want this set up for serious gaming or just browsing the internet? Laptops are optimised to save battery power but I'll guarantee you won't get anywhere near 14 hours from any standard laptop that's constantly gaming.

1: An inverter is designed to turn a DC supply into a AC supply so this statement makes little sense? You want to go with an invertor when not using battery power - impossible! The invertor needs DC power to work, a battery of some description in your case.

2: If you need a steady 300W to power your PC and monitor, and that's presuming you're gaming, two 12V 5Ah batteries give you a total of 10Ah or 120W for an hour or 300W for approx. 25 minutes!

3: If you really do not want to mess with wiring or anything "electric" then this project is probably not for you! ;)

This thread has grown a little but my initial understanding is you'd like to game on this PC for 2 hours from a 12V supply? An invertor makes things a little more difficult because of the losses converting 12VDC to 115VAC so keeping everything powered from 12VDC makes more sense. (If this is the case you need a 12V 50Ah battery).

In what laptop can you possibly find this desktop CPU?

my bad it is a 2520...our new desktops have the 2400 in it. It's easy to get confused around here haha

Read pauls post above take it in

Understand we are not trying to stop you from doing thus project but if you are not confident with the electrical side of things. Then u suggest you invest in an extension cord 15m 15 amps and a power board. Then proceed to looking at some lan cases with handles

Edited by Stonerboy779

Actually I was just looking to see if people had a good reason to be against that setup, seeing as 25 minutes is nowhere near how much I want to be able to get out of it I guess I must go the route of said minibox power supplies,especially with the simple setup suggested by medbor. However, does anyone have a link to a place to actually by one of these DC 12v monitors?

Actually I was just looking to see if people had a good reason to be against that setup, seeing as 25 minutes is nowhere near how much I want to be able to get out of it I guess I must go the route of said minibox power supplies,especially with the simple setup suggested by medbor. However, does anyone have a link to a place to actually by one of these DC 12v monitors?

Medbors suggestion has been made a few times now by me paul and others without reading back over

Also the link to Mini Box as well as specific power supplys as such has been made multiple times.

We have told you repeatedly about the life of batteries trying to explane differences between laptops and gaming pc's and their respective life.

Now hinging on what car battery you get you can power your system for reletively long periods of time on a rather intense system. You could go the smaller system that isn't going to give much gaming performance and use a rather standard and relitively cheap car battery rated at 50-60 ah or you could get a performance battery as such that could potentionaly have 150 ah.

The pc will not draw 300watts constantly that is a peak or benchmarking value as such. So if you build it to that you could see another 30-40% life while gaming. A 50ah battery would mean nearly 2 hours tops where the 150 would mean potentially 5-6 hours. Which means if you build a more powerful gaming rig and incorporate the larger capacity battery you could have a high performing portable rig that would work for 2 hours or there abouts. Details specific to parts.

You will need to do some electrical wiring that is on the whole rather simple you do not need to mess with electronics its just providing power.

And the link for said 12 volt monitor has also been given, please read back through all the posts we have tried to help.

Nothing I have said is intended to be nasty, I wish to help but you need to try and take on board some of the things being said esspecially this formular ( Power = Voltage x Amps )

Motorcycle batteries are definitely a no-no! I have had a few two wheelers and the batteries don't carry charge for long. Leave your light on for twenty minutes and you are glad you can kick it or push it.

Laptop?

No not really,no thanks.I want something expandable,it doesn't have to be a gaming beast,but I want the option to upgrade the hardware as better technology becomes available.

As for the battery thing the reason why I am so resilient to doing the DC PSU thing is simply because most the time I want to be able to plug this into a wall socket at a friends house. The reason for having a battery is simply for the situations where I find myself waiting somewhere without access to power,as I often do. From what I understand I can't play while the battery is charging and I don't have the option to plug it into the wall. Given the priority of long term use in a lan party sort of circumstance should I just forget the idea of a battery in all?