redturner15neo

New portable gaming rig idea

Alright,I'm new to this forum so apologies in advance for posting like a nub.

The past week I've been pondering the idea of a small rig made especially for portability, but still with enough power to play things like Farcry 2, Crysis, COD: BO, etc.

Here's what I got so far,a VERY simple model made in 3dsMax,just to explain the general idea

Project01x5_1.jpg

The mobo is green, HDD is light blue, DVD drive is dark blue, power supply is red, and the integrated usb hub is pink.

Project01x5_2.jpg

This ones just another angle so you can see how things are arranged vertically.

There will also be audio cable extensions running to the side by the hub, this is because the motherboards rear will facing towards the right.

Again I have to stress that this is very much just a early sketch-up to generate idea,though it is to scale and I have decided on hardware for the most part.

Hardware will be:

ZOTAC NF610I-K-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7050 NVIDIA nForce 610i Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

GIGABYTE GV-R645D3-512I Radeon HD 6450 512MB

APEVIA ITX-AP250W 250W Mini ITX Power Supply

Intel Celeron E3400 Wolfdale 2.6GHz

Mushkin Enhanced 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM

Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s

Hanns-G 17" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor (mounted on top with a custom hinge mount)

I'm also looking for a way to run it on battery power,however I haven't been able to find out if that's possible or not, if anyone has any ideas on that please let me know. So far my only Idea is to use a UPS, which is rather heavy and bulky compared to a laptop battery and doesn't have anywhere near the same capacity.

Edited by redturner15neo

Why 775? Those are quite overpriced are they not? DDr2 RAM as well. Unless of course you already have all the components.

Food for thought batteries are dc so you'll need to use some form of transformer that will introduce noise most likely to your system. I would suggest looking at some carputers that use microatx boards and use specially deigned powersupplies that work with the 12v car battery.

You can get relatively small car batteries (that's in proportion to a computer case but your battery life won't be fantastic) my other thought is why not just go with a gaming laptop? If you wish mod that.

I would look at. A75 micro ATX motherboard with a AMD A8-3850 and a Radeon 6670. I do not know how well it will play Crisis but it should hold its own for a mainstream system.

If not look at an Intel I3 or I5 coupled with a micro ATX motherboard. Your choices are a bit outdated.

I would look at. A75 micro ATX motherboard with a AMD A8-3850 and a Radeon 6670. I do not know how well it will play Crisis but it should hold its own for a mainstream system.

If not look at an Intel I3 or I5 coupled with a micro ATX motherboard. Your choices are a bit outdated.

I realize my choices are rather outdated, but that's primarily because of low power consumption and low cost. Right now I'm rather strapped in the way of resources. I have been thinking of possibly bringing it up to a AM3 system, but I still only want 2 or 3 cores at most.

Battery power is possible. Take a look at some of the pico and car power supplies offered by Mini-Box.

I took a look at what they offer here,but I can't see how that would help me make this run on a battery. Do you know of a power supply that would be able to power the whole system with an integrated rechargeable battery?or a rechargeable battery pack I can plug this rig into?it's mostly for small LAN parties, but I would like it to be able to run on battery for at least an hour or 2

car batteries are about 12V ... (something like 10.5V - 13.8V depending on charge)... you connect that to a DC-DC psu... and then to the motherboard.

I think you'll have a hard time making a portable computer that doesn't weigh a ton because of a battery that has enough capacity to last 1-2 hours... you'd be hard pushed to achieve that on a laptop for most LAN party games, possibly down at the 1 hour end, but 2 hours you'd need quite a lot of capacity in a battery...

Why the need for a battery? LAN parties have power... also, why not just buy a laptop? How portable will your system be without an integrated monitor?

car batteries are about 12V ... (something like 10.5V - 13.8V depending on charge)... you connect that to a DC-DC psu... and then to the motherboard.

I think you'll have a hard time making a portable computer that doesn't weigh a ton because of a battery that has enough capacity to last 1-2 hours... you'd be hard pushed to achieve that on a laptop for most LAN party games, possibly down at the 1 hour end, but 2 hours you'd need quite a lot of capacity in a battery...

Why the need for a battery? LAN parties have power... also, why not just buy a laptop? How portable will your system be without an integrated monitor?

Actually I just haven't designed the monitor mount. Weight is only a little bit of a concern. Besides, so far this rig is made to run on almost as little power as my laptop.

Also I don't see the point in modifying a laptop,cause I want something that I can buy better hardware for instead of replacing the whole damned things. I tend to do upgrades piece by piece.

I guess if weight doesn't matter all that much, you could maybe use a motorbike battery as suggested, together with a DC-DC PSU, and have the case and monitor fold together or something, attach some wheels and a telescopic handle, and it would sort of be like a cabin suitcase that you could pull along... better than carrying it all eh, just wheel it along

Anyway, I think if you got the following, you'd solve the power issue:

- motorbike battery (or car battery if you really don't care about weight)

- motorbike/car battery charger

- DC/DC PSU

I guess if weight doesn't matter all that much, you could maybe use a motorbike battery as suggested, together with a DC-DC PSU, and have the case and monitor fold together or something, attach some wheels and a telescopic handle, and it would sort of be like a cabin suitcase that you could pull along... better than carrying it all eh, just wheel it along

Anyway, I think if you got the following, you'd solve the power issue:

- motorbike battery (or car battery if you really don't care about weight)

- motorbike/car battery charger

- DC/DC PSU

The thing about the DC-DC PSU is that that is only for the computer. What about the moniter? is there anyway to make a standard plug (like a house plug) that is drawing from the battery? That way the computer could have a normal PSU and the monitor could have power as well.

*edit*

I've actually found a rather nice inverter that should do the trick.It has 2 sockets so 1 for the computer and 1 for the monitor. I'm going to see about moving things around in the case to make room for a battery.

Edited by redturner15neo