New portable gaming rig idea

When looking at batteries be sure to find the bit which tells you how many amps it can supply for one hour. Given as x amp/hour where x is a number if x was 100 the for one hour that battery could power 1200 watts as you rig won't require such drastic amounts of power and is probably going to be near towards the 600 mark you will get 2 hours put of it if you want more playing time then consider a larger battery around 150-200 if you are willing to pay that.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When looking at batteries be sure to find the bit which tells you how many amps it can supply for one hour. Given as x amp/hour where x is a number if x was 100 the for one hour that battery could power 1200 watts as you rig won't require such drastic amounts of power and is probably going to be near towards the 600 mark you will get 2 hours put of it if you want more playing time then consider a larger battery around 150-200 if you are willing to pay that.

How about 2 batteries together both 7.2 volts (rated for 5000 MaH), with a 400W inverter?Is there a way to estimate the battery life of that? (monitor draws 20W and computer draws 300W at maximum)

Do not use an inverted you will be wasting your money instead head over to minibox or a site like it and get a dc to dc atx power supply. Use a car battery and then you'll be looking at a really decent portable rig (because weight wasn't too much of an issue correct?) that can power 500 watts, i think you will want some extra power down the track if you are going to be upgrading parts. Also I can pm you a way to set up a small car amp with some car speakers for some real good sound out of your rig if you want. As to the monitor it is possible to get inverters designed specificaly for a tv screen. I'll have a look into it (i used to fit aftermarket systems, alarms ect. Into cars 12volt ftw) so ill use my contacts see what they would reccomend for best result I only worked with 12volt screens, never got to do a tv. Not working there now cos of uni.

Edited by Stonerboy779

Okay mate i sent an text to the guy i was working with that did the 32" in the car. He told me that he had used something like this http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-led-24-fhd-led-tv-pvr-hd-tuner/ on the job. Exact model isn't there anymore however the screen quality was good only thing is the inbuilt speakers are hunks of ., however they were never used considering a full car sound system. Anyway if you want to find something like that my advice search for caravan tv's that'll be your best bet. Kogan only ship australia wide.

Try to find yourself a monitor that runs from an external 12V power supply then you can ditch the inverter. (Something like the Iiyama Prolite E380S that requires a 12V DC input at 33W).

If you want 2 hours at about 330W then you'll need a 12V 55~60Ah battery that will be about 25kg!

Try to find yourself a monitor that runs from an external 12V power supply then you can ditch the inverter. (Something like the Iiyama Prolite E380S that requires a 12V DC input at 33W).

If you want 2 hours at about 330W then you'll need a 12V 55~60Ah battery that will be about 25kg!

+1 to pauls monitor suggestion

Edited by Stonerboy779

The question I have is, what video card will you be using? I didn't see any mention of it, and there is no way in hell you will have an enjoyable experience playing black ops on integrated graphics. I like this idea though, but using sandy bridge components could net you a lot more power for the electricity consumed. My sandy bridge i5-2400 work laptop gets 17 hours of battery life of 110wH of battery with a 15.6 inch screen and 4GB of DDR3 in it. It also runs CS:S and DNF at 80fps and 40fps respectively with onboard graphics.

The question I have is, what video card will you be using? I didn't see any mention of it, and there is no way in hell you will have an enjoyable experience playing black ops on integrated graphics. I like this idea though, but using sandy bridge components could net you a lot more power for the electricity consumed. My sandy bridge i5-2400 work laptop gets 17 hours of battery life of 110wH of battery with a 15.6 inch screen and 4GB of DDR3 in it. It also runs CS:S and DNF at 80fps and 40fps respectively with onboard graphics.

I was pretty sure I mentioned it. Depending on what price range I find myself able to afford it will either be a 6450 or 6570, possibly a 5650. I was looking at low-pro cards.

Do not use an inverted you will be wasting your money instead head over to minibox or a site like it and get a dc to dc atx power supply. Use a car battery and then you'll be looking at a really decent portable rig (because weight wasn't too much of an issue correct?) that can power 500 watts, i think you will want some extra power down the track if you are going to be upgrading parts. Also I can pm you a way to set up a small car amp with some car speakers for some real good sound out of your rig if you want. As to the monitor it is possible to get inverters designed specificaly for a tv screen. I'll have a look into it (i used to fit aftermarket systems, alarms ect. Into cars 12volt ftw) so ill use my contacts see what they would reccomend for best result I only worked with 12volt screens, never got to do a tv. Not working there now cos of uni.

I already decided on my monitor, it's a 17" widescreen that I know for sure draws only 20-30 Watts at most. I was hoping to use an inverter so I could power them both from one power source. Also from what I keep seeing it appears that the mini box PSU's only have power for the mobo,or are there other rails available (I need atleast one SATA and a 4-pin 5V)

I already decided on my monitor, it's a 17" widescreen that I know for sure draws only 20-30 Watts at most. I was hoping to use an inverter so I could power them both from one power source. Also from what I keep seeing it appears that the mini box PSU's only have power for the mobo,or are there other rails available (I need atleast one SATA and a 4-pin 5V)

Have you purchased it yet? If not i would advise looking at a monitor like the one paul suggested which has a direct 12volt input... However if not you could by a car cigeret ligter adapter (it is on a 5-10 amp circuit useually so you can inverters of 50-60watts to 100-120watts quite easily at auto stores (reminder power is constant asuming no losses it is the current and voltage that will cahange not the power))

As for powering your micro atx board something like this http://www.mini-box.com/M4-ATX?sc=8&category=101 would help it's 250watt rms i don't see you needing more with this you could oc to your hearts content and run really decent ram and still power your hdd ect.

The graphics card any of those hd 6xxx and 5xxx series cards take is a 12v input and ground return. You can make up your own wires or take some from an old and dead psu just cutting loose the spare. That way it is going to be able to take the power it requires without you worring about overloading the psu. I would recommend placing a fuse as protection in as well as it is not going through a psu so you need to find out what its max current draw is and get a fuse slightly above.

I strongly recommend against the use of inverters if you have a 12volt sorce going to something that is primarily 12volt do not step up to step down you will get losses (less eficient and more noisy)

If you need help with any concerns regarding wiring feel free to ask me or antone else

Hope all this helps good luck

(PSU wire colours in a standard atx psu btw are yellow-12v+ red-5v black-common orange-3.3+ grey-12v- (don't touch generally when modding) purple-5v+ (most handy wire a standby wire good for projects that require memory kept))

PROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF! :mellow:

You definitely need it because 110wh is 9ah over those 17 hours giving him 153ah. Now If it is a real battery with a 150ah capacity then I want this battery now if it exists......

A 150ah lead acid car battery of this capacity 25kg plus probably even 30kg if you are not paying absolute premium

Now a lith ion battery can have up to 4x the capacity for it's density making it still about 6-8 kg now my whole laptop is only 5kg all up....

Alright THIS is a $210 battery rated at 8400mAh which is 8.4Ah now thats for over $200 where do you get a laptop that can supply more..... His 110wh was not supplying that for those 17 hours he was using 6.5 watts an hour drawing 0.5 of an amp that was ony on and had every program closed and the screen sleeping most likely :glare:

Edited by Stonerboy779