Different Windows? Why?

Cespenar

I have run many configurations where running one or two dedicated graphics cards has taken away from the total OS memory resource. I think it may be due to the OS mirroring the graphics memory for buffered rendering, etc.

But, whatever the reason was, when I ran SLI with 768MB cards on a 4GB RAM system on 32-bit OS, I barely had 2GB of OS memory left... ~2.2GB I think. This doesn't occur on a 64-bit OS.

Thanks all,

dr_bowtie: XP works fine for now, but the memory is definitely down.

Dan The Gamer: I have 4 gig installed and the System only recognises 3 gig. (I checked) I have 2 x 8800GTX's. I don't use integrated graphics.

Silas13013: At age 65 I probably wont be able to even see the desk, let alone the screen, come 2038. And If I could, I'd probably be using Windows 25 or something.

Hardnrg: As I mentioned, 3 gig is recognised out of 4. The two 8800gtx's probably keep this below the usual 3.2 or 3.5, whatever.

The only thing to worry about with a change to 7, 64bit would be: Can I play games I have now, STALKER series, Titan Quest Immortal Throne, Freelancer, Dungeon Siege series, Sacred 1 and 2, and the old faithful, Never Winter Night, Oblivion??????????? Oh yes! FEAR 2 and FEAR 3 if I buy it.

I'd probably be using Windows 25 or something.

HAHAHAHA Good one XD

Yeah Oblivion def works on 7. Dunno about others as I don't have em.

Edited by nickk47

Ces - Windows 7 shouldn't create any issues with the games that you are playing now. I don't have every title that you do but I can confirm compatibility with the following;

Stalker

Titan Quest

Freelancer

Oblivion

Fear 2

Personally I haven't found a single program that I use that worked on XP that won't work on Win 7. Some folks report one or two apps that aren't compatible - but I really have a hard time believing that since Win 7 has a very robust XP compatibility mode.

Bells and whistles aside - Windows 7 is virtually indestructible. I mean I've put my installation through hell on more than one occasion, and on stuff that would have blown up an XP install but Win 7 just keeps on trucking. I was an early adopter of Vista Ultimate 64-bit (which I liked a lot by the way) and Windows 7 64 bit in a couple different flavors. Vista 64 was good, Win 7 is great. After you use Win 7 for a while you'll be hard pressed to go back to XP. It just seems clunky compared to Win 7 after you get used to it.

The thoughts I presented above only apply to personal computing - all of my personal stuff is running Windows 7, but our company network is still running XP Pro on the clients and Server 2003. The primary reason for that is cost. If I could afford to move everything to the latest OS releases I wouldn't hesitate.

You shouldn't have any issues playing just about any game on windows 7, it would have to be a pretty old game to have issues to start with and even so most older games will probably work just fine. Even if you come across games that give you problems, there is usually a fix or patch for it to play properly again.

Don't like the thought of 8!

I don't like consoles or console type games. Just personal pref I think.

Wevsspot, you have made my day! I think I should get 7 before my son goes for a new tower. It might mean he wont have to splash out on heaps of HW. Of course his rig is weak, so, his decision.

And XP, I think is probably robust enough for business, but not being a business man ...... don't quote me. (Some small business's here in Dubbo still use DOS programs to run there stuff. Go figure.)

One bit of info aside ... Win98 was a real headache for me and my son. WinME was a superb OS for us. It amazes me to read and here of the opposite for so many users.

Thanks so much for the input guys. 2038 here I come. I'll be 92. Do you think MS will cater for blind deaf and ... incontinent people?

Thanks so much for the input guys. 2038 here I come. I'll be 92. Do you think MS will cater for blind deaf and ... incontinent people?

I'm sure by then they will jsut beam the OS into your neural implant and you will go from there :biggrin:

Anyway, I can also comment on the ability to play old games, aside from the rest of your list (which all work in my experience), STALKER is one of my favorite series and I play it constantly. You will have 0 problems there.

Glad to hear that Ces. I'll echo what several have said before... Win 7 isn't a MUST have upgrade if you're happy with XP. But the flip side of that is once you go to Win 7 you'll never regret it, and in fact may actually cringe at having to use a XP based PC :)

Specific things about Win 7 I love that I failed to mention before;

The new search feature, functionality and engine are outstanding

Indexing service actually works darn fine

Networking for the most part is a breeze

I have yet to download and install an auto update that actually breaks my OS :)

<br>Don't like the thought of 8!<br>  I don't like consoles or console type games.  Just personal pref I think.<br><br>Wevsspot, you have made my day!  I think I should get 7 before my son goes for a new tower.  It might mean he wont have to splash out on heaps of HW. Of course his rig is weak, so, his decision.<br><br> And XP, I think is probably robust enough for business, but not being a business man ...... don't quote me.  (Some small business's here in Dubbo still use DOS programs to run there stuff. Go figure.)<br><br>One bit of info aside ... Win98 was a real headache for me and my son.  WinME was a superb OS for us.  It amazes me to read and here of the opposite for so many users.<br><br>Thanks so much for the input guys.  2038 here I come. I'll be 92.  Do you think MS will cater for blind deaf and ... incontinent people?<br>
<br><br>

<div>Metal Gear Solid? </div>